Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help ? Had my AT for a month now, it's an 11 months old dealers demo and the aluminum inserts on the OEM panniers have developed streaks after riding in dirty, winter conditions. Not sure if it's the salt on the roads but it looks awful. Does anyone know of a product to cure this. I have used Solvol Autosol and household cream cleaner without success.

I am sure you guys out there can help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this on mine. Tried cleaning them with all sorts and ended up taking them back to the dealers. The dealers contacted Honda who told them to try cleaning them with Scotch-bright pads (scouring pads) from the supermarket. Now saying that I havent actually done it myself but they seem to say it worked and they did manage to get rid of all the stains.

If i were you i'd start with the less abrasive ones before moving on to the hardcore stuff!
Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can u put up some pictures.the oem panniers and top box seem to be very poor quality.at the high price they shed hold up to any conditions

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the marks are as well. I know with previous cases that had aluminum that they would show drip marks, runs and such on the finish. Honda spray cleaner or stainless steel cleaner from a hardware store usually took it off (The Honda cleaner also great for bug guts and tar from the road on your bike, windscreen and visor).

After just receiving the panniers, I can't say that I agree with Rockie. They are not cheap to buy but the quality is not cheap either. Yes, they are plastic but they are actually quite substantial and compare with GIVI, Kappa and other plastic/composite luggage. I don't think they would survive a serious crash but would likely survive a tip over.

Can u put up some pictures.the oem panniers and top box seem to be very poor quality.at the high price they shed hold up to any conditions

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys, not sure about the scourer method, I would have to make matters worse. Will try some of the aluminum cleaner though.

Sorry but I have no idea how to add or attach photos from my Android tablet !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After trying all suggestions I could not get rid of the marks, it was clear something had "attacked" the aluminium inserts. Went to my dealer (Honda Ecosse, Aberdeen) who were mystified by the marks. Photos were forwarded to Honda and brand new panniers are being fitted under warranty.

I only expected the aluminum inserts to be replaced but Honda are replacing the whole set and matching the locks with the ignition key.

Great service from Honda Ecosse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts