Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning new here just received my new 2017 left over wondering what every uses for a tank bag looking for one that fits the bike thanks for you input.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a Nelson rigg Trails End that straps to the frame. It is the best piece of gear I have purchased for any bike I have ever owned. It looks great, it is about 90 dollars, holds 16 liters, and is fairly water resistant. It comes with a rain cover that makes it waterproof.

On a trip I fit my wallet, spare visor, spare winter gloves, jacket, helmet lock, and motorcycle jump starter in it when expanded. It doesn't get in my field of view (unnoticeable while riding) and comes off the bike with four abs quick buckles. The straps stay on the bike, but I just leave it attached. When fuelling I undo the tree buckles and lean the bag back for access to the tank.

It also looks pretty cool on the bike. I'll get better pictures when I get my bike back from the suspension shop. Ask questions if you think of any.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
My lightly used 2016 came with a Touratech expandable tankbag, which I hate (for sale in the For Sale thread). For my part, it was too big. I now use a cheap-o Joe Rocket Manta, which is just big enough for few essentials, and I love it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use a MotoCentric Mototrek 7 Tank Bag (magnetic) which I bought for my ST1300 and now use on my Africa Twin. It was very cheap, only 7 litres but that is plenty for small items including a power bank that I want to charge from the bikes USB ports. Being small makes it easier to not be in the way, which is pretty important.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a Giant Loop Fandango Pro. The drypod keeps things dry but the bag leaks. Both the bag and base move around a lot and scuff **** out of the tank with the 'trucker tarp' base. The zippers attaching the base to the bag are problematic; hard to start and sometimes open up when zipped.

I've a Wolfman bag on my KTM and find it much more user friendly. Had it on my DR before that and it never scuffed the paint - the Wolfman base is sticky and softer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the givi 15l expandable with the tank locking ring and I love it. Quick install and removal and no straps.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
That's what I'm using too. Mine has the Givi-S111 Power Hub Kit inside so I can keep my phone and Sena headset module charged. I like that the tank bag just locks onto the tank locking ring and the bag doesn't rest on the tank's paint.

Reactions: JJ Mendez

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is a Garmin GPS in a Touratech locking mount attached to a Camel windscreen brace via a Ram ball and arm.
Thanks for some reason I thought that there was a cell phone mounted over the main instrument panel. I must have been on something at the time!

·
Registered
97 Posts
good morning new here just received my new 2017 left over wondering what every uses for a tank bag looking for one that fits the bike thanks for you input.
Here is a pic of my givi installed. It's great that you don't have to undo the tank straps every time you take it off.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have no use for a tank bag.. but if one were to become essential for me then I would definitely go for either the GIVI or SW-Motech systems that use the bolt-on fuel cap ring.

no straps. whats not to like?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would definitely go for either the GIVI or SW-Motech systems that use the bolt-on fuel cap ring.

no straps. whats not to like?
They can fall off, or at least my Givi tank bag did - due to its very weak springs. I'd much rather trust straps - and when I'm not using the bag, there's no ugly tank ring spoiling the beautiful lines of my tank.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Big GIVI tank lock bag does have a stupid front strap. Not sure what it's function is other than to frustrate the owner. I've been tempted to cut my strap off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wait till the tank connector comes loose at 60k on a trail and the bag flies off. I have mine tied around the bars and also it's useful to sling over your shoulder when carrying.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wait till the tank connector comes loose at 60k on a trail and the bag flies off. I have mine tied around the bars and also it's useful to sling over your shoulder when carrying.

I won't be on a trail with my AT. I have a real dirt bike for that type duty.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts