Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to do the Trans-American Trail starting sometime in mid November. So I started following people that have done it. Here is a blog of someone who has completed it and I look forward to doing something similar with camping as much as I can. I'm not sure where but I will be writing a blog. I may dabble into vlogs as well. Not really sure if I would have time for video editing as I would probably just want to be enjoying my time away.

Any how, I will be posting up as much helpful stuff as possible to maybe inspire others to venture on their own as well.

Any tips or support along the way would be awesome!

Here is the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=10ctbFFqnd8K-FRn__QM68bD-Bjo&ll=39.426969292479754%2C-104.16955333203077&z=5

·
Registered
125 Posts
Didn't I read a few posts from you that you are new to off-roading? Well, I hate to rain on your parade but I doubt you will make it past the Plains. The western portion of the TAT, particularly the Rockies, is not big bike friendly at all. It would be unwise for even an intermediate dirt rider to tackle that on the AT alone and loaded up with gear. Suicidal for a novice.
If you Google "TAT long way down", there is a route that starts in Maine and goes down to join with the start of the regular TAT near the Cherohala. I just came back from a 2-week camping trip down south and rode portions of this. Beautiful riding through the Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains. And while some of them mountain forest roads can get a little sketchy (i.e. loose gravel, rutted), they pale in comparison to the Mountain passes in Colorado.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the TAT long way down. I'm looking into a bit more. Deff. don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I was aware of the rockies being off limits for me. I was planning on skipping the difficult parts of the trails and continue to move forward. I hope to take a closer look at all my map options but my main goal is essentially to go west mostly by off-road and by camping.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the TAT long way down. I'm looking into a bit more. Deff. don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I was aware of the rockies being off limits for me. I was planning on skipping the difficult parts of the trails and continue to move forward. I hope to take a closer look at all my map options but my main goal is essentially to go west mostly by off-road and by camping.
I think the weather is going to be a problem for you unless you stick to lower elevations and a more southerly route. I've been following ride reports that describe icy conditions and big detours for safety. Maybe you can take the first half of the tat and then go towards the AZBDR or another southwest state and towards the coast. I haven't researched any of that yet, though, so it might not be feasible from a logistical standpoint. It would make for an interesting ride, though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the weather is going to be a problem for you unless you stick to lower elevations and a more southerly route. I've been following ride reports that describe icy conditions and big detours for safety. Maybe you can take the first half of the tat and then go towards the AZBDR or another southwest state and towards the coast. I haven't researched any of that yet, though, so it might not be feasible from a logistical standpoint. It would make for an interesting ride, though.
Thanks! I will be doing further research on this route and post up my findings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, so it's somewhat planned out and the bike is nearly ready. Getting a few last minute items and will hopefully start my trip this Wednesday.

I will be trying to keep up with a blog if you'd like to follow. I'm new to it and probably won't be the best at it but I figured I would give it a shot. It's gonna be a cold one!

instagram: payaso_203
Blogsite: chipsnguacadventures.wordpress.com

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
Looks like a good route. There's a good chance of snow at higher altitudes this time of year even on the highways (Colorado, Utah, California). Be safe!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Enjoying reading the blog posts. Good luck on your way. I have a feeling as you move West you'll encounter something interesting - winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read your blog and it stopped after day 9. Did you finish the ride?

Alright, so it's somewhat planned out and the bike is nearly ready. Getting a few last minute items and will hopefully start my trip this Wednesday.

I will be trying to keep up with a blog if you'd like to follow. I'm new to it and probably won't be the best at it but I figured I would give it a shot. It's gonna be a cold one!

instagram: payaso_203
Blogsite: chipsnguacadventures.wordpress.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry

Hey, Sorry all for not following through. It's been such a crazy trip that at one point after trying to catch up with so many blogs I sorda gave up on the writing and continued with the adventure. I thought I would be able to stick my way with it but it ended up feeling like a burden then something fun to do. I did have a few drafts that I never published and am making public now.

So, I ended up loving San Diego. So I decided to stay here. I bought a car off of craigslist and started driving around for ridesharing apps. My wife Mina came to visit me for about a month and we made it concrete that we should be looking for a house over here. Then my brother came to check it out for 2 weeks and we had a good time together.

To be honest, the bike was sitting for a little while when I started having company visit. I did an oil change on the bike when I first got here and pretty much left it parked for about 2 months. Then rode it around every once in a while and cleaned the bike twice since being here.

The bike was an absolute champ on my entire journey. All the equipment I used was spot on. There were a few things I could do without but overall I think I did a pretty good job packing. I'll be doing a product summary hopefully soon but if you see something on the bike that you have a question about, shoot me a message and I'll be happy to answer it.

Thanks all who followed and enjoyed the few posts I wrote. Once again, sorry I didn't keep it consistent.

I read your blog and it stopped after day 9. Did you finish the ride?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts