Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed to death and I have really tried to read as many post as possible.

i have a 2020 North American version adventure and I have mounted a pair of spots on the crash bars. Now is the million dollar question where and how to wire these to?
I have found the spot connectors in the fairing which don’t do anything.
this I question is to the NA fellow riders , how have you connected your spots ? Please could you post pics of the wiring you used and how and where you connected the lights to. Also please let
me know if your spots are on the bright lights or running lights.
I am trying to find a wiring diagram as it would be nice to use the factory wiring even if we can’t
activate main computer .

As a matter of interest , if anyone has bridged the wiring in it be back, does it not change anything on the dash ? Does it show the spots but just not have the ability to send power to the connectors in the cowl ?

could It be possible that the wiring is not connected in the fuse panel?

sorry for beating a dead horse but I’m just trying to understand.

thanks

Heli

·
Registered
186 Posts
Search. Use the Search function. You will find many threads about this topic.
All your questions has been answered already.
Some members may chime in, and help. But really it is a matter of the OP do a little homework and search and have hours and hours of reading and investigate on the topic.

Personally, I am waiting for the Ezcan or Denali Cansmart solution to hit the stores.
That will be the solution for all your needs regarding lighting and accessories.

Regards.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know this has been discussed to death and I have really tried to read as many post as possible.

i have a 2020 North American version adventure and I have mounted a pair of spots on the crash bars. Now is the million dollar question where and how to wire these to?
I have found the spot connectors in the fairing which don’t do anything.
this I question is to the NA fellow riders , how have you connected your spots ? Please could you post pics of the wiring you used and how and where you connected the lights to. Also please let
me know if your spots are on the bright lights or running lights.
I am trying to find a wiring diagram as it would be nice to use the factory wiring even if we can’t
activate main computer .

As a matter of interest , if anyone has bridged the wiring in it be back, does it not change anything on the dash ? Does it show the spots but just not have the ability to send power to the connectors in the cowl ?

could It be possible that the wiring is not connected in the fuse panel?

sorry for beating a dead horse but I’m just trying to understand.

thanks

Heli
Yeah the one thing the NA version sucks for, but I think the ones that work are low wattage anyway so I'd want more power.
Didn't you get a harness with your spots?
I'm planning to add Squadron Pros but not triggered on the high-beams in case I want to run them with the amber lenses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did get a harness but it’s is irritating me to run more wires when they are run. I would prefer the lights to work with the bike. Not separate.
i am surprised none has managed to get the European program and installed it on a NA bike. That we know of.
viper ,I have read so many and that’s what I said but I’m hoping someone recently finds something.
There are exceptionally talented bikers out there .
I am busy trying to get a NA manual and try determine the wiring schematic which could help.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
407 Posts
I have a 2019 ATAS so I am not much help. But from what I have read, and I was trying yesterday to find the post but I couldn't, the 2020 and later models require you to use a "jumper" to enable the OEM switch.

I think everything should be wired up already and all you need to do once connected to the OEM harness at the front is "jump it out to enable them"???🤷‍♂️

Take a look in the "What did you do today?" post, I think I recall someone doing a mini write up about it in there with some Alibaba lights on a 2021.

If not hopefully someone will chime in and link their post for you... in the meantime good luck. (y)

Reactions: Sled

·
Registered
186 Posts
i am surprised none has managed to get the European program and installed it on a NA bike.
The European program for the BCM also comes with H.I.S.S. Honda Integrated Security System. Or Immobilizer.
then....... you solve the lights problem, but creates the Inmo problem, where the BCM is looking for Key Antenna, Key transponder Signal, and all the protocol to authorize engine start.
Besides the Engine Ecu also have to receive the OK to start.

Then...... Back to square 1. 😕

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They really did a number on this. Thanks for the update. Would be nice if it was like a pick and choose menu. 😆

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it's time for some kind of Mega-Guide thread on the topic, I myself also ran into some issues figuring this whole thing out (on an Euro bike).
A bunch of folks here figured out individual pieces but right now they're scattered over a bunch of comments in a bunch of threads.

If you don't want to put vampire clips onto your OEM harness as example it's going to be hard to get AUX lights to work with the high beam on the original headlight unit. I've also seen some wiring schematics for the 1100 but they were in abysmal quality and various other hurdles on the subject.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This has got to be some kind of USA regulation issue that we can't have the FN button activate the Fog light circuit.

In the past I've just relayed the lights off the high beam and used them in conjunction with high beams. Those lights were not OK for use with the log beams in the first place and I had them for country roads and deer without other driver's to blind. If I want low beam use I guess just wire them as always on and use some 700-800 lumen models. They take ages to burn out anyway with modern LED lights and use barely any electricity.

I always wire in a switch incase I want them off for some reason as well. It would have been nice for that switch to be integrated.

How many of you feel like you need fog lights on this bike? With the cornering lights the ATAS seems to be alright without them. In Moose country it would be nice to have some 2-3000 lumen aux lights in conjunction with the high beam but that can be wired up as above.

·
Premium Member
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
251 Posts
I think, as many have said before in this thread, that those lights are integrated into Honda's HISS system, which includes the anti-theft device required (I think) in countries like the UK; bike theft is a near catastrophic problem there. It would appear that there is an entire sub-system that is not included in the NA bikes, so therefore... we can't have the lights controlled as nicely as they do in European countries.

Pity.

Reactions: ViperTech18

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think, as many have said before in this thread, that those lights are integrated into Honda's HISS system, which includes the anti-theft device required (I think) in countries like the UK; bike theft is a near catastrophic problem there. It would appear that there is an entire sub-system that is not included in the NA bikes, so therefore... we can't have the lights controlled as nicely as they do in European countries.

Pity.
That is unfortunate. I do wonder if finding a sensor that triggers the auto high beams is possible and using in conjunction with fog lights. The worst part about them is flipping them on and off constantly. That's not as bad relayed to the high beam switch, but you still have to manually cycle that switch constantly. It would be nice to have it automated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I personally like to be visible while riding. The extra spots make you look bigger to vehicles coming towards you. If people see you better , than hopefully no casualties.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been doing a lot of reading. removing Pieces off the Bike and tracing wiring. I know most has been said already but it’s winter , what else is there to do.
I will post this under another spot light topic as well but we know the wire from the factory two light locations stop a the left front side cowl. It’s should go to pin 9 of the Body control system.
Has anyone actually tried to take a wire off pin 9, give it some load and short the pins on the red connector in the rear ?
I wonder if the system would see this??
just thinking out loud.
besides winter, I wanted to try use as much factory wiring as possible And having the function switch would just be the cherry on the top.

Heli

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the euro bikes have the functionality enabled from factory.
Is the American bikes which does not have the option.
My problem comes with the fact that I want to run two different intensities on non-OEM aux lights. That'd mean I'd have to fetch another 12V line from somewhere.
I also have a Hella bar that has a DRL LED-strip in it while having a second component that is a long throw beam; I'd like to have the DRL on and only trigger the long throw with high beam.

From what I gathered the two accessory connections in each of the side fairings only supply 12V and they only have two cables coming into the plug. I also saw some schematic of the BodyControl thingamajig and that doesn't appear to be tied to the high beam in any way.

·
Premium Member
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
251 Posts
I've followed a lot of this with my complete inability to do electrical. I have decided that for me, being clearly incapable of using the factory light switch, I will be satisfied with having LED lights for conspicuity, rather than the ability to (and attached obsession with) control via the onboard switchgear.

Bike on - lights on. Bike off, lights off. I'm hoping to install the E-Z Can, and doubly hopeful that this will allow the lights to come on a few seconds after the bike's ignition. Just because I think that's cool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a question the EU models.

When you activated the spots on the screen . Did you connect the lights and then bridge the red connector or can you bridge the red connector and activate it before you even install the lights. I am trying to find out if the system needs a load on the circuit before it will register .
I hope this makes sense

Thanks

Heli

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
514 Posts
Here's a question the EU models.

When you activated the spots on the screen . Did you connect the lights and then bridge the red connector or can you bridge the red connector and activate it before you even install the lights. I am trying to find out if the system needs a load on the circuit before it will register .
I hope this makes sense

Thanks

Heli
I put the lights on then linked the wires to activate so can't say for sure that it needs to see the load. I think however it does because when I did it I do not recall seeing the heated grips option for enabling. When I later got the heated grips and fitted them/linked wire the option was there for them.

I also seem to remember someone here trying to enable the option but couldn't but then he never had the lights wired up but don't recall if there was an update on the thread, I will try and search and see if I can find it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts