Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm heading out on a multi-river crossing ride soon.
Some crossings will be long and deep (2ft deep) enough to swamp the bike, if I *uck-up.
Has anybody had this mishap and swamped their bike?
Does water get to the OEM paper air filters? Did you need to remove them to get the bike going again?
Any feedback would be much appreciated,, Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry mate, I've done a few creek crossings but not deep enough to drown it if it went down. Looks like you are going to be the test pilot on this one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry mate, I've done a few creek crossings but not deep enough to drown it if it went down. Looks like you are going to be the test pilot on this one.

GULP! Thanks DD.
I will try to keep it upright, if not you will hear about it.
Wish me luck. :eek:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Keep it upright even if you have to walk it across. Getting to the air box is a real pain with regard to removal of the panels, especially out on the trail.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TEST PILOT reporting,,,,
Well, rocky ass bottom rivers and yep as expected I put it down once, on R/H side, lucky it was only about 16" deep,
Still deep enough to put r/h air intake and complete OEM muffler under water.
Quick thinking I hit the kill switch asap, I'm sure that saved a lot of pain.
Got the bike upright with some HELP, pushed it out on dry land with some more HELP, then watched the water drain out of the drain hole at the base of the Muffler for about 5 minutes, (small hole and big Muffler, holds a lot of water :( )
Did not remove any filters, hit the starter button, wound over a few times then fired up, thank god.
I'm sure hitting the kill switch asap saved my bacon.
Although I think Griff's advice is best, if unsure "walk it across" :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not something that fills your heart with joy is it, when that intake goes under? Killing it asap was a smart move, although I thought today's bikes had a tip-over engine kill anyway. How does your oil look? Do you think any water got in?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Glad you made it out OK. It will be interesting to see what you find when you get into it.
I hope everything is OK.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Suggestions for water crossings

Seen lots of guys come to grief on some serious deep crossings and some shallow ones too! I always walk across first if in dought. My first suggestion is to throw away the paper filters, replace them with foam! After that, if you do give the bike a deep water dunking and can't get the bike upright in a suitable time frame the I suggest the following.

1) Don't try and start the bike
2) Start dropping down the crash bars and remove the crash bars
3) Take out the (foam filters), and squeeze them dry. If they are dry and there is no evidence of water on them (you don't need to go to step 4). Just put everything back and start up the bike but make sure the mufflers are not filled with water! IF the bike has been under water then go directly to step 4!
4) Remove the spark plugs
5) Get your mates to help you stand the bike on its back wheel (this is a little difficult with the bigger bikes)
6) Let gravity drain the water away from its holding bays.
7) give the bike a start and it should expell the water in places it shouldn't be in!
8) Try again and if you are satisfied, start the process of putting everything back together.
9) Check your oil, if it's milky you need to get rid of it ASAP. I would be replacing the oil as a precaution anyway then re-oil the foam filters as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not something that fills your heart with joy is it, when that intake goes under? Killing it asap was a smart move, although I thought today's bikes had a tip-over engine kill anyway. How does your oil look? Do you think any water got in?
You do know that word we all use when you drop it?
I think it's a universal word F.
Anyway, yes hitting the kill-switch asap was a good move.
Not sure about that "auto tip-over engine kill" I wasn't waiting for it.
Oil was good no water got in there, even after 3hr ride to get home no sign of water in oil.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Chris, thanks for the future tips, on how to re-start a drowned CRF1000,
Best tip, is replacing the OEM Paper Air Filters with Foam ones.
Yea, might be a bit hard trying to ring-out those paper ones :(

I see you live just up the road, maybe we could meetup for a ride one day?
Cheers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Burger, From Queensland myself and was wondering which road you were on with the numerous creek crossings. I was wondering if it was the Condamine River Road through to Killarney from Boonah. I live about 40 minutes from here and have been contemplating doing this one day except it has 14 creek crossings and some can get deep I've been told. If you were on this road, how did you find it?

Cheers

Wadeo

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Burger, From Queensland myself and was wondering which road you were on with the numerous creek crossings. I was wondering if it was the Condamine River Road through to Killarney from Boonah. I live about 40 minutes from here and have been contemplating doing this one day except it has 14 creek crossings and some can get deep I've been told. If you were on this road, how did you find it?

Cheers

Wadeo
Hi Wadeo, yea mate I,m just up the road at Beenleigh, and yes it was the Condamine, never been there myself before, went with the Adventure Riders of SEQ mob, great bunch of like minded riders. Anyway the road itself you could drive your family car down, good graded dirt road, the river crossings are also not that bad for an Intermediate rider, deepest was about 24" at its deepest point and about 60ft wide. The biggest problem for us bike riders is that the bottom is mostly medium to large size rocks and many 4X4's use this road and they chop and churn the rocks up, makes a bumpy ride, and if like me you picked the wrong line, front wheel in a big hole, down you go. Advise "if your on the AT and by yourself walk it first" It's only a short run and the ride is over as quick as it begun :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Wadeo, yea mate I,m just up the road at Beenleigh, and yes it was the Condamine, never been there myself before, went with the Adventure Riders of SEQ mob, great bunch of like minded riders. Anyway the road itself you could drive your family car down, good graded dirt road, the river crossings are also not that bad for an Intermediate rider, deepest was about 24" at its deepest point and about 60ft wide. The biggest problem for us bike riders is that the bottom is mostly medium to large size rocks and many 4X4's use this road and they chop and churn the rocks up, makes a bumpy ride, and if like me you picked the wrong line, front wheel in a big hole, down you go. Advise "if your on the AT and by yourself walk it first" It's only a short run and the ride is over as quick as it begun :(
Cheers Mate,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly walk it first after your experience and keep my thumb on the kill switch. Just for your information, another good ride is once you're out near Killarney you can head for Woodenbong then head south on what they call the Clarence Way. When you hit the Bruxner Hwy you head west for a few klms then continue south again along the Clarence once again. The first part is all bitumen but the southern part below Bruxner has dirt sections. You will come out at Grafton. From there you could return via the Pacific Hwy or one I haven't done is head west from Grafton and get on the Old Grafton Road which is dirt most of the way and goes through a tunnel made by convicts. From memory most of this road follows the Mann River so from ride reports it is quite scenic.

Cheers

Wadeo

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Mate,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly walk it first after your experience and keep my thumb on the kill switch. Just for your information, another good ride is once you're out near Killarney you can head for Woodenbong then head south on what they call the Clarence Way. When you hit the Bruxner Hwy you head west for a few klms then continue south again along the Clarence once again. The first part is all bitumen but the southern part below Bruxner has dirt sections. You will come out at Grafton. From there you could return via the Pacific Hwy or one I haven't done is head west from Grafton and get on the Old Grafton Road which is dirt most of the way and goes through a tunnel made by convicts. From memory most of this road follows the Mann River so from ride reports it is quite scenic.

Cheers

Wadeo
Hi Wadeo, thanks for the route, I think I'll be heading down that way mid Jan, going down with a mate to TROY BALISS CLASSIC.
Be going the long way 2 days down 2 days back, he will show me lots of dirt roads. Cheers, Maybe we'll get together one day for a ride.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Wadeo, thanks for the route, I think I'll be heading down that way mid Jan, going down with a mate to TROY BALISS CLASSIC.
Be going the long way 2 days down 2 days back, he will show me lots of dirt roads. Cheers, Maybe we'll get together one day for a ride.
Hi Burger,

Sounds like a plan. I'm currently sitting at Heathrow airport with the family ready to jet back to Oz. Don't get back until Wednesday and then will most likely be in a coma for a few days as I sleep. Will certainly contact you shortly about taking the AT's for a scoot.

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts