Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has done this, how much difference did it make? Stage 1 is what I'm looking at.

The Africa Twin is plush on the road but is no 1090 R offroad.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
744 Posts
Depending on your weight... I'm 68kg + gear - Try Teknik's adjustment suggestions first.
10 turns on the fork preload
rebound adjusters on the fork caps at 1.0 turn out from full hard (I'm at ¾ turn)
compression adjuster at the fork bottom 5 click out from full hard (I'm at 2-clicks)

20 clicks on shock preload to get proper rider sag
compression adjuster on shock at top stock setting
rebound adjuster at shop bottom 3 out from full hard (I'm at 2-clicks)

Worked much better than stock, but last weekend I blew a fork seal at 17,000km after a 500km on gravel / FSR's / ATV tracks. All the boingers now at the suspension shop for rebuild and re-valve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had my rear shock given the Teknik treatment about 2 years ago. I sent it off for a re-valve, new spring and pre-load collar. I weigh 86kgs and raced a lot of motocross so Nick tuned it up to what he thought was right. I have to say it is bloody fantastic. Riding without a load I have no pre-load dialed in whatsoever on the rear spring, fully loaded about 10 clicks on. No load sag sits at about 70mm with no pre-load so she is a firm ride unloaded. You can hammer through any terrain and get the biggest smile. Best money I have spent. My bike was one of the first in Oz and the rear was very soft.

Front forks have just been adjusted just as above and are very good. My next thing would be to send them off for a bit of fine tuning to match the rear better. In saying that the improvement would not be huge as they are still good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will try adjustment and I think it will help, although suspension to my mind is the best money you can spend on a bike's performance.

I weigh about 110kg and offroad, the bike bounces around like a pogo stick at the moment. It bounces front to back to front to back unless on a pretty good surface.

Aside from being harder to ride than it should be, it is also very tiring and bottoms out which can't be good for it either.

I had suspension done on my last bike by Glenn Allerton the ASBK rider and he did an awesome job - although that means a new rear shock rather than just rebuild which makes it more expensive.

What I might do is ask him for a quote and then weigh it up against the teknik job. On the teknik website it says stage one is $1,095 although I would need to replace front springs which isn't included and will need some consumables making the final cost around $1,500 I would guess. Throw in a replacement shock and going with Glenn A will cost over $2K I'd say. I might adjust the existing suspension first, see how it goes and make a decision from there.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will try adjustment and I think it will help, although suspension to my mind is the best money you can spend on a bike's performance.

I weigh about 110kg and offroad, the bike bounces around like a pogo stick at the moment. It bounces front to back to front to back unless on a pretty good surface.

Aside from being harder to ride than it should be, it is also very tiring and bottoms out which can't be good for it either.

I had suspension done on my last bike by Glenn Allerton the ASBK rider and he did an awesome job - although that means a new rear shock rather than just rebuild which makes it more expensive.

What I might do is ask him for a quote and then weigh it up against the teknik job. On the teknik website it says stage one is $1,095 although I would need to replace front springs which isn't included and will need some consumables making the final cost around $1,500 I would guess. Throw in a replacement shock and going with Glenn A will cost over $2K I'd say. I might adjust the existing suspension first, see how it goes and make a decision from there.
At your weight I'd be upping springs front and rear, and having the boingers re-valved to handle the stiffer springs.
Cranking in the fork compression and shock rebound per Teknik will help but not solve your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts