Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I like my Mosko Moto Nomad because it comes with a hydration pack.
I really like the Nomad as well. Much smaller, lower profile, and nicely compartmentalized. It also includes the hydration pack. It isn't a style for those who prefer the "bucket bag," but it works well for those who prefer an organized and minimalistic approach.

Mosko will be releasing an update to the Nomad with a new name and updated features. There was some dispute with a company in the Netherlands that already had a bag called "Nomad," so they were going to change it to "Ranger." But then they found USWE already had a bag called "Ranger," so it will be "Nomax."

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mosko will be releasing an update to the Nomad with a new name and updated features. There was some dispute with a company in the Netherlands that already had a bag called "Nomad," so they were going to change it to "Ranger." But then they found USWE already had a bag called "Ranger," so it will be "Nomax."
That seems to happen a lot more now simply because of the number of products that have, are or will be in production for sale to the public. I came across a reference mentioning General Motors had to pay a royalty to Triumph when GM introduced the Bonneville name to their model line. On the other side of the pond Rootes Group produced the Sunbeam Alpine sports car. Rootes Group decided to put a Ford 260 cid V-8 in some Alpines and that version became marketed as the Sunbeam Tiger in North America. In Europe it was known as the Alpine 260 since someone else had already claimed that name in the UK as well as Europe. The person supplying the information was a member of a Sunbeam car club and didn't really want to give much more information than that. Triumph would be a good guess.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
That seems to happen a lot more now simply because of the number of products that have, are or will be in production for sale to the public. I came across a reference mentioning General Motors had to pay a royalty to Triumph when GM introduced the Bonneville name to their model line. On the other side of the pond Rootes Group produced the Sunbeam Alpine sports car. Rootes Group decided to put a Ford 260 cid V-8 in some Alpines and that version became marketed as the Sunbeam Tiger in North America. In Europe it was known as the Alpine 260 since someone else had already claimed that name in the UK as well as Europe. The person supplying the information was a member of a Sunbeam car club and didn't really want to give much more information than that. Triumph would be a good guess.
Some companies get really carried away and litigious. Backcountry. com sporting goods is a recent example. They were sending cease and desist orders to pretty much everyone that had Backcountry in their name. I understand Butler and the Backcountry discovery routes where under fire.

Backcountry Nitro in Boulder Colorado recieved a cease and decist with a "settlement" that prevented them from selling their products online or doing any online marketing. Of course a settlement that prevents you from marketing or selling your product isn't really a settlement at all.

Also among the sued, was Back Country Babes (a women focused backcountry avalanche education clinic).

I don't understand how companies get away with enforcing common use words, but I am not a trademark lawyer.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quick question.. Does anyone know if the SW-Motech EVO City (Quick Lock) bag will work on the Africa Twin. I like the ring mounted bags and I currently have a GIVI S320 but it is very large for every day use. Givi does not have any other bags that work on the BF25 ring - so we are limited to the S320 using that ring.

What I am looking to do, is get a 2 bags that use the same platform (ring) so that I can use the smaller one in the city and the larger one on road trips. It would be great if I could use the same ring - otherwise it might not be worth it.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It fits the 2019 and will fit any year AT.
It is no bigger than a Blackhawk (Wolfman) bag.
Stays out of the way on or offroad and so far has held up well.

You can get it on Fleabay too:

Couple questions.

On the tank bag, did it come with the attaching clips and protective film? Is the bottom of the tank bag a nice neoprene?

Your tank pads, are they the ones listed for the 2020 at on Honda's website?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Couple questions.

On the tank bag, did it come with the attaching clips and protective film? Is the bottom of the tank bag a nice neoprene?

Your tank pads, are they the ones listed for the 2020 at on Honda's website?
Yes and yes.
But the bottom is not soft and not harsh enough to scratch the tank.
The protective film is just in case dirt gets caught in between, I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Love my Nomad! It's teh best for anal/OCD organizer types.

Reactions: AdvArt

·
Registered
489 Posts
Tank bags are awesome. The thing I learned about them is , the larger they are the more stuff you put in, & for me that becomes a problem, large tank bags when riding on dirt trails, & I need to stand on the pegs become a problem, I try to lean forward , they are always in the way. The small tank bags work best for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
View attachment 55604
Love my Nomad! It's teh best for anal/OCD organizer types.
The ONLY feature I like about the Mosko is the hydration bladder but don't like all the folder like compartments. Good for long distance organization but if the compartments could be removed and create a single space for local small grocery runs then I would get it instead of all the other look-alikes. I just have ATAS and online ordering from now on so I'm trying to order the right gear for me. Maybe get both like the Honda 4.5L and the Mosko for longer rides. Thanks

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
The ONLY feature I like about the Mosko is the hydration bladder but don't like all the folder like compartments. Good for long distance organization but if the compartments could be removed and create a single space for local small grocery runs then I would get it instead of all the other look-alikes. I just have ATAS and online ordering from now on so I'm trying to order the right gear for me. Maybe get both like the Honda 4.5L and the Mosko for longer rides. Thanks
I just tie stuff down to the luggage rack on the back using a Bungie net and some rok straps. Groceries, charcoal, firewood, beer, whatever. I have always had the "bucket" type tank bags until I got the Nomad. But I can't see myself going back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just tie stuff down to the luggage rack on the back using a Bungie net and some rok straps. Groceries, charcoal, firewood, beer, whatever. I have always had the "bucket" type tank bags until I got the Nomad. But I can't see myself going back. View attachment 56284
Well I took your advice on:
1. Extended warranty
2. Touratech Pannier racks
3. Might as well go ahead and order the Nomad
4. Which panniers are those with canisters/flasks on the back?

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
If you do prefer sticking groceries in the tank bag, you probably won't like the Nomad. But you also may find with some time and adjustment that you prefer it.

I had a large bucket type tank bag on my bikes all the way through my 2016 AT, but when I moved to the 2019 ATAS. The purchaser of the 2016 wanted the tank bag so I threw it in. In the meantime, I went back to using my Klim backpack, which I had mostly only used with my KTM 690 Enduro. The more I used it the more I (a) found I liked not having a big tank bag in front of me and (b) liked the organizational style of the Klim backpack that I own.

When I saw the Nomad at the Progressive Motorcycle Show in Denver, I was surprised how similar it was in organization to my Klim backpack, and liked how low profile it was compared to the large "bucket." Having used it for a while now, I find I much prefer it to the "bucket" particularly when standing. But even seated. The "beaver tail" section on the top is great for quick access items and the hydration back is really nice.

Negatives to it are:

(A) it isn't waterproof and therefore comes with a rain cover. But it doesn't rain that much in Colorado and when it does it isn't for that long. I sprayed mine with some Nikwax Tent & Gear and it works fine for the rain that we get. But if you are looking for a waterproof tank bag, do NOT get the Nomad.

(B) The water bladder can be a little fidgety to get in and out, but not as bad as reviews would lead you to believe. The reviews about that are mostly regarding the older camel back style water bladder that would get really puffy and rounded when filled with water. Newer ones use the Hydropack Shapeshift bladder, which has a baffle in the middle. This prevents the bladder from getting to round when filled and insertion is far easier. But of course still not as easy as just dropping a bladder into the "bucket."

(C) The zippers are a little small for a gloved hand. Easily solved by adding zipper pulls. I added the MSR Universal Reflective to mine.

Positives are:

(A) Low profile. It doesn't get in your way.

(B) Well organized and easier to find what you are looking for right away, whether it is tire gauge, memory cards, action cam batteries, snacks, pen, etc.

(C) Has straps so that it can be used as a backpack either on your motorcycle or if you ride somewhere and hike around.

(D) Water Bladder hose routing and clip are secure and convenient and easy to reach and stow.

As for tying down groceries and other things I make use of Rokstraps and a bungee net and can get most anything tied down. This is one of Sara's old bikes, but the same concept. :)

Oh, and the Panniers are the Touratech Zega Pro with the fuel cans and mounts

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you do prefer sticking groceries in the tank bag, you probably won't like the Nomad. But you also may find with some time and adjustment that you prefer it.
Oh, and the Panniers are the Touratech Zega Pro with the fuel cans and mounts
Thank you for the explanation, though today I bought the Honda 4.5L tank bag and semi rigid Nelson Rigg Sierra panniers. When I feel confident to start long distance rides + camping etc then I'll get gear that is more robust, but most likely that will not happen until next spring 2021. I'm jealous you live in a pro ADV landscape, I live in a flat concrete jungle and have to look for adventure 10-15 hours ride away. I plan to get in shape for that ride, you betcha!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Quick question.. Does anyone know if the SW-Motech EVO City (Quick Lock) bag will work on the Africa Twin. I like the ring mounted bags and I currently have a GIVI S320 but it is very large for every day use. Givi does not have any other bags that work on the BF25 ring - so we are limited to the S320 using that ring.

What I am looking to do, is get a 2 bags that use the same platform (ring) so that I can use the smaller one in the city and the larger one on road trips. It would be great if I could use the same ring - otherwise it might not be worth it.

Thank you all.
Hola JJ,

I'm running the Evo City on my 2016. It is working out just fine.

Here's a post with additional details:

Reactions: JJ Mendez

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Thank you for the explanation, though today I bought the Honda 4.5L tank bag and semi rigid Nelson Rigg Sierra panniers. When I feel confident to start long distance rides + camping etc then I'll get gear that is more robust, but most likely that will not happen until next spring 2021. I'm jealous you live in a pro ADV landscape, I live in a flat concrete jungle and have to look for adventure 10-15 hours ride away. I plan to get in shape for that ride, you betcha!
You don't need to be doing long-distance rides to use/need the Nomad. It is a great day/work commute back as well. ly The only thing it really doesn't do well is grocery shop :)

I have had a lot of different bags, Wolfman, Endurostan, Giant Loop, Nelson Rigg, SW-Motech, OEM, etc. This one is so far my favorite. But everyone is going to have their own way of doing things and their own list of what is most important to them in a bag. So opinions will be as varied about bags as they are about screens and seats.

I do like where I live. Great riding is only a short distance away and there is enough of it where i don't get bored riding the same routes :)

41 - 60 of 106 Posts