Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I'm not an expert but those grooves look severe. I wonder if the piston broke a ring or something. Is it the same on both pistons? Can these engines be machined and cylinder walls sleeved or do you just have to replace the cylinders?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Depending on how deep the grooves are, cylinders could be repaired like at Millennium Technologies in US and Honda has + 0.25 pistons and rings available for CRF1000 at least, if necessary. Certainly cheaper than new crankcases but definitely not an inexpensive rebuild.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
743 Posts
Must of been a Monday hangover bike. I’m hoping it’s under warranty. Good pics and a good shop it looks like. Hope they take care of you.

·
Super Moderator
9,681 Posts
Depending on how deep the grooves are, cylinders could be repaired like at Millennium Technologies in US and Honda has + 0.25 pistons and rings available for CRF1000 at least, if necessary. Certainly cheaper than new crankcases but definitely not an inexpensive rebuild.
I wonder how one rescues ceramic-treated cylinders after a boring job?

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
743 Posts
R & R. Remove and replace at any cost. Welcome to 2022

·
Registered
545 Posts
Is this a CRF1000 or CRF1100? The cylinders are different designs. The CRF1000 has a steel liner bore and the CRF1100 is a hard coated bore similar to Nikasil. The cylinder scouring looks like a typical over heating situation where the piston outgrows the cylinder or a low oil partial seizure. If not under warranty and it is a CRF1000 it can easily be bored if oversize pistons are available. It looks like a .25 mm overbore will clean this up. I have a cylinder boring machine and have bored thousands of motorcycle cylinders over the last 40 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not an expert but those grooves look severe. I wonder if the piston broke a ring or something. Is it the same on both pistons? Can these engines be machined and cylinder walls sleeved or do you just have to replace the cylinders?
The motor is running, just eating oil. It is not yet known what the officers will do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this a CRF1000 or CRF1100? The cylinders are different designs. The CRF1000 has a steel liner bore and the CRF1100 is a hard coated bore similar to Nikasil. The cylinder scouring looks like a typical over heating situation where the piston outgrows the cylinder or a low oil partial seizure. If not under warranty and it is a CRF1000 it can easily be bored if oversize pistons are available. It looks like a .25 mm overbore will clean this up. I have a cylinder boring machine and have bored thousands of motorcycle cylinders over the last 40 years.
Honda CRF 1100 2021

1 - 20 of 60 Posts