Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been using an SW Motech tank ring bag for several years among different bikes. It probably has 70k+ miles on it...it's never come loose or felt like it would fail.

As far as the tank ring itself...I really don't notice it, and it looks much better than the scuffed paint I've experienced with every strap-on tank bag I've used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with the OEM tank bag, it is a little small but fits very nicely and dsosn't require any straps. You can find them on eBay and on ruggedroads. I'll post a pic when I get home.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I went with the OEM tank bag, it is a little small but fits very nicely and dsosn't require any straps. You can find them on eBay and on ruggedroads. I'll post a pic when I get home.
I did too, but I think it's poor. It is very small, it's not waterproof, It doesnt even take my iphone 7 plus in the clear compartment, and it has scratched my fuel cap. It cost almost £100 but I see ebay is selling them for £70 now.
mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
I doubt my GIVI would ever fall off. I can barely get it to release at a gas stop. I've owned several GIVI tank loc style bags and the Honda AT one is the worst pos I have bought from them. Terrible design that will mess up the paint on you tank if you don't take that into account early. I added 3m clear film on my tank where the rear part of tank bag hangs down on the tank. The lock mechanism on mine must be screwed because it is hard to release. Then there is that stupid strap to deal with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I doubt my GIVI would ever fall off. I can barely get it to release at a gas stop. I've owned several GIVI tank loc style bags and the Honda AT one is the worst pos I have bought from them. Terrible design that will mess up the paint on you tank if you don't take that into account early. I added 3m clear film on my tank where the rear part of tank bag hangs down on the tank. The lock mechanism on mine must be screwed because it is hard to release. Then there is that stupid strap to deal with.
I would have to agree. I actually called and ask them to make a little smaller Tank bag that would fit on this tank lock system. For me I don’t use all the space in this tank lock bag. And would prefer her to be a little smaller. Maybe 7 L give or take. That was about a year ago that I talked with them. They did say that they had to design it that way because of how far forward the gas cap is. I would say that for me I have “learned“ to get it off the tank ring fairly easy although sometimes I seem to have a challenge getting it back on.. My Biggest complaint was because of the size of the bag and how far it extended backward it’s in the way when you stand on your pegs and especially when you’re trying to lean forward on hills.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
Here is a pic of my givi installed. It's great that you don't have to undo the tank straps every time you take it off.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Wow! Did someone steal your fairings while you were parked there? Or where they at the cleaners at the time of this picture?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have been considering changing to a larger tank bag to give me more storage when riding off-road without the panniers or top box. I've decided to stick with my small magnetic bag though because fouling the bars is much less of a problem with a small bag and practically no issue at all with a magnetic bag. If my bars hit my bag, they only push the bag over a little, unlike a bag attached to a tank ring.

I have instead bought a Giant Loop Rogue dry bag which I'll take with me on trips. I'll strap the bag to the back when I leave the panniers and top box at the campground and go on off-road rides. It'll give me plenty of room for my water bottle and camera and drone and other stuff, without having a 58 litre top box bouncing around.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I have been considering changing to a larger tank bag to give me more storage when riding off-road without the panniers or top box. I've decided to stick with my small magnetic bag though because fouling the bars is much less of a problem with a small bag and practically no issue at all with a magnetic bag. If my bars hit my bag, they only push the bag over a little, unlike a bag attached to a tank ring.

I have instead bought a Giant Loop Rogue dry bag which I'll take with me on trips. I'll strap the bag to the back when I leave the panniers and top box at the campground and go on off-road rides. It'll give me plenty of room for my water bottle and camera and drone and other stuff, without having a 58 litre top box bouncing around.
Share a pic of your particular tank bag arrangement?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Share a pic of your particular tank bag arrangement?
It's just a small magnetic tank bag:

Nothing special, just hold small items like cleaning cloth and power bank that is charging from bike USB sockets. I do try to ensure the tether is trapped under the magnets, otherwise it flaps about and is very annoying. I can quickly throw the bag off and let it hang from the tether when I'm refuelling, it is VERY easy to get it out of the way when I fuel up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would have to agree. I actually called and ask them to make a little smaller Tank bag that would fit on this tank lock system. For me I don’t use all the space in this tank lock bag. And would prefer her to be a little smaller. Maybe 7 L give or take. That was about a year ago that I talked with them. They did say that they had to design it that way because of how far forward the gas cap is. I would say that for me I have “learned“ to get it off the tank ring fairly easy although sometimes I seem to have a challenge getting it back on.. My Biggest complaint was because of the size of the bag and how far it extended backward it’s in the way when you stand on your pegs and especially when you’re trying to lean forward on hills.
I have the same Givi bag and I dislike it for the same reason. It just gets in the way when you are riding off road.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I gave this one a try; Honda promotes it as a tank bag:
PART#: 08L85-MKS-E00
4.5L capacity, waterproof Tank Bag has a clear pocket, convenient for storing maps,
is easily installed and removed with buckles and magnet.
I see it as a hybrid as it attaches via front clips and rear magnets.
It is made by Shad

Shad Tankbag 4.5L.jpg

21 - 36 of 36 Posts