Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 KLR650 that I bought a little over a year ago. I've ridden almost 14,000 miles and ridden a lot of off road, mostly gravel, but a fair amount of single track.

I love the KLR off road, but the lack of power on pavement is bothersome. I am considering the AT and I'm curious to hear from AT owners that had KLRs.

What has been your experience switching from the KLR? Does the increased road performance make up for the extra weight off road?

Are the maintenance costs significantly higher and is the AT worth the extra purchase cost? KLR Owners are notoriously cheap, ahem, I mean frugal?

Finally, have you found any toolboxes that will work as a top case?:wink2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
KES - I still have my 2011 KLR she has taken me 36k miles with out a single issue roughly 10k of that was off road - I put 4k dollars worth of upgrades in it to make it more dirt worthy I guess but like you its lack of power is what has always bugged me.
When the AT first was a dream 2 years ago I knew I would buy one and so far the AT has met all my expectations - off road so far the AT has been easy to handle.
Maintenance I'd say is going to be the same because I like to do my own work and as far as the top case goes haven't found one and I'm not sure I want one - yet.
Sad thing is now the KLR just sits waiting for my son to come get her to ride.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I still own a 2000 KLR but I never bought it for slab touring. It can do it so so if you put in a 16t front sprocket. 15 stock is OK but 16 is better. I now have a 14T and I maybe plan to keep my fugly klr just for dirt riding that I don't care to tear up the AT. I have found the AT to feel less heavy than the KLR, but I have not had to pick it up yet though. There really is not much comparison between the two. AFAIC the AT beats the KLR hands down in all areas. Suspension is better, stock seat is better, stock shield is better, power is way better, guages are no comparison, TT, ABS, etc....

I have had my AT for one week now and am ready for my 600 miles service. My maybe hope is to trim down to one bike and that being the AT. I dearly love my bandit 1250 as it has been an awesome, inexpensive touring work horse for me for 40K miles now. The KLR may go but it sure is nice to have a cheap bike I can beat on.
If you want a bike that will do pretty much everything much better than the KLR, at a decent cost, then I would highly recommend the AT. Maintenance is maintenance. Oil change then valves every 16K. Nothing unusual there. Crash parts are about the same as for the KLR. NO DOOHICKEY to replace though. Ah shucks eh?

For top case I am again machining a top box mount plate for my Givi luggage. I will post pics next week and wanted to do it this week but the hard drive on my mill too a shite! Tomorrow will be axle sliders installed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I rode the KLR and the AT back to back yesterday, have not been on the KLR in a couple of weeks, and really no comparison. I was surprised how cramped I felt on the KLR, the AT is roomy. I'm still thinking to keep the KLR and sell my bandit. The AT just seems to do so much that I enjoy.

Mods to be done today! Front axle sliders, givi top box mount.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love the KLR off road, but the lack of power on pavement is bothersome. I am considering the AT and I'm curious to hear from AT owners that had KLRs.
HA! I just posted another thread about choosing between a KLR or a AT.

Im on a 34 year old xj650 yamaha now and though its a piece of junk, it will pull to 100+ easy.

I only have room for 1 bike and cant go backwards in regard to highway performance. Based on your comments, KES (and a lot of others'), the KLR will leave me wanting more power...

Gonna test ride a KLR tomorrow & will prly know what to do after that.

Thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts