Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a VERY near miss this morn, impatient fool pulled out into my right turn lane to jump ahead and cut back into his left turn lane.
I literally scraped his fender with my brush guard while riding in the gutter and braking at the same time.
I slipped past, and stayed upright with no damage, but my heart was pounding!
To his credit, he stopped to see if I was alright, so I couldn't stay mad at him, not that that would help anyway.
Mind you, I was lit up like a Xmas tree, with Neon helmet and vest to boot.
People just can't use their mirrors, and don't turn their heads.
My souvenir is his Pearl white paint on my brush guard, guess he should be more careful with his pretty Avalanche!
I couldn't believe I didn't end up on the sidewalk and stayed upright, I bounced off the gutter pretty hard.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gad you’re okay and only minor damage. Give the guy credit for stopping to see if you were okay, and I tip my hat to you as well for not decking him square on the chin. I’m not sure I would’ve had the same restraint.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wait until the autonomous cars become the norm. The end will soon be near for all street legal motorcycles in this country once the auto pilots take over.

As a long time member of the AMA here in the states I urge every rider to join in the fight for the rights to share the road.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You might try a Kisan PathBlazer from just down I-25 in Colorado Springs. I have had them on all of my Goldwings/Road Bikes, and just installed one last weekend on my ATAS, and it works flawlessly. They do not yet show it on their website as mine was the test-bed for the connectors, but email or call Andy and he will know what you need. I could not begin to count the times over the years that someone started to move in front of me and then saw the modulating headlight and jerked back. On the downside, I have had few complain because they think I am an emergency vehicle and they pull over, but they are legal in all states and DC, with NHTSA actually prohibiting the states from making the modulators illegal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Than all! And ****, I had it in my Ghost -S camera, and accidently deleted it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You might try a Kisan PathBlazer from just down I-25 in Colorado Springs...
I feel like many drivers in oncoming situations may confuse the modulated headlight for a "high-beam flick" intended to signal the rider giving up the right of way, and thus increase the incidence of cars making left turns in front of bikes. Is this not an issue for you?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not at all. The modulation is continuous and no reasoning person would think that someone is continuously flicking the high beam. Do some think I am an emergency vehicle? Clearly, as they pull off to the side of the road. I was discussing this phenomenon with a OHP liaison to our Governors Advisory Committee on MC Safety and his response was that if they did not know the difference between a bright yellow Goldwing with a modulating headlight and a Motor with Red and Blue Emergency lights, maybe they need to pull over. Others think it is a malfunction and try to let me know that it is flickering. I did have one guy in a jacked-up pickup who followed me to my office and asked "whats the deal with the flashing light?" I explained what it was a device for conspicuity so that traffic will see me. His retort was that it was irritating (he was one that pulled over the the shoulder), and I responded, "sorry about that, but you did see me". So, Meh, (can a 70-year-old use such a millennial term) at least I am alive and in one piece.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not at all. The modulation is continuous and no reasoning person would think that someone is continuously flicking the high beam. Do some think I am an emergency vehicle? Clearly, as they pull off to the side of the road. I was discussing this phenomenon with a OHP liaison to our Governors Advisory Committee on MC Safety and his response was that if they did not know the difference between a bright yellow Goldwing with a modulating headlight and a Motor with Red and Blue Emergency lights, maybe they need to pull over. Others think it is a malfunction and try to let me know that it is flickering. I did have one guy in a jacked-up pickup who followed me to my office and asked "whats the deal with the flashing light?" I explained what it was a device for conspicuity so that traffic will see me. His retort was that it was irritating (he was one that pulled over the the shoulder), and I responded, "sorry about that, but you did see me". So, Meh, (can a 70-year-old use such a millennial term) at least I am alive and in one piece.
And there you have it. He was sitting pretty in his cage, whilst you're exposed to several hazards, mostly from cagers such as he, so his irritation is secondary to the overall safety of the public at large, and especially you.
Hey, if more people drove defensively, you wouldn't have to invest time and money to stay safe, right?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get a loud horn!!!
They work great and educate the car drivers. So you achieve two very good actions: Save your life and make a car driver a better person.
Believe me!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
They work great and educate the car drivers. So you achieve two very good actions: Save your life and make a car driver a better person.
I have a Denali Soundbomb. It probably does educate car drivers, but I have also found that since installing it, I tend to use it to influence car behavior rather than always taking the safe action myself.

For example, if I see a car acting potentially wonky as it heads towards an intersection, I'll honk rather than slowing right down so that — whether the car reacts to the horn or not — I am able to control the outcome. That's not the safest way to ride and I need to do better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a Denali Soundbomb. It probably does educate car drivers, but I have also found that since installing it, I tend to use it to influence car behavior rather than always taking the safe action myself.

For example, if I see a car acting potentially wonky as it heads towards an intersection, I'll honk rather than slowing right down so that — whether the car reacts to the horn or not — I am able to control the outcome. That's not the safest way to ride and I need to do better.
We have to do our part in safety riding.
You will never regret to extreme precaution in an intersection. Loud horn helps but is not infallible. We need to help God in taking care of ourselves!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts