Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am giving serious thought to replacing the stock rear shock on my 2018 AT DCT with a TFX shock. Do any of you have a TFX shock on your AT and if so how do you like it? Any pictures of it mounted would be really appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
303 Posts
Looking at their online shop it seems that they don't produce anything for the 2018 AT, just for the 16-17 version. I'm trying to decide for the same upgrade and it looks pretty common among the suspension producers to have a shock model for the first version of our bike and then "forget" to update the shock for the different mounting position of the reservoir or preload knob on our year's model (18-19).
Currently I've found that only Ohlins and Wilbers are doing something specific for the 18-19 model AT. Unfortunately both of them decided to drop the knob of the hydraulic preload: they now require a hex socket wrench to operate, pretty annoying if you have to change frequently the preload.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Ohlins on my ATAS is easy enough to adjust with a short extension on the the socket wrench. I prefer it over having a preload knob bolted to the side of the bike actually.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Ohlins on my ATAS is easy enough to adjust with a short extension on the the socket wrench. I prefer it over having a preload knob bolted to the side of the bike actually.
Would you be so kind to share some images of the Ohlins (model HO648, if I recall) mounted on the ATAS? I could not be find any images on the net! TIA

·
Registered
303 Posts
I contacted TFX in Holland about the shock options for a 2018 AT Standard and got this answer:

"Thank you for your email and your interest in our products.
Yes we also have shock absorbers for the 2018 model.
We have for your motorcycles 2 different shock absorbers.
All our shock absorbers are custom made and adjusted to your weight, driving style and personal specifications.
They are also build with a modular system which allows us to change all parts when needed.
They have 5 year warranty for recreational use.

Model 1: (Not suitable for OFF Road) Price €509 incl. 21% VAT
The 140 TFX mono shock is our entry level shock absorber it has a single tube which is gas-charged. It comes with our without an internal floating piston.
This shock absorber comes with the same technology as the more complex versions.
The difference is that here we leave out the compression reservoir and thus the options for adjusting high- and low-speed compression.
This shock absorber has the strength, durability and performance for recreational use or long distance touring.
It has an adjustable rebound damping which offers superior quality and stiffens both compression and rebound simultaneously.
With 2 preload adjustment rings you can add more or less preload to your spring depending if you are driving alone or with a passenger or luggage.

Model 2: Price €899 incl. 21% VAT
The 142 TFX mono shock is a single tube shock with aq remote fluid reservoir.
This shock absorber is for the rider who wants high performance durability, control and refined tuning options.
It doesn’t matter if you use it for recreational, long distance or racing purpose, this shock has it all.
The upper mount consists of all full CNC milled aluminium 7075 part.
It serves as a connection to the compression tank and houses the setup screws for the high- and low-speed compression adjustment.

Option: Price €319 incl. 21% VAT
Hydraulic preload adjuster (HPA).

All prices are excl. transport.

Technical info:
Tube 46 mm | Piston 46 mm
Remote reservoir, made from high-strength aluminum connected to the shock with a hose
Oversized 16mm high-strength shaft
Low-friction seal with integrated Teflon back-up
Aluminum 6082 T6 shock body
Threaded spring preload
Adjustable rebound damping 40 clicks
Adjustable high-speed and low-speed compression damping 32 click each
Rider height adjuster (depending on model)
Available in range of spring rates to match the rider weight requirements"

I also got a couple of images of the TFX142 model mounted on a Standard 2018/19 (see attached images). If the HPA option is not present, they will provide the wrench to adjust the preload.

IMG_1188.jpg IMG_1191.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts