Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone!

Not the best news i just got from my Honda dealer, my tft screen become irresponsive to touch and the solution will be replacing it. has this happen to anyone?
I dont see anything out of the ordinary with the screen it self and it works fine with the button cluster, very strange behaviour.
Hello everyone!

Not the best news i just got from my Honda dealer, my tft screen become irresponsive to touch and the solution will be replacing it. has this happen to anyone?
I dont see anything out of the ordinary with the screen it self and it works fine with the button cluster, very strange behaviour.
Mine started failing similarly at 2k then failed completely. I’m hearing it’s happening frequently 😡😡

·
Registered
4 Posts
Owners could probably improve the vibration reliability of the display electronics by encasing the on board components in RTV. Since it's extremely unlikely that any module level maintenance would ever be done by the dealer, the consequent maintainability issues created are somewhat irrelevant. If I remember correctly, Tourarech used to offer a simular potting service for certain Garmin GPSs. Thermally, if you read the owner's manual carefully, it sounds like Honda is fully aware of the display limitations, as they refer to potential display shutdowns at elevated temperatures in the text.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2020 AT DCT standard, and this spring after the Android Auto update my TFT for the first time came up showing a basic bronze or silver display and empty fuel warning, when bike was full, no response from the keypad on the bars. After a couple re-starts it came back to working again, I thought WTF.
Anyway, my warranty was up June2 purchased it last year. This May I had some strange stalling issues right after starting the bike and going to drive off , twice in one day it died on me, then fired right up and was fine. But because of this I wrote letters to my dealer on May 2 telling them that I was concerned my bike had developed electronics problems at 2500.00 km's. As I'm in Sask Canada the bike was put away in my unheated storage shop from Oct 10 to May 2. After the winter it fired right up on its own battery charge and all. I was very happy as I thought the battery would have gone down on me. Anyway, I'm glad I started the communications with the dealer saying I had issues and my warranty was still active. I was not notified of the extended warranty or anything by my dealer. Were others notified of the extended warranty? Thanks Reg Riemer , Calgary, Alberta, and Turtle Lake , Sask.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
my TFT for the first time came up showing a basic bronze or silver display and empty fuel warning, bike was full, no response from the keypad on the bars. After a couple re-starts it came back to working again,..... I had some strange stalling issues right after starting the bike and going to drive off , twice in one day it died on me, then fired right up and was fine.
Rare TFT goofiness, check.
Rare stalling, check.
Yup, you have an Africa Twin. No known fix for either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Strange thou starts every time just fine after. Battery posts are clean and tight no added stuff except the factory honda grip heaters. Anyway, I'm talking with Honda Canada and my Dealer.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Strange thou starts every time just fine after. Battery posts are clean and tight no added stuff except the factory honda grip heaters. Anyway, I'm talking with Honda Canada and my Dealer.
Glad to read you are in active communication with the Honda dealer.

Some late model Honda cars have the same issue with their TFT interfaces. Sometimes they don't come up and it takes one or two power restarts to activate it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2020 AT DCT standard, and today my TFT for the first time came up showing a basic bronze or silver display and empty fuel warning, bike was full, no response from the keypad on the bars. After a couple re-starts it came back to working again, I thought WTF.
Anyway, my warranty was up June2 purchased it last year. This May I had some strange stalling issues right after starting the bike and going to drive off , twice in one day it died on me, then fired right up and was fine. But because of this I wrote letters to my dealer on May 2 telling them that I was concerned my bike had developed electronics problems at 2500.00 km's. As I'm in Sask Canada the bike was put away in my unheated storage shop from Oct 10 to May 2. After the winter it fired right up on its own battery charge and all. I was very happy as I thought the battery would have gone down on me. Anyway, I'm glad I started the communications with the dealer saying I had issues and my warranty was still active. I was not notified of the extended warranty or anything by my dealer. Were others notified of the extended warranty? Thanks Reg Riemer , Calgary, Alberta, and Turtle Lake , Sask.
My bike has done this several times. Any solution to your situation?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Africa Twin owners. TFT freezing follow up,,, LONG WARNING!

My bike is hundreds of miles away from any dealer, it's up at my Cabin in Northern Saskatchewan so it's not so easy for me to drop everything and go to the cabin and get my AT and bring it back to the dealer 700 kms away. My warranty was up June 4th and in early May I emailed my selling Honda Dealership in Calgary telling them that I was now having trouble with my bike and I wanted to get this down in writing and on the record. They said to bring it in and I explained that I was 700 kms away and did not have a way or time to bring it in till August 2022.

So then on June 10 a month later I called my dealer to see if they had looked into my issue regarding my May email to them about my bikes issues. The dealer said oh yes they did get all my information in May about the problems and that I should just contact Honda Canada Customer Support as now my bike is outside of the first 12 months warranty.

So on June 10, I'm on Holidays back at my cabin, so I called the number the dealer gave me for Honda Canada Customer Service. Once they answered after 10 min of pushing numbers for the department for motorcycles, I explained to the human representative on the other end who by the way did not even know what an Africa Twin was. Moving on I explained about my emails to my selling dealer in Calgary in May well before my year due date with regard to the problems that started with my 11 month old AT. He took my vin number and looked up my bike and then proceeded to tell me that my bike is simply out of warranty and that I should go pound on the sand at my beach as they don't cover problems on their products after the 12 months are up from the sale date. I tried my best to explain to him that I notified the dealer in may and so on and so forth and it was really just me talking on the phone or I guess I was talking to his hand.

Well the next day after I had hung up the phone with Honda Canada's amazing representative, Honda Canada Customer Service sent me an email asking for my valued customer feedback on my experience dealing with them the previous day. Well to be frank, you could just say I pressed the issue a bit further in the survey by flunking them on the survey and in the final comments area at the end I explained a few things to them about how consumers these days are protected by what is called the legal system and I did not leave out explaining what a Lawyer is all about. Well low and behold I got a call back about three days later from a new Human Honda Canada representative, quality manager or something like that, he was doing a follow up to my survey response on my now 13 month old 2020 Honda Africa Twin CRF1100's issues.

Well this representative actually knew what an Africa Twin was, and he sorted out everything in about 20 mins. By sending them the emails I sent to my Dealer at the beginning of May and also explain what the issues are with my bike. They now stated that they would update my file on their system showing that my bike is covered for repair of the electrical system including TFT system.
Wow !
😀

Sorry for the long winded story but my point to this is I hope someone at Honda Japan reads this as this was a very stressful situation to deal with and really still I have not seen anything further saying they are aware of the problem as we know they are as this is why we are talking about this on the Africa Twin forum. Honestly in todays age do these companies think that their customers don't talk to each other, man its not 1970 anymore. I mean crazy that we have to be on here crying about this and getting nothing back from Honda Japan. I purchased a new iPad in January it arrived with an issue, I did an Apple call back request my phone rang and in about 10 min's they said, were very sorry about this, as your new iPad is from a known batch with a production issue in the logic board, we are fully aware of this issue and we will fedex you a new unit via over night delivery as well with a empty box with shipping tag to put the defective one in! Boom Bang Done! iPad arrived in 2 days. That’s customer service man, HONDA?

Anyway, looking back over all the time with my bike now! I think the issue has something to do with the Android Auto update that they released. As last summer I rode my bike 2800 km and I had not one single glitch with it, with the factory software as the bike came. Then this spring I arrived at my cabin, I was in Arizona all winter. Then this May I got back to the Cabin and the AT fired right up in my shop on a battery tender, then this Software update was showing available , oh great I thought new features. Not! I did the steps to do it and it was installed just like the doctor ordered. But then it was after that that I started to have this problem of the screen being generic, no gas in tank no RPM no nothing, sometimes even the bike stalling after first starting off.

So since my first post on this, I have been trying things when riding it to see what might be crashing on the new system. Well it's down to 2 possibilities for me now. If I don't plug in my iPhone, no CarPlay it seems to work flawlessly and or the combo of also not starting the AT till the screen has booted up to my current drive mode screen. Problem will happen without reliability if I just start the AT right after turning the key on and TFT is still booting.

I really just wish Honda Japan would get with the dealers and send a recall notice saying that we are aware of the software bug with the v2 Android software and just be honest. I honestly went into this like a dog and pony show method. Usual statements like I have had from GM, and Ford on vehicles,, oh, not sure what's wrong with your ride as no one else has any issues, not sure what your doing wrong etc. Honda Canada came in good at the end though after I left them blazing feedback after my first call in when my dealer passed the buck to them.

Anyway, that said, the bike really is something fantastic, this glitch is a software issue for sure and its triggered due to CarPlay Android phone connections, etc, and also starting the bike before TFT is booted. Some kind of hand shake issues, simple. COME ON HONDA JAPAN LETS OWN UP TO THIS!!! such a tiny issue with our gorgeous bikes! I have read of touch issues with the TFT and I know nothing of that issue with mine, I have really never touched it as it's dusty up where I ride. I have never ridden mine in the rain even, never any mud etc.

I will keep posting on what I find out, I have finally an appointment to take it back to my Dealer and have it "LOOKED AT" not sure what they are going to look at actually as there is no codes and it probably won't screw up when I take it in, its one of those deals. I have movies and photos though.

Maybe we should start a new thread called "Honda Japan Please read and Help" Only people with the issue should post on there with the vin# registry etc, then we will get some attention to this as right now they are passing the buck around all over the place.

All the best guys.

Reg Reimer

P.S. PM me if you like anyone. Also in the picture below, the clock shows 10:53 Am when actually it was 3:45 pm mountain time.
😵‍💫

Product Rectangle Font Audio equipment Gas

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine does this. It’s a new 2021. Just hit 1,800 miles and has randomly don’t this since mile
Zero. I have owned it for a month now. It will do it with no phone hooked up or not even starting the bike. Your probable android or starting before tft is loaded does not explain mine.
Gadget Font Display device Audio equipment Sports equipment

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine does this. It’s a new 2021. Just hit 1,800 miles and has randomly don’t this since mile
Zero. I have owned it for a month now. It will do it with no phone hooked up or not even starting the bike. Your probable android or starting before tft is loaded does not explain mine. View attachment 73597
Okay, well that’s good to know actually! I’m sorry to hear that man! What model Africa twin is yours? Where are you located? Does yours have the android software by 2021 is probably factory installed? I guess we should check our software numbers as well.

We need to start filling out the problem post I started yesterday with vin registry with screen picture and what model of Africa Twin Adventure sports or standard model, DCT or manual transmission.

Once we start to register this problem for Honda They can see that it’s not just imaginary!

Or maybe the administrators wanna do it a different way with some other kind of method they should chime in here.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,005 Posts
I very rarely use the touch part of my screen but I tried a few days ago and no response, same today. It did work previously but I recently put on a different screen saver so I will have to pull that off to make sure it is not that. Tried but couldn't manage, nails not long enough :D
Will try and cut a bit of thin plastic to see if I can get it removed for testing.
No problems with the info on the screen being missing so....

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,005 Posts
Just got the screen protector removed and still not working so looks like a call to the dealers on Tuesday is required :D
Also removed the USB just to make sure it wasn't the android auto being an issue.
Tried doing a screen calibration but it wouldn't respond to that either so...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just got the screen protector removed and still not working so looks like a call to the dealers on Tuesday is required :D
Also removed the USB just to make sure it wasn't the android auto being an issue.
Tried doing a screen calibration but it wouldn't respond to that either so...
Let me know what they say. My touch screen works fine. Just the random blank bronze screen.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts