Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a tail bag to fit on the rear seat/carrier area, just a little larger than a crash helmet, it needs to be waterproof,
Does any one have any ideas, a pic would be great , thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a BMW Small Softbag 3. My medium-size C3 Pro helmet just fits into the main compartment which is alleged to be waterproof (not tested yet). Four further pockets which are water-resistant - i.e. they will probably leak.

It looks a little like a top-box (sadly) and is semi-rigid so it doesn't look empty when it is which might attract unwanted attention if left on the bike but otherwise it's nice and light and carries a fair bit so I'm reasonably happy with it.

http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/209-parts-accessories/5441-soft-tail-seat-bag.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi i just fitted an Oxford x40 which fits easily and can be attached with a bit of silicon tape and cable ties, very neat and fits a helmet when expanded

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use Kriegra tail packs. http://www.revzilla.com/kriega?gclid=CO2M8I6gz8wCFVEIvAodXY8PKQ Photo is with the 10 litre bag fitted.....but the same four mounts hold a 30 litre bag and can then connect two ten litre bags to the bigger one. Total of 50 litre.

This way I don't need solid boxes and all the fittings. These bags are cheap (three bags in Australia cost about a third of the Honda panniers), water proof and flexible. The straps are fitted to the sub-frame under the rear seat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use Kriegra tail packs. http://www.revzilla.com/kriega?gclid=CO2M8I6gz8wCFVEIvAodXY8PKQ Photo is with the 10 litre bag fitted.....but the same four mounts hold a 30 litre bag and can then connect two ten litre bags to the bigger one. Total of 50 litre.

[/IMG][/URL]
Hi AussieTwin, how did you connect the Kriega straps on your bike, I just had the seats off mine and I could not work out how to get the straps round the sub-frame. I tried undoing all the visible bolts under the seat but I could not move the rack etc to get at the frame.

Any tips photos etc ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m travelling till the end of the month and don’t have any photos on my phone. But here is what I remember, it took about an hour to figure.
• Removed the front seat.
• Removed the rear seat by unbolting the two securing set screws. These are the only two bolts removed during this task.
• With the K fitting straps you want the plastic buckles to face out or away from the bike surfaces only because it looks better. So fitting them is trial and error. As is getting the length correct.
• There is a cross member that runs across the frame (that sits towards the front of the bike) that the two mounting bolts for the rear seat bolt into; either side of the centre line of the bike there is a 20mm round hole. I ran the straps through these holes and then up and around the cross member.
• You then lay the fixing straps forward and turn them at 90 degrees so the they lay out either side of the bike. Ie come out from under where the seat will be once it’s fitted.
• The rear K straps are looped over the smaller cross member at the very rear of the sub frame assembly. Had to use teasers to loop the strap over and back. You then lay them forward and turn at right angles so them come out from under the seat.
Hope that you can sort it from the above. I was initially concerned that the straps were not straight when I fitted in this manner on my previous bike but have had some very long trips away including a 6000 klm 10 day trip carrying a 30 and two 10 litre bags that were full plus a roll up mattress. I figured that it would also be good on the AT….once I’m home will I will post some pictures.:nerd:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, going to take a look at the Givi or the SW Motech one first,

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK! I fancy the S W Motech tail bag, I've seen them for sale on e bay, but a German company,
Does anyone know of a UK company that sell S W Motech accessories , thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I bought the S W Motech tail bag , fits perfectly on the AT, very pleased with it, also comes with a rain cover when needed, super quality, and the bag easily extends to take a full face helmet,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts