Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put on the SW Motech tank bag and have conflicted feelings about it.

Pros:
  • waterproof from the go; no cover needed
  • easy on/off for gas
  • plenty of space inside for a camera, glasses, cap... whatever
  • full turning lock can be reached
  • lid snaps into place with a handy magnet
  • elastic straps inside to secure sunglasses, pens, etc.
Cons:
  • doesn't conform to the slope of tank; because it hangs over, inside weight distribution has to be managed carefully
  • to reach full turn lock the case has to be all the way forward
  • not easy to open with one hand (when riding) because there's a lid over the zippered top

Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Fuel tank Automotive tire White Automotive lighting Vehicle
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle
White Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
8,650 Posts
Not a fan of tank bags, but each has to do what they can to get useful and safe functionality. You effort looks fine for its size and circumstance ("circumstance" being Africa Twin fuel tank).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love tank bags. So handy. I just have not found one that fits our bike well.

Has anyone found a tank bag that fits our tank, does not conflict with the bars at full lock, and does not get in the way when we need to stand and get a bit aggressive?

I last tried the Giant Loop Buckin Roll. In theory, it sounds perfect. The problem is the bars hit before full lock. Next, I think I need to try a Mosko Moto Pico. The only issue is $185!! for a 1litre bag. $230 if I want the cell phone pocket. That's a lot for a wee bag.

·
Registered
2020 CRF1100 - ATAS DCT
10 Posts
In case you are considering it, I have the SW-M Pro City tank bag - based on a recommendation that it would fit. It looks great on the bike, but unfortunately the side pockets interfere with the controls before reaching full lock, even at the most forward position. I just ordered the spacer that's available which will raise the bag 12mm off the tank ring and hopefully it will clear the controls.

Some say its fine for a little contact at full lock but when contact with the controls alters the riding mode, or the transmission mode without your intention - that can be problematic. Also, because it is pulled back to the position with the least amount of contact, it is very awkward when standing.

Absent the side pockets, the bag would be perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In case you are considering it, I have the SW-M Pro City tank bag - based on a recommendation that it would fit. It looks great on the bike, but unfortunately the side pockets interfere with the controls before reaching full lock, even at the most forward position. I just ordered the spacer that's available which will raise the bag 12mm off the tank ring and hopefully it will clear the controls.

Some say its fine for a little contact at full lock but when contact with the controls alters the riding mode, or the transmission mode without your intention - that can be problematic. Also, because it is pulled back to the position with the least amount of contact, it is very awkward when standing.

Absent the side pockets, the bag would be perfect.
That’s good to know. I have the City pro on my BMW G310GS right now and I’ll be buying my dad’s AT in a week or so. I’d been debating selling the motech with the BMW or buying the tank ring for the AT. Love the bag and the attachment mechanism.

Has anyone tried the Mosko Nomax with any great success? I like my tank bag, but I also like being able to stand up on any sort of incline, steep or otherwise…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts