Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think wrapping strap around handle bars clamp area is a good idea, better than cutting it off. Not sure how well the plastic tanklock will hold up in offroad conditions and at least with it strapped you won't loose it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had an SW Motech tank ring bag and twice on my trip to Alaska I could not get the cable release to work. I bruised my finger and came close to removing it altogether I tried so hard. I had to disassemble the bag both times to get it off. Have those of you who use the Givi that mounts like this not had any issues? I really liked not having straps on the bike but won't have one that has to be unbolted ever again should the catch not be able to release.

FWIW, both times it happened I could not find anything causing the issue. The bike had seen a bunch of rain (I was riding to Alaska) and then of course dust but the path the cable tracked appeared perfectly clear. Dry graphite spray didn't work either.

NC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Onur, @Okuraner

I need one of your tank rings.

Please make one and let me know.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks.

Hello

I love Givi Tanklock tank bags. These are the clever solution to put on and off the bag with one click. Volumes from 3 to 20 liters There are XS306,307,308 XS319 (3 liter necessity tank bag), MT and ST series, and now specially made for CRF1000L is XS320.

Givi makes the tank bags but they don't make tank rings to attach these bags for every motorcycle. I also have a Moto Guzzi Griso. I wanted to use Tanklock bags on my bike but unfortunately Givi do not make a tank ring for Moto Guzzi models. So, last year I designed and made tankrings for Moto Guzzi models Griso, Breva, Sport, V7 and Stelvio. Now more than 250 Guzzi owners all over the world are using my Givi rings.

Now Givi did not yet release a tankring for new Africa Twin. When they release, it will surely be plactic as their previous rings.

Here are some photos of my tankring for Givi Tank bags. If you are interested to have one of the Givi (or Kappa) Tanklock tank bags, here is the link for the CRF1000L Tankring. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331848191387?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Happy riding

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will tell you what bag not to buy for your 2017, etc., AT. Do not buy the Oxford 1st 18 liter strap on bag. First the wide but not tall appearance appealed to me. This was true until I made my first tight turn and set the horn off or accidentally turned on the four way blinkers. The guy at the Honda parts and accessories desk could not tell me if it were a good fit or not so I paid my money and took my chances, it seemed to be a great deal. Now nearly six months later the flimsy zipper that holds the bag to the strap on base has frayed at the starting point to make it a PIA to install. And the final disappointment was two days ago on an 11 hour ride from middle Tennessee to southern Illinois and back when I needed to install the rain bonnet on the bag. During the return trip, and of coarse at time of critical need, the plastic weld around the rubber band failed on one side allowing wind to inflate it so I could not read my directions in the map holder. Fortunately only the lower half of the bag got wet and nothing inside was affected but I can’t find a replacement, hence, why I am here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a big fan of tank bags but needed something handy like many people for small items, wallets etc. Really like the look of the Givi XS320 and the SW-Motech range but they would be wasted on me. I was about to buy the small handlebar bag from the guys at Rugged Roads before I spotted the OEM Honda bag for the AT on the site as well. A little dear for the size it but a nice compact bag with a decent fitting system. It has very short front straps which attach to clips attached to the front plastic shield and magnet flaps at the back. The clips are designed to stay in place on their straps so you can easily clip/unclip the bag on the bike.

It only looks to be 2-3 ltrs in size, you could probably get 35mm camera and a spare lens in but I am sure there are better bags out there with more protection for that sort of thing. Good for wallets, go pro bits, bits and bobs, spare gloves and the like. It has a top phone holder which is large enough for the biggest smartphone, a small external compartment handy for change and a power cable entry at the front. It has a rain cover which is see through at the top so your phone is not obscured. It comes with two protective sheets for the tank as well. So if you want a small bag and don't mind paying a little premium for the Honda brand this is a nice one to have. (that's a 1ltr bottle)
Hello, where can I find the raincover for this tankbag ??

Thank you !

·
Registered
225 Posts
I went 2 weeks in Scotland and for this I chose the rebranded Zulupack brand, sold by Shad, can't say it wont scratch the paint I didn't really check, but it's pretty waterproof
and inside you get another waterproof roll top style bag. There's no inner structure so you can pretty much compress it or not and it transforms in a backpack which is great !
The flapping thing on top, is originally designed to hold the helmet in backpack mode, but it was really usefull, when going on a ferry to quickly slide my gloves in there, or
on windy days also not having the gloves fly away, there's also a pocket just underneath where I would put my tickets and so I was able to board easy and give ticket without
losing my gloves !

http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/bags/waterproof-bags/sw22m/c71r115/

Attachments

Reactions: EpicTrekker

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a roll of clear car bumper sill protector from Halfords and covered the areas that the tank bag sits on the paint work, it’s very thin and near invisible when applied, it was a bit tricky to get it to fit the tank contours but if you start in the area with most curve it works out well £8 a roll and it’s 5m long x 100mm wide so figure if it starts to look scruffy I’ve got plenty to replace it with. Much cheaper than a dedicated product from a well know accessory company and I think looks much better when applied.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've been extremely happy with my altrider tank bag. Despite the fact it has an internal dry bag, it's not needed.... the bag doesn't leak. It doesn't get in the way standing and is the perfect size for what I carry. When I replace it, I'll be deciding between this, the giant loop, or Wolfman Blackhawk. (looking used)

Initially it scratched the crap out of my tank, even though I kept it clean and waxed. I was able to buff it out and glued rubber shelf/toolbox liner to the bottom. It's worked great....even long dirty/muddy/dusty trips. The rubber grips the tank so it doesn't slide around and there's holes in it for dirt not to get trapped.

The only bummer about these size bags is the small map window.... I rarely use GPS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting! I was going to buy on line but have decided to try and see the bags first. Evidently there are both SW Motech and Givi bags that are supposed to fit. Will check them out of the next couple of weeks and report back. A company called Hermod in Newcastle were very helpful on the phone and say they will be getting examples in stock soon.
Hi there, did you find a SW Motech bag that fits?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts