Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just picked up the sw motech evo city and it seems to work very well on my bike. I offered up the smaller evo engage and had a bit of an issue with handlebar clearance on full steering lock due to the shape of the front of the bag. My bike is an ATAS so this may be different on the non adventure sports model. There is a little bit of play between the lock ring and the bag mount when its fitted but I'm sure this can be fixed with a little tape to pack it out, overall I'm very happy with my new purchase.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Too bad people don't post a picture of the bag they prefer on their bikes. I like to see what things look like on my style of bike

·
Registered
223 Posts
The giant loop is one of the few where's there's a plethora of AT photos available. It must be a good bag!

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Giant Loop Fandango. Next time I'll try the Mosko Nomad.
View attachment 56548
I had a Giant Loop Fandango on my 2016. Loved everything about it with the exception of the zipper system to the harness, which I found kind of figidy and annoying. But not a deal breaker since I liked everything else about it. But it didn't work well with my 2019 ATAS, so I gave it away with the 2016.

I have the Nomad on my 2019 and am liking it. It doesn't get in my way sitting or standing and no issues with with the bars, etc. lock to lock.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a Giant Loop Fandango on my 2016. Loved everything about it with the exception of the zipper system to the harness, which I found kind of figidy and annoying.
Exactly the same thoughts I had about my Fandango, the zippers are absolutely horrible, so much so they really spoil the bag for me.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Exactly the same thoughts I had about my Fandango, the zippers are absolutely horrible, so much so they really spoil the bag for me.
Yeah. I never wanted to unzip it all the way to refuel or anything else, because getting it rezipped was a pain in the butt. If didn't get it just right it would separate from the top down, etc. So I always just unzipped it about 90% and pushed it out of the way. I personally would have preferred a clip and magnet system like Triumph used do (maybe still does) with the Tiger tank bag, but even a heavy duty YYK zipper would have worked better than the the thin, non-ridgid one did.

But that was honestly my sole complain with an otherwise all around great bag, other than it didn't fit well on the ATAS.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah. I never wanted to unzip it all the way to refuel or anything else, because getting it rezipped was a pain in the butt. If didn't get it just right it would separate from the top down, etc. So I always just unzipped it about 90% and pushed it out of the way. I personally would have preferred a clip and magnet system like Triumph used do (maybe still does) with the Tiger tank bag, but even a heavy duty YYK zipper would have worked better than the the thin, non-ridgid one did.

But that was honestly my sole complain with an otherwise all around great bag, other than it didn't fit well on the ATAS.
Yeah, I dread having to fuel up now, getting the zipper started again is a real pain. Mine is starting to come apart a bit at the start to from all the repeated tries and fiddling with it. Not sure how a system like that could have passed any kind of user testing especially for the price they are charging for it. I don't like the zipper on the bag itself either, can never seem to do it with one hand. It does fit what I need to carry though so like that part, but would never buy one again.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Yeah, I dread having to fuel up now, getting the zipper started again is a real pain. Mine is starting to come apart a bit at the start to from all the repeated tries and fiddling with it. Not sure how a system like that could have passed any kind of user testing especially for the price they are charging for it. I don't like the zipper on the bag itself either, can never seem to do it with one hand. It does fit what I need to carry though so like that part, but would never buy one again.
Mine was coming apart as well and the more it came apart the harder it was to get started. If I had kept it I would have probably found some place to replace the zipper with a heavy duty waterproof YYK, with the hope that it would hold up better.

As for the zipper on the bag, I did put some nice zip pulls on it. Something that I similarly carried over to the Nomad. I just find them easier to manage with a gloved hand.

My wife has an Endurostan Tank Bag on her '17. They are nice bags as well. Waterproof and well built. I still have one from my KTM 1190 that looks great after 3 years use, but it didn't work on my 2016 AT or 2019 ATAS. I am keeping that one in case I get another bike it works on. I really like the Endurostan bags.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of the reasons I decided on the Sw Motech was because of the ease of refueling. I also like the fact you can easily remove it and take it with you with no effort at all.

Not the greatest pictures but I'll get some better ones when I get the bike out tomorrow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its not a cheap solution but the quality/feel is excellent. you can open it with one hand while wearing gloves very easily. The quick release is fantastic and very simple to unclip/reinstall on the bike, you can even do it one handed. It has a small grab handle at the front for carrying it while its off the bike and also comes with a waterproof cover and shoulder strap.

There are also a lot of nice design touches, things like pre fitted grommets that can be cut to open them (ie they stay sealed if you decide not to use them) and then used to feed cables in and out of the front and the back of the bag. The side and rear pocket zips all have a small piece of elasticated fabric sewn at the ends to hold them in place and stop unwanted movement of the pulls when not in use. The attention to detail is top notch.

My only regret is not buying one sooner. I hated having all of the things in my pokets while riding. It feels great having somewhere to throw all of the junk we seem to carry around these days :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its not a cheap solution but the quality/feel is excellent. you can open it with one hand while wearing gloves very easily. The quick release is fantastic and very simple to unclip/reinstall on the bike, you can even do it one handed. It has a small grab handle at the front for carrying it while its off the bike and also comes with a waterproof cover and shoulder strap.

There are also a lot of nice design touches, things like pre fitted grommets that can be cut to open them (ie they stay sealed if you decide not to use them) and then used to feed cables in and out of the front and the back of the bag. The side and rear pocket zips all have a small piece of elasticated fabric sewn at the ends to hold them in place and stop unwanted movement of the pulls when not in use. The attention to detail is top notch.

My only regret is not buying one sooner. I hated having all of the things in my pokets while riding. It feels great having somewhere to throw all of the junk we seem to carry around these days :D
Here is my bag. Actually, I have two bags.. this 7 liter for the city and a bigger bag for travel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Man. I've been looking at SW-Motech tank bags for awhile (stopped using tank bags a long time ago because it affected the looks of classic street bikes) and they are some of the best stitched. What I don't understand after a few decades of tank bags is, why is a rain cover still used? Very few tank bags in 2020 are water repellent to start. Why I ask? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is my bag. Actually, I have two bags.. this 7 liter for the city and a bigger bag for travel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was going to buy that one but when I offered it up to my bike the bars didnt clear it very well on full lock. When I tried the city it seemed to clear a lot better, despite it being bigger, so I settled on that instead. I am tempted to pick up the evo micro as well for shorter rides out. I also now want another tank ring for my fireblade. :D

Man. I've been looking at SW-Motech tank bags for awhile (stopped using tank bags a long time ago because it affected the looks of classic street bikes) and they are some of the best stitched. What I don't understand after a few decades of tank bags is, why is a rain cover still used? Very few tank bags in 2020 are water repellent to start. Why I ask? :rolleyes:
It is a shame its not waterproof without the cover. I guess it would be fairly water "resistant" in light rain or brief showers, especially with a coat of waterproofing spray. I dont mind too much though as I have put the rain cover in the rear pocket and I'm fairly sure I could fit it very quickly if needed, perhaps without even stopping the bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
I was going to buy that one but when I offered it up to my bike the bars didnt clear it very well on full lock. When I tried the city it seemed to clear a lot better, despite it being bigger, so I settled on that instead. I am tempted to pick up the evo micro as well for shorter rides out. ...
I sense a tank bag fetish. :p

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Very few tank bags in 2020 are water repellent to start. Why I ask? :rolleyes:
If I was to take a stab at it I would guess that it is because the waterproof bags tend to be more rigid. A lot of people don't like rigid tank bags. If your standing they can have a bad habit of digging into your crotch, or the bars hit them at full lock. From my own personal experience at least, I find that you have to be more careful about the size and shape of the waterproof ones than you do the softer non-waterproof textiles. Just my own .2

61 - 80 of 106 Posts