Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my 2016 AT for a full season with the SWMotech crash bar installed and I thought it was fine until I noticed some scratches on the lower end of the engine. So I wanted to add more protection. After few ressearchs and after I carefully studied the installation manual, I decided to take a change and buy a set of Hepco&Hepner engine guard and see if they can be fitted with the SWMotech.

The bottom line is they do fit together and it took me less than an hour to install the Hepco&Hepner engine guard. The only thing I had to do is to replace a spacer that came with the SWMotech crash bar for a thinner one which was included in the hardware kit for the Hepco&Hepner guard.

The only ''down side'' is they don't have the same finish. But you have to look closely to see the difference.

Just wanted to share with you.

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
It looks pretty good. Did you weigh them before install by chance?
I was going to comment that to me, it seems totally unnecessary for the lower guards because the times I've had the rubber side up, the SW bars did great. But clearly you've demonstrated that they are useful!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great pics - thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Engine protection bars are essential, especially for those who take their bikes off road. I also have the SW Motech side bars and at a rather innocuous fall, the left engine cover hit a stone as the bike was sliding on its side and started loosing oil, having to be recovered to a Honda dealer to replace it. I have since added the Touratech Rallye Extreme engine protector which should protect in such situations but the lower engine bars do the same job even better. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I h
I rode my 2016 AT for a full season with the SWMotech crash bar installed and I thought it was fine until I noticed some scratches on the lower end of the engine. So I wanted to add more protection. After few ressearchs and after I carefully studied the installation manual, I decided to take a change and buy a set of Hepco&Hepner engine guard and see if they can be fitted with the SWMotech.

The bottom line is they do fit together and it took me less than an hour to install the Hepco&Hepner engine guard. The only thing I had to do is to replace a spacer that came with the SWMotech crash bar for a thinner one which was included in the hardware kit for the Hepco&Hepner guard.

Th

The only ''down side'' is they don't have the same finish. But you have to look closely to see the difference.

Just wanted to share with you.

View attachment 39121

View attachment 39129

View attachment 39137

View attachment 39145

View attachment 39153

View attachment 39161

View attachment 39169
Hi I have just bought a AT that has the SW Motech crashbars and will be buying the Hepco Becker engine guards. Regarding the skid plate, which one do you have? Do you know if anyone fits? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts