Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my new AT Adventure Sport on Friday. Do you think it necessary to have a tank protector?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yea absolutely. Mine has a few scuffs from the couple quick rides before I put tank protectors on. Pants get dirty, knees rub sides, balls rub top. I use the tech spec grippers - awesome.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The best way is to wrap your thank with duck tape,the cool part is when the tape starts to fray you can replace it with a different color easy and cheap ??

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used that clear plastic film, I forget what it is called. I just bought a roll and cut it to suit. Goes on with a bit of water and propyl alcohol. You have to peer very closely to even notice it. When it's all scratched up and scuffed, you take it off and put another piece on.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I bought the tankslapper film kit (xpel ultimate gloss) - does the whole front of the bike and works really well. If you do it correctly it is virtually invisible. Protects again scratches and on mine even protected the paint from a drop on the side.

http://thetankslapper.biz/african-twin-package-kit/

Reactions: rider_marc

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought the tankslapper film kit (xpel ultimate gloss) - does the whole front of the bike and works really well. If you do it correctly it is virtually invisible. Protects again scratches and on mine even protected the paint from a drop on the side.

Trying to figure out Tankslappers pricing for just the tank protector kit, $20 for the Tankslapper material but $45 for the Excel material. But if you look at the entire bike kit its $72 for either type material.
Too pretty of a bike not to protect the looks, at least try to do so.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've used the 3M product before and it didn't come out nearly as invisible or as easy to work with as the Xpel. Really good stuff and worth it on an expensive bike. :)

Trying to figure out Tankslappers pricing for just the tank protector kit, $20 for the Tankslapper material but $45 for the Excel material. But if you look at the entire bike kit its $72 for either type material.
Too pretty of a bike not to protect the looks, at least try to do so.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Installing the Xpel

I got my film kit from Tankslapper, no instructions of any kind, watching some of the Youtube installs of the Xpel they are using an alcohol and water spray as the wetting agent. Tankslapper's videos are vague about the correct wetting agent. I have done window films using the soap and water wetting agent. What did you use?
Could you give a few details of what you remember?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just finished installing the Tankslapper film protection, and I have to admit...I had my doubts but the design cut down to the thickness of the film is very impressive. The film"feels and looks" like it belongs on the bike. And feels just like the factory decals.

Although, I do have one gripe: why in the world would they create protection film for the fork tubes but not for the nose side fairing? Makes no sense to me.

Anyhow, I filled a spray bottle with 3/4 water and 1/4 rubbing alcohol as instructed and it worked perfectly. I tested soap and water and that got messy.

Word of advice: the key to making it all line up (at least in my experience) is to use the "stretch/pull" method in small sections. Oh, and don't forget to spray, spray, SPRAY!!! LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just finished installing the Tankslapper film protection, and I have to admit...the film is very impressive. The design "feels and looks" like it's straight from the factory, and like it belongs on the bike.

Although, I do have one gripe: why in the world would they create protection film for the fork tubes but not for the nose side fairing? Makes no sense to me.

Anyhow, I filled a spray bottle with 3/4 water and 1/4 rubbing alcohol as instructed and it worked perfectly. I tested soap and water and that was messy.

Word of advice: the key to making it all line up (at least in my experience) is the "stretch/pull" method. Oh, and don't forget to spray, spray, SPRAY!!! LOL
Looks great! Thanks for the advice.

Like I posted before, I got these rubber protectors from Amazon, but I found they looked kind of cheap, did not blend with the bike and they would be a pain to clean. I returned them.

I ordered the Tankslapper film (only the thank pieces) and will install this Saturday.

Cheers!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I used water mixed with rubbing alcohol. Worked perfectly.
They recommend using a bit of baby soap and water. I think anything will work it just gives you time to move the film into position before it dries.

I got my film kit from Tankslapper, no instructions of any kind, watching some of the Youtube installs of the Xpel they are using an alcohol and water spray as the wetting agent. Tankslapper's videos are vague about the correct wetting agent. I have done window films using the soap and water wetting agent. What did you use?
Could you give a few details of what you remember?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed yesterday the tank slapper film.

I admit it was MUCH MORE challenging than I expected. I cursed for hours, but got it done. I learned a lot though.

This morning I noticed there are some places where there is dust trapped inside the film, luckily is only around the borders. Is it ok to remove the film only on the dusty sections, clean and re-apply? All this after more than 24 hours of the first application.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts