Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be the third new Honda I will have bought from Scott Dunlavey, at Berkeley Honda, Yamaha, Husqvarna. It was supposed to hit early August, but he was able to rustle one up for me and he's been in contact the entire time. My friends and I do big Baja trips every few years and when a lot of us rode XR 650 R's, Scott, whom helped manage American Honda's Baja race efforts, lent us his two giant cases of XR spares for a couple of these trips. With a "if ya use something out of 'em just let me know when you get back, we know you and your bud's are good for it." That sealed the deal for me... My '00 XR 650 R was the very first one sold in the Bay Area and it was a phenomenally good m/c. Had it for 12 years / 20K miles and not a lick of anything even close to a problem. I'm trusting that this A.T. will be equally as good a bike or better... Probably won't get any sleep tonight thinkin' about my new Silver Africa Twin!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely LOVE this motorcycle!! The engine's texture, being a 270 deg' crank is stunning! Single like torque yet spins up like a twin. I was a Ducati Rep' back in the late 90's and really fell in love with that "L" Twin power delivery. This Honda feels so much like them that it's phenomenal!! But ergo's, electronics, Honda's legendary reliability, my local dealer AND the fact that it's a good 5 Grand (value of a good used light weight dirt bike) less than it's contemporaries, were key reasons I went with this bike... Have around 1100 miles on her now. Installed the Honda light bar, center stand, rear box, taller wind screen so far. Paniers are on order. The top box quality is top notch all the way.

If any of you are A.M.A. members, my article in the June issue of American Motorcyclist tells the story of my "retirement dreams" involving this motorcycle and touring a few years from now...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts