Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that to ride in France you need fluorescent stickers on your helmet ...! Really ? Driven in France a few times , never notices helmets with shiny stickers?
Any one been recently can feed back please?

Hoeing to get down to Andorra and back !

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've read that to ride in France you need fluorescent stickers on your helmet ...! Really ? Driven in France a few times , never notices helmets with shiny stickers?
Any one been recently can feed back please?

Hoeing to get down to Andorra and back !
Nah, don't worry about it, as long as you are well behaved you will be fine.

the law says you need a high viz if you break down but you don't need to carry one (its only difficult if you have a problem)

Personally, i ride a lot in France & never bother as the police there are human and as long as you are respectful you will be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm taking the AT to France next Thursday, have got my little stickers, high-vis etc - it's no big deal and costs bugger all.

You can always meet that grumpy cop on a bad day after all.

England hasn't been flavour of the month these last few days and I arrive the day we may well have effectively told the whole of Europe to sod off, that might effect attitudes to a UK plate...!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I'm going through France next week to go to the moto GP in assen, I've got the hi-vis jackets, but no helmet stickers, your meant to have a spare bulb kit as well but as the AT has LED lights I'm not taking a spare headlight, will prob just put the bulb kit from the car in my panniers in case I meet that pissed off French cop. Remember to take your registration documents with you as that is also on there must have list !.
Ride safe

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, taking ferry to st Malo, hoping to get to Andorra, back vi Milau bridge , maybe the Auverne , back via tunnel. Realistic for a coupe, of old boys on a jolly or is it going to be a marathon ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you've not travelled to France before, I personally never set goals as that m ans you miss huge swathes of the country on motorways (also tolls), download Michelin map app or website it has green roads which are the scenic ones.
Head in a genaral direction you want, if you get there you do if you see something interesting on the way you might not, don't forget it's a jollY.
Don't forget also travel on nice twisty roads cuts speed and distance you can cover but increases the enjoyment of the journey.
Enjoy

·
Registered
72 Posts
We always aim for 200 miles a day, 250 max, that means a 9:30 start and in the hotel by 16:30. That's riding two-up on our own or in a group. We never do motorways and as a previous poster says, use a Michelin map and choose roads with a green line beside them.

Have fun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I drive in France a lot and agree with everything already written. Never had any problems but have always had a fluorescent jacket somewhere on board (car and bike). Spare bulbs too. Have always found the police there to be friendly and helpful, although the they can be a little scary on occasion! (Guns drawn at a road block on the Spanish border a few years back) Usually I try to speak in French with helps. The southern Pyrenees are fantastic and the Cathar castles (Queribus and Peripertouse (spelt wrong I think) are well worth going too. Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts