Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H all, recently gave the ATAS a good clean after a very wet commute back from work a week or so ago. The weather has been miserable and this was the first chance I had to clean her in daylight. After a good scrub with a nylon brush and hot soapy sponge I tried the pressure jet on the front edge of the guard where most of the road gunk had hit. When I had finished the stainless steel looked dirty and tarnished. Anyone else experienced this and what did you use to get it back to it's shiny like new look?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You'll experience good results with metal polish from an automotive parts store. Look in the wheel section. These were commonly used on chrome bumpers and wheels in days gone yore.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was pretty fanatical early on keeping everything spitshined and polished.... Yes the car polishes work well, but I've since moved in the direction of appreciating patina. Part of this, with all the gravel and off-pavement I run, is the amount of sandblasting that occurs...the pitting, scrapes, and gouges.... It's just the nature of having a machine I use for a purpose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Annoying as it takes the look off something that cost so much. Looks like I will have to live with it and bring out the metal polish at trade in time.

Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
They say scars are like tattoos only with better stories...
Engine guards are the same way, the bigger the scrape/dent the better the story..

·
Registered
178 Posts
It’s alloy and a regular wipe with ACF50 keeps it looking good. If its covered in stone chips and tarnished, a quick scrub with a fine (green coloured ones) scotchbrite will make it look better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried some standard metal polish which although time consuming seems to be getting most of the crud off. Once I am finished I think I will have invest in some ACF50 to reduce the tarnishing. Definitely cheap alloy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
A good bash plate keeps the bottom of your engine safe and somewhat clean. I consider it sacrificial - designed to be used up or destroyed whilst protecting the expensive bits.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,045 Posts
A good bash plate keeps the bottom of your engine safe and somewhat clean. I consider it sacrificial - designed to be used up or destroyed whilst protecting the expensive bits.
That is great "playing dead" capture black99S.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great pic. I'm with you on this. If I remember, I'll take a pic next oil change. I've got a beefy b and b bash plate and it's very scarred up, pitted, gouged, scraped. On the right side is a huge gouge that would've destroyed my exhaust pipes. I think of it as more about protection and less about looks. Judging by how it looks now and given where I take the bike, I shudder to think if I didn't have one or if I left the stocker on.

Its that line I think many of us have to cross.... having a pristine bike that we're afraid to use properly because we want it perfect, or using it as intended, as a tool for adventure, maintaining it properly, but accepting the patina that occurs with purposeful use. Mine sees alot of off road, so there's now light branch scrapes, handguards are rashed, rims have scratches from rocks, windscreen is scratched, crash bars are scraped, there's mud and dirt I'll never get cleaned out unless it's torn down. But it's my trusty steed, I love it dearly, and it's taking me on amazing adventures. Worrying about keeping it showroom would ruin what I am experiencing. 20191124_113538_1577277581952.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
What stainless steel is there? I thought the light bars on my ATAS were painted silver. Whatever it is - I think it has clear coat over it.

·
Super Moderator
3,045 Posts
What stainless steel is there? I thought the light bars on my ATAS were painted silver. Whatever it is - I think it has clear coat over it.
From the manufacturer, the first thing that appears is the exhaust headers, followed by other exhaust components. I think that is it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Bending the thread's theme - was asked what tyres were on the bike in the mud drop picture of the bash plate.
Mitas E-10 front and rear. In the mud pic I tried to change tracks to the left. Didn't make an aggressive enough move. Rode it through on the centre track after righting the bike.

Previously had the E07+ on the rear - not as good in mud but better life on gravel and pavement. I'd buy one again if I was off to Alaska.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts