Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello again. My research on this potential throttle issue on the AT has produced - from forums only - 10 firsthand accounts (it happened to me), 2 hearsay accounts (friend or friend of a friend) and 2 possibles (not clear that the incident was throttle related).

Yesterday this was posted on DeauvilleUK.org

Screenshot 2020-06-02 01.32.42.png

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for posting your harvest Steeplechasing.

I haven't had a recurrence, but I am still mindful. I would be interested in metrics that involve which riding mode people are in during such instances. That is, Drive, Sport, Gravel, or Manual. It is possible this could be an issue for standard clutch-gearbox, but goes unreported because most people might just disengage the clutch, maybe raise an eyebrow, and then move on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
DT, one case I found was a manual transmission on a 2016 bike, new. Honda replaced the bike. Rider did not have the confidence to ride it again and sold it. The post from the instructor echoes almost verbatim the report I had from the ex Honda manager, in that nobody at Honda will discuss the problem openly but they know it's there. I'd be really surprised if nobody has been seriously injured or killed. Sadly with the latter, there is no rider report as to what went wrong. I was in Drive mode for mine.

Yours and mine happened on a slope. I've messaged some of the others asking if they too were on a slope at the time. I'll update when I have something new.

Best wishes
Joe

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
DT, one case I found was a manual transmission on a 2016 bike, new. Honda replaced the bike. Rider did not have the confidence to ride it again and sold it. The post from the instructor echoes almost verbatim the report I had from the ex Honda manager, in that nobody at Honda will discuss the problem openly but they know it's there. I'd be really surprised if nobody has been seriously injured or killed. Sadly with the latter, there is no rider report as to what went wrong. I was in Drive mode for mine.

Yours and mine happened on a slope. I've messaged some of the others asking if they too were on a slope at the time. I'll update when I have something new.

Best wishes
Joe
Right - I recall that post. Thanks Joe.

Hmm, yeah, slopes. Mine was on a slight decline, but I do that all the time. We as Forum members do that all the time.

Really hard to pinpoint with no reproducer. That said, I hazard to speculate that there is some sort of [firmware?] race condition regarding to how to manage throttle input and the internal state "between gear" shifts.

An end user is highly unlikely to begin to understand what to do. This is the way we are all generally going as technology takes more control away from humans, and arguably puts that logic in the hands of artificial intelligence and/or the programmer. The only saving grace may be the hand clutch (where available) to override any decision made by the computer. Can you imagine a "ride-by-wire" clutch?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Indeed, DT. Well I'm going back to cables. On Thursday I take delivery of a 2009 NT700 Deauville. A nice, quiet, unassuming and hopefully peaceful old bike.

I'll continue with updates on my AT.

Safe riding

Joe

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Indeed, DT. Well I'm going back to cables. On Thursday I take delivery of a 2009 NT700 Deauville. A nice, quiet, unassuming and hopefully peaceful old bike.

I'll continue with updates on my AT.

Safe riding

Joe
Heh, ... who knows? At this rate we may be going back to steam-driven. lol

41 - 46 of 46 Posts