Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I need a tank bag for my AT. I want one that mounts with a ring for quick on and off and will not touch the paint on the tank.

My question is how tall can the bag be and still let me see all of the instrument panel? What have you tried that works well? Does it interfere with turning (handle bars hit it) ? I don't think I would need more than 5 to 7 liters since I plan to carry it with me when I leave the bike.

Givi and SW-motech seem to have the most variety but no local stocking dealers to try before you buy.

Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does it interfere with turning (handle bars hit it)
Every ring mounted one I tried (or measured) did indeed interfere with the handle bars. The ring is quite far forward and anything but a very slim bag is going to clash with the large travel on the bars.

Even hepco-and-becker's AT specific bag clashed with the bars.

In the end I went with a mag mounted solution, still had to be quite skinny though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've just ordered the S W Motech Micro, that expands to 5 ltrs, I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got the Touratech Ambato Exp. It does touch the tank, but has a perfectly sculpted bottom, so doesn't move in the slightest, and should not cause much abrasion. One could always put on some protective plastic I s'pose, but compared to the abuse I have planned for my AT over the next few years, that would pale in comparison;-) Once the harness is installed (3 screws - one at the front and 2 at the back, it comes on or off in seconds with 2 clip-buckles at the front and is just velcro'ed at the back. Installed it does not interfere with the handlebars (I have the 2" RoxRisers installed). While I like some of the Touratech stuff, I am most certainly not a fan-boy and find a lot of their stuff massively over-prized. I do like the tank-bag though and I'm glad I sold my GiantLoop Fandango Pro and got this one. As to how tall a bag can be in order for the OP to look over it while riding, would obviously be easier to guess if he revealed his height;-) I'm 5'11" and have do trouble seeing over the Touratech bag. More importantly (dashboard is really over-rated) is that it slopes forward enough so that it is not in the way when riding standing up on the foot-pegs

·
Registered
208 Posts
I spotted this product on the web recently.....

http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/product.php/1380/honda-africa-twintank-bag

It looked very familiar to me. I took out my left over tank bag after selling my KTM 950SM from two years ago. That was original KTM kit but the design is exactly the same as the FAMSA item. As such I have no doubt that the same company designed for KTM.

I set about trying the fit of the KTM bag on the AT as the tank on the KTM had a somewhat similar profile to the AT item. In the end, I have a decent fit. I will need some slight modification of the straps but it works well. The handlebars touch on full lock but not so that it is a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have tried my SW Motech EON 3 ,tank ring mounted, I had on my V storm, but NO way you can put that on the AT. It clashes big time with the handlebars.
Anyone installed some good 7 - ish liters bag?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The small touratech tank bag is about as big a bag as I want. I like the large map surface and it stays in place well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep . . . Great minds think alike . . .

Are your panniers on frames ? I have some wolfman expedition panniers but they usuallyy mount to frames, and I don't want t
Frames on bike 99.9 % of the time I don't need panniers, and the exhaust comes up quite high.

I used a kreiga tank mount and a us5/10 on my 990's

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry it's not a very good picture, but this is the SW Micro tank bag, I thought it maybe to small but its just the right size for what I have in mind, it expands another couple of inches,

I find it's great for my camera, wallet, phone, a spare pair of summer gloves and my visor cleaning stuff,

·
Registered
287 Posts
this is the tank bag ring for the AT, It allow you to fit various tank bags from their range, it's very simple to attach the bag, place on top of the mount and press down, it clicks into place, There's a small loop at the front to release the bag, you can also buy a locking screw that fits inside the bag (just to stop thieves from stealing it, thats an extra I didn't buy, (yet)
You attach the stainless plate first to the tank, screws supplied, then the plastic adaptor plate,

·
Registered
287 Posts
The adaptor plate that fits underneath the bag, you can position it where you like, the best position is where shown, this way it doesn't interfere with the steering or switches in any way,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts