Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with tank bags for the AT.

I've just taken delivery of a Hepco & Becker medium tourer bag with the (apparently specific AT) locking ring.

However, even if I fitted the bag as far from the bars as it will allow, and as close to me therefore, I wont be able to use full lock on the bars, or indeed the steering lock.

I'm now in fact wondering if any bag would work on the bike as the bars get so close to the filler cap and there is so little width on the tank at the top?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting! I was going to buy on line but have decided to try and see the bags first. Evidently there are both SW Motech and Givi bags that are supposed to fit. Will check them out of the next couple of weeks and report back. A company called Hermod in Newcastle were very helpful on the phone and say they will be getting examples in stock soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the SW-Motech tank bags that fit with a tank ring. I ended up making a one inch spacer to fit between the bag and its fitting plate.

The bar now turn full and the bag passes over the bar clamps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends how big a tank bag you want :)
That Givi bag you have pictured would do the job for me, I take it that you find it secure enough?

Would you be so kind as to identify which model that one is for me?

The bar bag looks like a nice bit of kit but I would want to be able to see my phone and the top clear pouch on the bag is really what I need.

(Edit - you added a link to it I now see, thanks)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - as with JB above I now have my Givi EA106B Tank bag and it's a lovely fit.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Are these likely to scratch the tank? I ask as I had a magnetic tank bag on my last bike and it used to create a lot of small scratches - especially when it was older and had been exposed to the elements a bit more. Almost as if the magnets picked up debris.

I know - it's a dirt bike and all that...!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a GiantLoop Fandango Pro lying around from an earlier bike. I find the fit to be just perfect, in fact it looks as if it was MADE for the Africa Twin. Can upload a picture if anyone's interested, but you'll find it on GiantLoop's webpage. It has a harness that you strap on to the bike with 3 straps. It has a cutout in the harness for the fuel tank and the tank bag itself comes off with 2 zippers, one on either side, and for re-fueling you just undo one zipper and flip it to the side.

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are these likely to scratch the tank?
The bag's blurb claims an anti scratch protective what-not. I have had magnetic bags before and didn't suffer from scratches, but, I have seen other bikes that have.

I'll be paying close attention to see if the mags have picked up any debris before I put it on each time but I think only time will tell on this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I saw this on my Web travels.

http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/product.php/1380/honda-africa-twintank-bag

I still have tank bags from my KTM days. They were KTM branded but seriously good quality. The FAMSA product above is exactly the same design and now I know who manufactured for KTM.

The quality and fit of the KTM items was excellent. I eventually used to use one of them on all my offroad expeditions with my 690 and the base zip only gave up the ghost recently after 11 years of hard use.

This item will be my next purchase.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just ordered the small Givi too. I have a large Oxford magnetic bag too that has seen lots of use on several bikes. Had no problems with scratching the paint but have an anti scratch web matt underneath.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm actually waiting for Bagster to get their fingers out and get me a tank cover made, I had one for my XRV for 10 years and it was excellent, tough and kept it's good looks all the time. And of course the accompanying tank bags were there for it.

This Givi I now have is cheap enough for me during the wait, and it's actually quite good, although I will agree that FAMSA thing above looks like a good solution also...

Ah, the problems of being early adopters eh.... Roll on the aftermarket goodies......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Givi Tanklock Tank bags 3 to 25 liter

Hello,

I love Givi Tanklock tank bags. These are the clever solution to put on and off the bag with one click. Volumes from 3 to 20 liters There are XS306,307,308 XS319 (3 liter necessity tank bag), MT and ST series, and now specially made for CRF1000L is XS320.

Givi makes the tank bags but they don't make tank rings to attach these bags for every motorcycle. I also have a Moto Guzzi Griso. I wanted to use Tanklock bags on my bike but unfortunately Givi do not make a tank ring for Moto Guzzi models. So, last year I designed and made tankrings for Moto Guzzi models Griso, Breva, Sport, V7 and Stelvio. Now more than 250 Guzzi owners all over the world are using my Givi rings.

Now Givi did not yet release a tankring for new Africa Twin. When they release, it will surely be plactic as their previous rings.

Here are some photos of my tankring for Givi Tank bags. If you are interested to have one of the Givi (or Kappa) Tanklock tank bags, here is the link for the CRF1000L Tankring. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331848191387?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Happy riding

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our CL-1045 Adventure tank bag works great with the Africa Twin. Here are some photos and a video showing how it mounts. MSRP $89.95

• CL-1045 V-shaped base to accommodate off-road, dual-sport and adventure motorcycles such as KLR 650’s, BMW GS, Africa Twin, or Tiger
  • New self-adjusting hooks attach to bag with soft ties connecting to your motorcycle
  • Made from top quality UV treated Tri-Max ballistic nylon
  • Convenient side pockets to hold smaller items for easy access
  • Bag maintains shape, has reflective piping and a lined interior
  • Reverse coil zippers keep help keep out dust and dirt, keeping zippers working smoothly
  • Adjustable shoulder/tether strap
  • Protective base material prevents slipping or marking
  • Integrated GPS/Smart phone pouch under map pocket
  • Clear map pocket is touch screen device friendly
  • Fully expandable when more room is needed
  • Includes our exclusive Lifetime warranty and waterproof rain cover
  • Main compartment measures: 12”L x 7”W x 9”H Standard
  • 12”L x 7”W x 12”H Expanded
  • Holds 12.39 Liters / 16.52 Liters expanded

Please let us know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okuraner, not sure what you mean by this:

"Now Givi did not yet release a tankring for new Africa Twin. When they release, it will surely be plactic as their previous rings."

The XS320 tankring specifically for the Honda Africa Twin is Givi code BF25 and is available from a number of sources. Just Google 'Givi BF25'.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I first got a Givi bag and after the first ride realized it was too big for every day use. I then sourced a smaller bag. Of course the tank ring would naturally be a problem. Who would ever think people would want to use more than one tank bag!!!

The first bags locating slots are on the right hand side and the second bags locating pins are towards the seat. So, I carefully marked and cut 2 new locating slots for the second bag. Making them as small as possible.

I had to adjust the handlebars so that they are comfortable for sitting down as well as for standing in more technical sections. The pictures show the modification to the tank ring and how the 2 bags can fit, without interfering with the bars at full lock. I also have a handle bar bag, and that does get in the way a bit, but it is a handy piece of kit.

Attachments

Reactions: roy826

·
Registered
89 Posts
Okuraner, not sure what you mean by this:

"Now Givi did not yet release a tankring for new Africa Twin. When they release, it will surely be plactic as their previous rings."

The XS320 tankring specifically for the Honda Africa Twin is Givi code BF25 and is available from a number of sources. Just Google 'Givi BF25'.
He meant that one didn't exist when he posted that almost a year before your reply.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts