Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few minutes in the garage today, so accomplished a few things on the Farkle list:

1. Touratech's bridged 20mm risers. Easy install with no drama.

I did an 80 mile dirt road ride with some new friends up around Bloody Basin, north of Phoenix a week or so ago. The road was "interesting" enough in some places that I was standing most of the time. That is when I decided that just a little lift of the bars would be nice. (FYI, I'm about 5' 6" on a good day.) I guess I didn't need them, like all you tall guys, but I decided I might like them. So far, feels dialed in to perfection.

2. Decided to get Sag dialed in. Recruited Dear Wife into measuring suspension drop from no load to me sitting on the bike with some gear. I had the preload backed almost all the way out, maybe 30 clicks, in an effort to get my short little legs to reach the ground. Sag was at about 44%, and I believe was causing some interesting quirks when cornering. I am now quite a bit more comfortable on the bike, so decided to get the sag right, **** the torpedos. The amazing thing was that I had to crank it all the way in to get to 30% sag. I weigh about 170, plus gear, plus all the stuff I have hung on the bike (Heed Bunker Bars, BDCW Crash plate, center stand, better side stand (Camel Pro Camel Toe), Touratech rack, Kreiga Bags, and my brand new spiffy top-case.) Looking at that, I guess I should not have been too surprised. I expect a new rear spring is in my future...

3. So I love my Kreiga bags, but I have been wanting something quick access, like a tank bag, but not a tank bag. Have had them before, and may give in again, but not yet. Had an enormous brain fart, and decided that my old Haliburton Zero brief-case, from when I was a cool young executive carrying 5 1/4" floppy disks of very import information around, would be just about perfect.

Have not felt the need to haul a brief-case around since I got my first laptop in the '90s. It has been retired to hauling the occaisional pistola around out to the range, while still looking exceptionally cool. Well, now it has some holes drilled in one side that match the pattern on the cheesy plastic rear rack that comes on our lovely bikes. The case is pretty light, and about 3 1/2" thick, so not a lot of temptation to load it up with heavy stuff on the poor little rack.

I mounted it backwards (when compared to most top cases) so it essentially has a suicide lid. I thought it might be nice to be able to stop, put a side stand down, and turnaround and grab lunch or something. Still has it's "o" ring seal around the perimeter, so should be weather tight.

Picked up four stainless M8 x 1.25 allen head cap screws, a handful of fender washers about 1" in diameter with a 5/16" hole, clipped some clear 3/8" tubing to four pieces about 1/2" long to put in the rack holes that are about 13 mm diameter to take up a little space between the hole diameter and the bolt size. Picked up some 1" sticky back anti skid furniture pads, stuck them on the fender washers, then drilled the washers with the pads.

Mounted it all up with a stack that started with the cap screw head, 15 mm flat washer, fender washer, pad, case wall, pad (stuck to the case), then through the short piece of tubing inside the rack, then a self locking flange nut on the bottom side of the rack, (with some blue loctite, anyway.)

Tightened everthing up, no vibes, no movement. We will see how it does on the trail.

Who knows, maybe that old case will still get to carry a pistola every now and then!

Cheers,

B

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nice work, looks good...
Wish I could do a small top box, but alas, I always need to carry some thing or another that requires a bit of room. I like the size of my case now, enough room for things and grocery’s and such. But not so huge that it looks like I’m delivering 20 pizzas. Tho I am going to get a “big” one just for travel and when I have the panniers on and need the room. I added even more storage for the outside of my cases, with MOLLE points to attach pretty much any gear that will fit there. Tho the back holders have water bottles in them, I really put them there for fuel canisters..
BTW you can get the footman loops here: https://www.strapworks.com/Footman_Loops_Spring_pins_s/38.htm
If you wanted to add a couple of strap down points for a “just incase” moment...
ROFL yea I guess I’m just a bit of a excessive storage freak, but I do motorcycle camp, so I guess it kinda comes with the territory...

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can relate to the brief case carrying disks for school in the late 80s then work. Those days are long gone now. My work stuff is all in a backpack that fits in my clutch side pannier perfectly now. Using that case like you did is a great way to reuse old stuff for a better purpose.

AT-Dragon: Is that a Corbin seat? The stitching on it looks like one. That seat looks amazing. I had one on my previous bike and just got my wife one for hers. I am hoping I don't need one for my new one as it is a two piece seat but am not adverse to getting another one.

Tweaking and customizing our bikes is something that never ends (at least for me). The "new" Honda panniers for the 2020 are Honda branded Givi Trekkers and I've already added storage accessories for mine like lid nets and a jerry can for the back of the clutch side case. (My wife's bike has a small fuel tank and she is always paranoid about running out of gas when we are on a trip together. She was the same way with the snowmobiles we used to have.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts