Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm in need of a decent tank bag, 15 litres in size or thereabouts, but the choices seem to be really limited for the AT.

I was going to go with the Givi xs320 (I think it is) and tank lock thingy, but I read a review that someone had bar risers and it interfered with the tank lock when installed. when you turned the handlebars it hit the release button. I also have bar risers, so looks like that option is out.

What is everyone using out there?? Wondering if there's a few makes/models I'm not familiar with that suit the shape of the tank.

Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a Nelson rigg tank bag that fits the slope of the tank and expands to be quite large- somewhere around 15 liters, I believe. Moderately water resistant, slides over beside the tank for fillups, and has an accessible, large map screen on top. I have risers on an AS model and I have no issues even with RAM mounts and **** sticking off my bars. I've been extremely happy with the bag. Inexpensive, resilient, hasn't scratched my tank in over a year, and holds a lot. I'll get the exact model. I think I paid about sixty for it. It holds a six pack of beer bottles with gloves, glasses, and my heat gear troller in a pinch without a fuss.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pics. Hard to imagine what they actually look like on the bike when you only get to see online pics from sales websites.

That NR bag is one I've been considering, but wasn't sure if it was quite big enough for what I need. I do like the way it fits.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Happy to help.

The only thing that took a minute was running the front straps. The nice thing is I have a fork deflector and it's not an issue. The straps sinch over it just fine.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm going with the Mosko Moto Nomad. I like the hydration pack is inside the tank bag so i don't have to wear it on my back. Right now Mosko Moto has 10% discount and free shipping. It's a limited time offer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, those Mosko Motos are a nice bag. It's just not big enough for the trip i'm taking. Sadly, I'm one of those losers that has to use a CPAP machine, so that will more than likely live in the tank bag for the 3.5 months I'm on the road. I'm pretty sure it won't fit in a Nomad..

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a Nomad, and the hydration pack is why I bought it. The horizontal partitioning makes it a bit hard to put non-flattish objects in, though. It's not big, and the hydration pack takes up some space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Emway,

I'm using a SW Motech tank bag that also utilizes a tank ring setup similar to the Givi rig. Have 1 1/2" bar risers that that play well with the bag. Not a cheap bag but I feel well worth the investment. Cheers.

·
Administrator
1,792 Posts
I have a Nomad, and the hydration pack is why I bought it. The horizontal partitioning makes it a bit hard to put non-flattish objects in, though. It's not big, and the hydration pack takes up some space.
What do you think of it overall? I really wanted to get one until I ran into someone who had one recently. I commented about how much I like those Nomad packs, but he said other than the hydration pack, he overall pretty much hated it. For the reason, you describe among others. This soured me on it a bit and I still haven't pulled the trigger.

My wife uses an Endurostan Sandstorm 4H on hers and I have had past experiences with the Endurostan bags on my KTM 1190. So I may just end up going down that road.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll keep you posted, but it might be a bit given the weather. I'm hoping it works out but if it feels like it's in the way I'll be selling it... Having the hydration pack on my back doesn't allow the air to flow around my Badlands Pro Jacket. Which makes it not cool as well in the Summer/warmer months.

What do you think of it overall? I really wanted to get one until I ran into someone who had one recently. I commented about how much I like those Nomad packs, but he said other than the hydration pack, he overall pretty much hated it. For the reason, you describe among others. This soured me on it a bit and I still haven't pulled the trigger.

My wife uses an Endurostan Sandstorm 4H on hers and I have had past experiences with the Endurostan bags on my KTM 1190. So I may just end up going down that road.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Depends on what you want to carry. A Nomad is bad for bulky objects, but good for organizing small ones, plus the hydration pack, so you have to decide why you want a tank bag. Mosko stuff is top of the line, but you don't always need that. They do make a couple of other bags.

·
Administrator
1,792 Posts
I'll keep you posted, but it might be a bit given the weather. I'm hoping it works out but if it feels like it's in the way I'll be selling it... Having the hydration pack on my back doesn't allow the air to flow around my Badlands Pro Jacket. Which makes it not cool as well in the Summer/warmer months.
I appreciate it. I have time. I won't need it until the weather starts to warm up again. I traded in my 2016 AT on an 2019 ATAS last August and finished out the season with my Klim backpack. I didn't really have much problem with that to be honest. But I have never had an issue fitting a reservoir into any brand tank bag for that matter either. I certainly don't require one "built" for it.

I had a Giant Loop Fandango on the 2016 and that was a great tank bag for the most part. The lone exception is I found the zipper to harness system to be a bit of a pain in the butt. But I might still go that route or the Enduristan in the end.

That or something like the Giant Loop or Wonderlich bar bag and stick with the backpack. Filling it 2/3 full of crushed ice and 1/3 full water made for a good combo last year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an SW Motech City EVO that just barely fits with bar risers on. I already had it on some other bikes and when I got the Africa Twin I just moved the mounting block on the bottom of the bag all the way forward so the bag rides as far as possible from the bars. Not cheap, but a good tank bag.

I have some electrical stuff wired up inside the bag and power the bag from an extra long SAE (battery tender) pigtail direct from the battery that comes out at the front of the tank. With tank rings on each of my bikes I can easily move the bag and all my goodies to whichever bike I’m riding that day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the pics! As a person who is not a fan of tank bags, it looks huge for me. I might go back to my blackhawk. Mine is an Xmas present so I can't mount or take pics till after Xmas....

2018 Adventure Sport

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for a tankbag option for my Adventure Sports, and i kinda find it hard to get reliable information about if it actually fits without interfering with the handlebars.

It seems most ppl have the "regular" Africa Twin, and knowing that the Adventure Sports have handlebar risers by default and such, it is a wee bit of differences there. One other problem i have is that i live in Norway (Europe), and do not have access to all kinds of custom shops making bags. Sure, i can order from the US, but its a pita if it does not fit and i want to send it back. Customs/refund+++ would take weeks and probably end up in various amounts of fees making the refund useless. So, i would rather order from something a bit closer. This leaves me with options of more "known" brands - Givi, Sw-motech + maybe a few others.

What i have looked at so far is maybe the Sw-motech EVO City bag or the "micro" one. But as said about the city bag two posts up by 1 wheel drive : It barely fits with risers on (and from what i can see, he have the regular AT).

Can anyone with 100% confidence say they have used sw-motech EVO city bag with the ATAS without having any sort of conflict with the handlebars?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts