Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I'm waiting on my 2017 Africa Twin none DCT, I was able to test ride DCT model.
To be honest I was a bit disappointed, not as much from the bike as the bike fit to my purpose. I ride 100% spirited street riding, no off road, no touring or sport touring. The bike is really large (even compared with my previous Multistrada 1200), and not very sporty. I was hoping for peppy off road feel, something like large supermoto, but it feels more dual purpose bike than road ADV (such as the KTM 1190).
I'm not sure if this bike is for me, and im seriously consider withdrawing my deposit.)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I ride 100% spirited street riding, no off road, no touring or sport touring.
It weighs over 240 kgs and has a 90/90/21 inch front tyre/tire aimed at off road, you must have had it in the Drive mode, it is not that powerful but its all usable and over 90 HP.
At least you only put a deposit down, I payed the full amount and the test ride was when I left the dealership, I was good to go by the front gate. :grin2:

Take a ride on a 2007 Hypermotard 1100S, that is a great bike for spirited street riding and is some 60 kgs lighter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like it is not the bike for you. It hasn't got anywhere near the grunt of the Multistrada, although I find it smaller and lighter than the 1200 due to the slim profile. The wheels and suspension are designed for off-road. I am also mainly a road rider although plan to do some longer tours on the AT. However it would not have been in my top ten to test ride had it not been for the wonderful DCT.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Horses for courses. Mine is a manual, and after setting up the sag and comp/rebound, it is very sporty on back roads. Is it an R1, no, but I don't want to ride like a banshee either. I also plan to use mine for street only and think it does very well as an all-rounder. Just got the factory panniers and looking forward to putting some better street rubber on it although the 18" rear is a little limiting. Wish they would make a roadie version like Triumph did with the Tiger 800, then it would be darn near perfect for power, comfort and handling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Take a ride on a 2007 Hypermotard 1100S, that is a great bike for spirited street riding and is some 60 kgs lighter.
i would tend to agree. i own a 2008 Hyper S and it sounds exactly like what you describe. i, on the other hand am looking for something to do longer rides on. with no wind protection on the hyper, it wears me out on long rides. around town, it's the bee's knees.

good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why would you look at this bike at all. Better to look at a vfr1200x more of a 80/20 bike. I have a AT DCT and real enjoy it,[I started to ride when I was 3yrs old, 55 yrs ago] it has over 13,000 kms on it now, great dual sport adv bike, and has been park for over 4 months now [winter here] I am suffering from pms [parked motorcycle season] Like derek dus say's not for you. Please let some one else enjoy the AT DCT.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the magazine talked about how nimble the AT vs. KTM Adventure, R1200GS and Multistrada. While when I look and sat on the AT its a large bike. While riding it might not feel so bad, but it is large bike, much larger than Multistrada (none adventure) which I consider large bike. I'm actually thinking about the new Hypermotard SP, or the MV Veloce (I cant believe I even consider this brand). I guess having Triumph Street Triple Rx with 410lbs wet ready to ride spoiled me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Drive mode almost lugs it. S1, 2, or 3 would be better. I pretty much always ride in one of the sport modes. D actually feels kind of cool if you're not trying to accelerate hard-- that low RPM V-Twin feeling (yeah it's a parallel twin, but with the 270 degree crank feels like a 90 degree v-twin).

For all paved road use, hard for me to justify a bike with innertubes and 21" front wheel, though that's actually very common. A guy I tour with is always on a Harley Sportster with both those things. Works for him, paved or dirt roads. He rails on it, but it's a pig compared to the AT.

Forgot to mention--if you're curious to test ride it again, maybe turn traction control down to 1. I think that's required to lift the front wheel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
All the magazine talked about how nimble the AT vs. KTM Adventure, R1200GS and Multistrada. While when I look and sat on the AT its a large bike. While riding it might not feel so bad, but it is large bike, much larger than Multistrada (none adventure) which I consider large bike.
Definitely feels big compared to the Multistrada, though oddly enough I can flat foot the AT, while I couldn't flat foot my Versys, and barely can if at all on my FZ1. Don't remember if I could the Multistrada. Did you put the seat in the low position? It isn't easy to do. Easier when you're used to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Drive mode almost lugs it. S1, 2, or 3 would be better. I pretty much always ride in one of the sport modes. D actually feels kind of cool if you're not trying to accelerate hard-- that low RPM V-Twin feeling (yeah it's a parallel twin, but with the 270 degree crank feels like a 90 degree v-twin).

For all paved road use, hard for me to justify a bike with innertubes and 21" front wheel, though that's actually very common. A guy I tour with is always on a Harley Sportster with both those things. Works for him, paved or dirt roads. He rails on it, but it's a pig compared to the AT.

Forgot to mention--if you're curious to test ride it again, maybe turn traction control down to 1. I think that's required to lift the front wheel.
What is S1, 2, 3? Do you mean dct is S mode and traction control in 1, 2 or 3?

·
Registered
76 Posts
On the ride hand switch block the rocker switch lets you select 'Drive (for when your Nana is on the back) or the 'S modes, that lets you toggle through S1 S2 S3 which cycles on the dash read out.
S3 being the sportier shifting mode.

·
Registered
379 Posts
So while I'm waiting on my 2017 Africa Twin none DCT, I was able to test ride DCT model.
To be honest I was a bit disappointed, not as much from the bike as the bike fit to my purpose. I ride 100% spirited street riding, no off road, no touring or sport touring. The bike is really large (even compared with my previous Multistrada 1200), and not very sporty. I was hoping for peppy off road feel, something like large supermoto, but it feels more dual purpose bike than road ADV (such as the KTM 1190).
I'm not sure if this bike is for me, and im seriously consider withdrawing my deposit.)

If you took the test ride in default D (Dull) mode, that's the problem right there. It's like an economy mode, short shifting all the time. You need to be either in the S modes or in manual. Then you'll have a ton of fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I test drove a manual with ABS model in September in a track day event. I fell in love at the end of the straight...

I traded a 2001 Africa Twin for a 2017 DCT model as 90% of my driving is in gridlocked traffic and my left hand (well both of them) ache after some time riding. The bad part of being over 45...

Anyway, D is useless. S1 is right where I want it in the city. S3 is perfect for a track day. I tried manual mode a couple of times and S3 gets it better than me 90% of the time. In the really slow corners hesitates to go down to 1, but that can be fixed with a tap to the (-) button.

The 2017 feels much lighter than the 2001, even though on paper they weight almost the same. Test ride the DCT again, this time use S1 or S2 modes. You'll be surprised.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think the AT is for you but you do owe it to yourself to take another test ride and use the "S" modes if you did not the first time. My DCT is always in S3 I tried all the modes when I first got the bike but like how it preforms in S3 so that's where it stays. I'm a fairly sporty rider (but not an expert by any means) and I"m not concerned with economy so S3 is for me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know whether the OP used S mode but in reality even in S3 the AT is not a sporty road bike, if that is what he is after there are plenty of bikes with more zip. The AT is pretty docile which is fair enough given the off road focus. I wish Honda did a decent road DCT option but they are either down on power or very heavy. The AT is the best compromise for me even though the engine is nothing to write home about on tarmac.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts