Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a tank pad? I'd like a red one, but can't seem to find one anywhere. My AT already has a few swirly scratches on the tank.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I used a package from Tankslapper with Expel Ultimate film. Protects the front and sides of the tank along with the front upper plastics and headlight lenses. Good value and completely (almost) invisible.

Use it for the life of the film (5 years). Take it off and replace it.

http://thetankslapper.biz/african-twin-package-kit/

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the blue/red one on first and thought it was pretty nice. I've now got this grey one on instead and I'll give it a while to see how I like it.
Do you have to put that on bit by bit or does it go on in one piece I'm afraid I'd never get it to look right,yours came out mint!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. This looks like the one...if they ship to Australia.

I used a package from Tankslapper with Expel Ultimate film. Protects the front and sides of the tank along with the front upper plastics and headlight lenses. Good value and completely (almost) invisible.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Thanks Funk, this looks like a nice kit. Can you answer a few questions?

1. Does this cover enough to protect against a tank bag and straps?
2. Do the pieces fit proper?
3. Does it go on fairly easy or is it near impossible to get the air bubbles out?
4. Did you go with the gloss or the matt Expel and why the Expel Ultimate film?

·
Registered
975 Posts
It does cover the part of the tank closest to you and the sides very well. There's a bit of a gap between the film from the tank sides and the one that wraps up to the filler. It doesn't 100% cover the tank but probably about 95% or more. You could probably get away with the tank bag and straps.

The pieces are good. Not perfect but certainly not bang on. I'm not type-a, so I didn't fuss with them to get them 100% but they do a really good job of covering things. You could be more finicky and get everything sorted. The film is pretty easy to work with just alcohol (rubbing not drinking, although that might help, too) and water and a spray bottle. Took about an hour or so.

The film went on without any major bubbles. A few tiny ones that I poked tiny little air holes in and they vanished. Again, if you really wanted to get it 100% perfect the first time, I'm sure you could.

The pieces that go on the headlights work perfectly and nearly invisible.

I chose the gloss, which makes it near invisible against the paint. I've used 3M film before and just couldn't get it right and it ended up coming off. So I thought I'd try something new this time. The Expel, IMHO, works better and is easier to apply. It also doesn't seem to yellow or distort the underlying colour of the paint as much as my experience with the 3M.

For $50+ it seems like a good alternative to adhesive tank pads or the grippers on the sides of the tank which I think are hideous.

Hope that helps.

I'll take a few pics and see if it turns out.

** Photos show how the film follows contours of the bike pretty well. You can see from the seat the gap between the two pieces of film (for your tank bag) and how they taper together towards the top of the tank.

That's dust in my garage by the way not bubbles.

Thanks Funk, this looks like a nice kit. Can you answer a few questions?

1. Does this cover enough to protect against a tank bag and straps?
2. Do the pieces fit proper?
3. Does it go on fairly easy or is it near impossible to get the air bubbles out?
4. Did you go with the gloss or the matt Expel and why the Expel Ultimate film?

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
It does cover the part of the tank closest to you and the sides very well. There's a bit of a gap between the film from the tank sides and the one that wraps up to the filler. It doesn't 100% cover the tank but probably about 95% or more. You could probably get away with the tank bag and straps.

The pieces are good. Not perfect but certainly not bang on. I'm not type-a, so I didn't fuss with them to get them 100% but they do a really good job of covering things. You could be more finicky and get everything sorted. The film is pretty easy to work with just alcohol (rubbing not drinking, although that might help, too) and water and a spray bottle. Took about an hour or so.

The film went on without any major bubbles. A few tiny ones that I poked tiny little air holes in and they vanished. Again, if you really wanted to get it 100% perfect the first time, I'm sure you could.

The pieces that go on the headlights work perfectly and nearly invisible.

I chose the gloss, which makes it near invisible against the paint. I've used 3M film before and just couldn't get it right and it ended up coming off. So I thought I'd try something new this time. The Expel, IMHO, works better and is easier to apply. It also doesn't seem to yellow or distort the underlying colour of the paint as much as my experience with the 3M.

For $50+ it seems like a good alternative to adhesive tank pads or the grippers on the sides of the tank which I think are hideous.

Hope that helps.

I'll take a few pics and see if it turns out.

** Photos show how the film follows contours of the bike pretty well. You can see from the seat the gap between the two pieces of film (for your tank bag) and how they taper together towards the top of the tank.

That's dust in my garage by the way not bubbles.

GREAT review Funk thanks it helps a ton. I used a similar product on my Goldwing and it worked and looked great after I owned it for 13 years. I think I will be adding this to my list of must do's as spring nears. It looks great in your pictures good job and thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts