Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Thanks for the ad, still maybe I have buyers remorse...

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr Biker 
#1 ·
Bought the ATAS DCT and now wondering if I shoudn't have bought the manual. DCT just doesn't have the jump I'm used to from my other GSs (granted bigger engine though my F800 GS (even in manual mode) was quicker and handled better. Also having a heck of time getting the suspension where I want it -- too soft. After already dropping ~$1000n on Outback Mototec Bars and skid plate, Alt Rider luggage rack, Clearwater running lights, etc., think I may have to invest in a professional suspension set up guru to help me fathom the black art of set up. ATLAS has 4000 mi on it so far. I'm 190-200 lbs in my riding gear and 6 ft. Pretty average size.

Anyone else have similar issues? TIA

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I had my ATAS DCT 3 days and tried to exchange it for a manual. I now have 10,000 miles on my DCT and I'm still learning how to fully use its advantages. It is better than manual but it has a longer learning curve than you think it would. I beat an ST1300 in a short drag race using the DCT this past weekend. Learn the bike and learn the advantages.

#7 ·
I can't comment on the DCT.

The ATAS has stiffer fork tubes, and better inner fork/bushing design. It
shouldn't suffer from the same fate as the 16 17 fork tubes. It's **** likely the regular 18 tubes will wear too.

The valving is poor on the forks, I doubt the ATAS is sorted. Ditto with the shock.
Before throwing money at suspension, set your sag, and go ride a same bit of road. Set your compression as per factory, and tune the front with rebound to get the setting you want.

Suspension is the failing point on the AT.
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2018/10/06/2017-honda-crf-1000-africa-twin-fork-inspection/

#9 ·
Had many a sleepless night wondering If I should have bought a DCT, but the simplicity of the manual really is key for me and with so many DCT bikes being bought with anniversary colours I think will make the manual a bit scarce.
My manual box seems to be improving with every mile and my fuelling seems to be spot on , maybe to ad a dct to the fleet and keep the manual to get the best of both worlds maybe..

#10 ·
Since the ATAS does not have a 'Sport' mode per se, I assume you mean setting the Power delivery, Engine Braking and Tourque settings accordingly. Running it in full manual in User mode really does help the acceleration, though the more I play with dialing in the suspension the more my confidence grows.

One thing I've learned from fiddling is to add a good amount of prelode if you're 170 lbs or more and ride with luggage. Take the time to set up the sag to you're weight and allowing for the farkles you add to the bike -- in my case heavy duty crash bars, skid plate, luggage, etc.

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Learning to love the beast.

#11 · (Edited)
Since the ATAS does not have a 'Sport' mode per se, I assume you mean setting the Power delivery, Engine Braking and Tourque settings accordingly.
No no it does have a Sport Mode,follow these steps......

Start your bike in the normal way and have it ticking over in nuetral,now put the engine into gear as you would normally do by pressing the "D-S" (Drive - Sport) button,it's now in "D" (Drive) mode and a "D" will be displayed on the dash.
Now press the exact same "D-S" button again and you'll see that the "D" on the dash has now changed to a smaller "S" now the bike is in "Sport" mode and you have 3 levels of power to choose from,now here's the important bit.................

HOLDING DOWN the "D-S" button now will allow you to select between 3 levels of power delivery,three bars displayed on the dash is the most aggressive and one bar displayed is the least aggressive.

I hope this helps.

:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.