Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my first overnight trip of the year. It was the 'dirty' version of the Duffy Loop I posted a week or so ago. About 350km of WFO to challenging technical dirt ascents and descents that parallels Hwy 1 and 12 from Boston Bar to Lillooet on the opposite side of the Fraser River. From Lillooet, slab over the Duffy Lake Road and Cayoosh Pass, back down to a gravel for a night camping on Lillooet Lake. From camp it was 180km of smooth to challenging technical dirt down the Lillooet River and Harrison Lake to The Sasquatch Inn. Slab home. A few sections pushed the limits of my skill on a big fully loaded bike, but kept the rubber side down.

20210405_192004.jpg

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Brother, you are soooo lucky to have that terrain. Thanks for the pictures.
Thanks man. I will admit, there are moments when I wish the terrain wasn't so aggressive and remote. About the tenth of fifteenth time in a day that you find yourself on a hairpin corner with a 20% grade and nothing but loose, sharp rocks to call a road, a vertical cliff to one side and an unstable rock slope to the other, you start to go a bit mad. The feeling passes quickly though. The riding is flat out fun and the epic views are neverending. So many mountains, rivers, valleys and logging activity that roads can go from a breeze to abject misery without warning. Definitely have to be prepared for anything if you want to connect the dots.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS Manual
209 Posts
Nice pics as usual!! That’s such a beautiful ride. I wanna do it again.

Last summer we rode Sasq Inn to Pemberton up the west side of Harrison, then slabbed it to Lillooet on the Duffy as the Highline was closed...(would have made for a very long day) but my usual partner is a glutton for punishment and I often seem to get it right along with him...LOL!

I think my favourite part was the next day Lillooet to Boston Bar on Texas Creek Rd and such. Basically same route you did just in reverse. Was a lot of fun.

If you ever feel inclined to find the fire lookout above Boston Bar / North Bend...don’t go on a big bike. Jus sayin......you may or may not eat dirt & big rocks and nearly die of thirst in 100+deg heat. It really sucks picking up your bike multiple times on a better than 45 deg slope.

YMMV...however I won’t try that again until I get smaller bike. :-/

This is the same area as your #8 pic above just a little further south on that same landing just where you would have started to climb back up. We were northbound on that trip and descended into the landing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice pics as usual!! That’s such a beautiful ride. I wanna do it again.

Last summer we rode Sasq Inn to Pemberton up the west side of Harrison, then slabbed it to Lillooet on the Duffy as the Highline was closed...(would have made for a very long day) but my usual partner is a glutton for punishment and I often seem to get it right along with him...LOL!

I think my favourite part was the next day Lillooet to Boston Bar on Texas Creek Rd and such. Basically same route you did just in reverse. Was a lot of fun. If you ever feel inclined to find the fire lookout above Boston Bar / North Bend...don’t go on a big bike. Jus sayin......you may or may not eat dirt & big rocks and nearly die of thirst in 100+deg heat. It really sucks picking up your bike multiple times on a better than 45 deg slope.

YMMV...however I won’t go back until I get smaller bike again. :-/
This is the same area as your #8 pic above just a little further south on that same landing just before you start to climb back up. We were northbound on that trip.
View attachment 61938
I've done that fire lookout on my KLR, but even that was brutal. I'm pretty sure some of the powerline area of the Boston Bar to Lytton stretch is about as far as I enjoy pushing this bike fully loaded. Between the sheer drops and rock surfaces, things could get serious quickly.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS Manual
209 Posts
We were very lightly loaded that trip as you can see. Stayed in Lillooet at a motel for the night. I can understand your trepidation...LOL!

I applaud your guts for going that one alone too. I wouldn’t be very comfy doing that one solo.

·
Registered
2018 AT Manual Clutch
47 Posts
Thanks man. I will admit, there are moments when I wish the terrain wasn't so aggressive and remote. About the tenth of fifteenth time in a day that you find yourself on a hairpin corner with a 20% grade and nothing but loose, sharp rocks to call a road, a vertical cliff to one side and an unstable rock slope to the other, you start to go a bit mad. The feeling passes quickly though. The riding is flat out fun and the epic views are neverending. So many mountains, rivers, valleys and logging activity that roads can go from a breeze to abject misery without warning. Definitely have to be prepared for anything if you want to connect the dots.
Great insight, I would still enjoy the challenge.

·
Registered
2021 African Twin, Adventure Sports ES, DCT
35 Posts
Just finished my first overnight trip of the year. It was the 'dirty' version of the Duffy Loop I posted a week or so ago. About 350km of WFO to challenging technical dirt ascents and descents that parallels Hwy 1 and 12 from Boston Bar to Lillooet on the opposite side of the Fraser River. From Lillooet, slab over the Duffy Lake Road and Cayoosh Pass, back down to a gravel for a night camping on Lillooet Lake. From camp it was 180km of smooth to challenging technical dirt down the Lillooet River and Harrison Lake to The Sasquatch Inn. Slab home. A few sections pushed the limits of my skill on a big fully loaded bike, but kept the rubber side down.

View attachment 61928
View attachment 61929 View attachment 61930 View attachment 61931 View attachment 61932 View attachment 61933 View attachment 61934 View attachment 61935 View attachment 61936
View attachment 61937
Great scenery up there! Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
53 Posts

View attachment 61928
View attachment 61929 View attachment 61930 View attachment 61931 View attachment 61932 View attachment 61933 View attachment 61934 View attachment 61935 View attachment 61936
View attachment 61937
Magnificent Canada, gotta get there one day.....great showcase 👍

·
Registered
36 Posts

View attachment 61928
View attachment 61937

·
Registered
941 Posts
Can you share a Google Map of your route?
I've been up through Pemberton Meadows Rd and over the Hurley Forestry Road to Gun Lake which is nearby.
I'd like to go back and follow your route for some of these details.
Good photos!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been up through Pemberton Meadows Rd and over the Hurley Forestry Road to Gun Lake which is nearby.
Good photos!
Thanks man!

If you DM me your email I can share the route. It isn't really usable as a screenshot.

The Hurley and Highline are great areas to explore, but currently still above the snow line. I'll be up there soon enough.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Good photos!
My wife pointed out that I am indeed an idiot and that you can share the text link anywhere. Who knew?

If you have a few nights, Nahatlatch lake near Boston Bar is incredible and the spur towards Lytton is on that main. You can add another night by doing the Carpenter Lake to Gold Bridge and Bralorne or Seton Portage to Pemberton, then hook back to Lillooet lake just outside Pemby to continue down the In-Shuk/West Lillooet/West Harrison.

Vancouver to Sasquatch Inn

·
Registered
941 Posts
Reactions: TwinWrangler
1 - 18 of 18 Posts