Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am looking for a tankbag option for my Adventure Sports, and i kinda find it hard to get reliable information about if it actually fits without interfering with the handlebars.

It seems most ppl have the "regular" Africa Twin, and knowing that the Adventure Sports have handlebar risers by default and such, it is a wee bit of differences there. One other problem i have is that i live in Norway (Europe), and do not have access to all kinds of custom shops making bags. Sure, i can order from the US, but its a pita if it does not fit and i want to send it back. Customs/refund+++ would take weeks and probably end up in various amounts of fees making the refund useless. So, i would rather order from something a bit closer. This leaves me with options of more "known" brands - Givi, Sw-motech + maybe a few others.

What i have looked at so far is maybe the Sw-motech EVO City bag or the "micro" one. But as said about the city bag two posts up by 1 wheel drive : It barely fits with risers on (and from what i can see, he have the regular AT).

Can anyone with 100% confidence say they have used sw-motech EVO city bag with the ATAS without having any sort of conflict with the handlebars?
Barring someone with exact experience with each bag, I could give you the dimensions of my tank bag that is quite large on my ATAS with factory risers and the touratech risers on.

If the measurements are within mine then it should definitely clear. Hang tight.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
As I've written before, I have a Nomad. The pictures do make it look huge, but it's not, really. It swells up if you load it, and that one has about as much as it will hold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, I finally pulled the trigger. I got the SW Motech Enduro, strap mount. I realize this bag is larger than most would prefer, myself included, but I was a little worried about packable space as I'll be living/camping off the bike for 3.5 months come springtime.

My first choice was the Giant Loop Fandango, but I'm Canadian and couldn't find anyone local that sells them. At a minimum of $260 USD, plus shipping, not to mention we pay an extra $.35 exchange rate on the dollar, well, there ain't no way I'm parting with $400 CAD for a stinkin' tank bag!

The Enduro bag I got for half price on a Cyber Monday Monday sale. So yeah, going on an extended trip with a limited budget impacted my decision for sure.
I do like bag from what I see so far. What I don't like is the waterproof liner bag for the inside as opposed to a rain cover. That seems downright lame to me. I know a fella who does industrial sewing, so I'll get him to make me a rain cover.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Givi XS320 (?? I think that's what it was called...) as it's made specifically for the AT. That was on my radar, but the reviews kept going on about cheap, breaking zippers, not to mention it's a bloody monster sized bag.

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated!

Happy Holidays, All

·
Registered
184 Posts
Finally got my Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag mounted. Have to say as a person does not like tankbags, this is actually a very good fit and doesn't get in the way. My biggest complaints with tank bags are they are bulky, feel like their is this huge blob between my arms, they don't fit the contour of the tank. The only bag that fit the contour of a bike's tank is the Wolfman luggage Blackhawk. A very nice single compartment tankbag for small items.

This tankbag is narrow so it doesn't interfere with your knees when standing. It's not tall either so that I could have still left my handlerbar mounted GPS where it was. It is the perfect tankbag for me. Again main reason I got it was to take the camelbak off my back.

While it does not fit the contour of the tank like the Blackhawk, angling towards the rider is not an issue. I mounted it like you see in the Mosko Moto videos, rather than on top of the tank.

Now I've yet to try it with the water bladder. So it will grow a bit, but even so, it's not high at all and the bars can go lock to lock with just touching the bag.

The only minor thing for me is that I have the plastic wind blocker that fits in the fork well. Since it sticks out toward the forks a bit, I had to really lengthen the straps that holds the front of the tank bag. No big deal though. The bag does a have a bit of movement mounted this way without cinching the front straps tight but its not sliding from side to side.

Overall very happy with it. Once real riding weather gets here we'll see how it performs!

·
Registered
167 Posts
For my use, I prefer one large open compartment so the nomad would not work for me. No doubt it's a fine bag if you want that level of organization. I'm using the altrider bag. It fits the lines of the tank nicely.. Not too big, not too small. I'd put it in the same category as the Nelson rigg that tequila posted, also it's very similar to the giant loop fandango, or the Wolfman Blackhawk. I think all these bags fit the bike nicely and are more my style for what I use them for. I have no problem standing on the pegs with this style/size. I'll probably be replacing my bag this year with a giant loop or Wolfman. My only complaint with this size is the small map window. I use mostly paper maps, so I've been thinking about a separate map pocket that is removable and attaches to the bag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the option of buying the SW Motech Enduro, strap mount tank bag Emway, but i could not really figure out if you have the Adventure Sports version of the AT, or the regular one. If you have the regular one, there could still be problems with the handlebars on the AS due to risers and whatnot, and i am still not at my goal of finding something that is a) verified fitting on the ATAS, and b) for sale in Norway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So anyone able to confirm the usage of SW-Motech Enduro - strap mount tank bag on a Adventure Sports bike? It's a 15% off deal from my local dealer this weekend, so i would not mind saving a couple of bucks :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Willy rides behind a SW-Motech Evo City. It's an expensive bag ($252 for the bag & $46 for the mounting ring from Twisted Throttle) but well made and doesn't impact the steering gear when mounted as far aft as you can go. It does have an overhang at the rear that a tank protector can mitigate. The gas cap mount is solid and does not interfere with refueling. If you pursue this option make sure you select the correct locking ring for your ride.

IMG_5759.JPG IMG_5798.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Willy rides behind a SW-Motech Evo City. It's an expensive bag ($252 for the bag & $46 for the mounting ring from Twisted Throttle) but well made and doesn't impact the steering gear when mounted as far aft as you can go. It does have an overhang at the rear that a tank protector can mitigate. The gas cap mount is solid and does not interfere with refueling. If you pursue this option make sure you select the correct locking ring for your ride.

View attachment 53268 View attachment 53269
That is sadly not the "Adventure Sports" model, and i HAVE tried a tank bag that works on the "Standard" model without success tbh. This is due to the tank being bigger, and the handlebars having different risers on that model.

I might be a weirdo for freaking out over such a small thing as "just a little steering problems" if you happen to bump the handlebars into the bag, but i was totally caught by surprise shortly after mounting a Oxford tank bag that supposedly was for the AT (but obviously not the ATAS) when i was doing a quick turn on a parking lot... and almost ended dropping my bike to the ground due to me leaning over more than the steering kinda indicated :eek:

So on various dirt-roads and such things, i would really want to have the full steering available without having to "re-learn" how to drive the bike when i kinda do not need to :)

I will probably end up with SW-Motech EVO Daypack as this is smaller than the EVO City. I got panniers for when i need to bring some gear, so its mostly just for a small bottle of water, some tools and cellphone powerbank and whatnot minor stuff i want easily accessible.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
That is sadly not the "Adventure Sports" model, and i HAVE tried a tank bag that works on the "Standard" model without success tbh. This is due to the tank being bigger, and the handlebars having different risers on that model.

I might be a weirdo for freaking out over such a small thing as "just a little steering problems" if you happen to bump the handlebars into the bag, but i was totally caught by surprise shortly after mounting a Oxford tank bag that supposedly was for the AT (but obviously not the ATAS) when i was doing a quick turn on a parking lot... and almost ended dropping my bike to the ground due to me leaning over more than the steering kinda indicated :eek:

So on various dirt-roads and such things, i would really want to have the full steering available without having to "re-learn" how to drive the bike when i kinda do not need to :)

I will probably end up with SW-Motech EVO Daypack as this is smaller than the EVO City. I got panniers for when i need to bring some gear, so its mostly just for a small bottle of water, some tools and cellphone powerbank and whatnot minor stuff i want easily accessible.
Agreed, seems most bags have that issue on the AS , it needs either to be short or set back behind the filler cap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right. This is indeed hard :)

I bought the SW-Motech Daypack. This is the next to smalles available, as the "Micro" is smaller, but from what i could read on the measurements it was just as wide, but a bit lower, and shorter. The "Daypack" measures appx 17 cm at the front, and just shy of 21 cm at its widest. I attack a picture of how it looks when i enable the steering-lock, so you can see that even with THAT small a bag, it does hit the handlebars when fully over.

I would say a wider bag is a no-go, even if it flexes, as you risk the annoying "horn-beep" or whatever if you do that :p

So how ppl claim to be fitting the Evo City on this bike, i do not know, cos that is supposed to be around 6 cm wider (or about 1 inch wider to each side). But, i guess ill manage with that. Compared to my previous experiment with the Oxford tankbag, this atleast seems quite fine as it is no huge issue when the handlebars hit cos the bag flexes fine the little bit it has to. The Oxford bag also had a much harder "base", so it did not flex at all when the handlebars hit.

Well.. there you have it :)

PS. Others please post your "Handlebars with steering lock engaged and bag fitted" pictures here just for reference, on both AT and ATAS models :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts