Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I got a flat tire from roofing nail in my first 500 kms on my bike. When I went to patch the tire it had shredded the tube and there was no chance of patching it. I switched to a heavy duty michelin tube that I am concerned is too heavy. So now . I'm considering making the rims tubeless using 3m 3411N sealing tape.
Does anyone have experience going that route?
For the folks with serious miles on their bikes. How often do you get punctures?
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello,
There are LOTS of posts about this. I'm sure several will pop up if you search. I have about 2000 miles on my AT and have not had any issues yet, but those are mainly "road" miles with very limited off-road use. I know people are converting in efforts to simplify patching a flat, but from what I can gather, getting a flat is not that common under normal use (outside picking up a nail in your tire). Personally, I will probably continue to run tubes unless punctures end up being more common than I think.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tubes suck, I hate them with a vengeance!
Ever notice that every bike, car & truck that doesn't have spoked wheels uses tubeless tyres?

I sealed my rims and ditched the tubes. After ~12,000 kms I have had zero issues!
Ditch those tubes, lower your rotating mass, make puncture repair easier - you know you want to!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am doing the 3m tubeless conversion on rear. I am staying with tube on front. In the spirit of creating problems for myself I bought an Avon Trekrider tire for the front. I’ve had it laying on the heated bathroom floor overnight. This morning while in bathroom on business I picked up the tire to admire it. I don’t know how I missed it, but the tire is tubeless. Under where it clearly says tubeless, In a smaller/feeble font it says ‘if fitted to tube type rim, fit tube’. Does this mean go ahead it’s fine, there will be no loss of performance or (gulp) life? Thanks and please don’t judge.

·
Administrator
3,332 Posts
I am doing the 3m tubeless conversion on rear. I am staying with tube on front. In the spirit of creating problems for myself I bought an Avon Trekrider tire for the front. I’ve had it laying on the heated bathroom floor overnight. This morning while in bathroom on business I picked up the tire to admire it. I don’t know how I missed it, but the tire is tubeless. Under where it clearly says tubeless, In a smaller/feeble font it says ‘if fitted to tube type rim, fit tube’. Does this mean go ahead it’s fine, there will be no loss of performance or (gulp) life? Thanks and please don’t judge.
IF you are staying with a tube on the front, you are fine using the tubeless tire with a tube on the front. The general rule of thumb that I have heard is to treat the tire as one load rating and one speed rating less than the tubeless tire is rated for. Others may argue that that does not need to be followed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts