Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my AT for a second weekend away in France last weekend. Meant to post this sooner but work got in the way!
So for anyone interested here is my summisation of how the kit performed.
GOOD, the AT was perfect in the very cold wet and miserable weatther. We had hailstones and i was glad of traction control and ABS on the wet and near freezing French roads. Two up with luggage the bike is really easy to ride and this is a blessing when the weather turns bad. The Givi kit was all fantastic. I have Givi hard luggage with top box and this is really easy to use and fit on and off the bike. Somre really wet weather with only a few droplets inside the casues. All our clothes in carrier bags us usual. Givi tank bag with quicklock release is really handy for documents and other bits you need to get to quickly on the journey. Same for the Givi mobile phone case and mount. I have an old mobile phone in it that i only use as satnav. Much cheaper option than bike sat nav. HERE maps provided really clear directions as usual.

BAD, My left boot leaked but to be fair it is ten years old so i could forgive it for that one.

UGLY. :surprise:Ok this is the biggest disappointment. I have fitted KOSO heated grips to the bike. I found these to be virtually useless on the temperatures below 6 degrees Celsius. They are connected through an Eastern Beaver fuse box on the switched circuits side. The grips appear to function properly and red settng is hotter than blue setting. However, they were just not hot enough. If anyone has any recommended tests to perform on the grips or ideas on what i might have done incorrectly in fitting then i would be greatful. I'm in the UK and i purchased them through Ebay from the US so returning faulty items probably not a cost effective option. I'm now considering the Oxford grips instead. When your hands are freezing cold the separate heat selector for the Oxford grips (as opposed to neat integrated Koso solution) is suddenly not a big problem, lol.

Happily for me and my better half our next trip is planned for the summer over the Pyrenees so the weather should be kinder!:grin2:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Having had heated grips for years on GSs, I am avoiding them on the AT and trying heated gloves instead. Gerbing get great reviews so will see what they're like.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My Kosos are nice in that they look good but they don't get hot enough in really cold conditions. Fortunately I use Gerbings heated gloves as well. I think the Gerbings are too good - they have thick well insulated palms and this prevents what heat the Kosos generate from getting to the undersides of my hand.
The 2018 bikes have OEM heated grips fitted as standard so we must assume that Honda have sorted the problem (mustn't we? LOL)
Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL OE gips. I did have OE heated grips on my 02 Fireblade. They were simple but worked really well. They gave me the freedom to ride all year round in all year gloves. I do have thicker gloves but that seems to defeat the object of heated grips IMO. I am trying to avoid heated clothing at the moment if only to keep getting on and off the bike simpler......

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can't comment on the KOSO grips. But if you are wondering, I think the problems with the OEM heated grips have been sorted out, as I am comfortable riding on the highway down to 3C (Haven't ridden in colder yet) with the OEM ones that I had installed in October. The integrated dash indicator is nice. However, the insanely bright green light on the left grip switch is terrible. It blinks like 15 times when you switch settings and is way too bright for riding at night. I'm going to get out the black sharpie to colour mine over and dim it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting, you're the first person who has given the thumbs up to the OEM AT grips as far as i can tell!
Yeah I'm also the first person I've heard who thinks they are adequate. :laugh:This a sort of a personal opinion thing though. This is wearing my Klim leather goretex gloves that I wear in the summertime. I should also mention that this is my first pair of heated grips on a bike ever, and I'm one of those people who is generally always too warm. My partner, whos feet and hands are always cold, maybe wouldn't find that they are warm enough for her.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just completed a 14,000mile trip where the temperature dipped into the low 30deg f. I’m using heat demon heated grips with two settings a high and low. For me these $60.00 heaters worked very good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't used my own heated grips in very low temps as yet. Maybe 8c but I found them pretty good so far. 5 settings I used 2 and 3. They did the trick.
I don't really understand why they have the green led on the grip as it's repeated on the dash with a grip logo with a number next to it when you set it.
I do agree with above about the flashing green light at night. I find it very off putting, almost dangerous in wet conditions as it's blinding and unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I haven't used my own heated grips in very low temps as yet. Maybe 8c but I found them pretty good so far. 5 settings I used 2 and 3. They did the trick.
I don't really understand why they have the green led on the grip as it's repeated on the dash with a grip logo with a number next to it when you set it.
I do agree with above about the flashing green light at night. I find it very off putting, almost dangerous in wet conditions as it's blinding and unnecessary.
a dab of paint on the green light solved it for me. I suspect they are the same heated grips as for the NC750 which currently doesn't have the in-dash display so needs the green light.
Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am no electrics expert but do most of my own mods

Have you tried adding a relay?

As you may be aware all cables suffer from voltage drop
The amount will depend on what cable is used and the length of the cable

On my previous bike I fitted a Sparkbright battery monitor
This was misreading slightly due to the length of the cable from the battery
Reading up on the subject I found an article on voltage drop
I added a relay close to the battery and it worked perfectly

I think it would probably help with heated grips, but it may not be enough to be noticeable

It would be interesting to find out

·
Registered
33 Posts
I second the recommendation for Oxford premium touring grips on the 16-17 Africa Twin. They worked great, especially when connected to an Eastern Beaver harness. I will say that the OEM grips seem to have the issues worked out on the 18 ATs. I just traded for a 18 ATAS and the grips have plenty of heat.

Jon

·
Registered
33 Posts
After riding in temps less than 40 degrees F, I will backtrack and rate the OEM grips on my '18 ATAS as not warm enough. However, with heated gloves and heated grips, my hands stay toasty warm.

Jon

·
Registered
65 Posts
Boost the grips.
You need to boost the voltage to 18v.
See my report "Turbo Koso Apollo"
Recently I rode two hours at night, 135 miles, with air below freezing; low was 27F; finger tips chilled but recovered quickly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Talking of heated grips, my 2018 bike came with Oxford ones on it that I thought may have been fitted by the original owner who had the bike for only three weeks. The right hand grip looks like its been fitted upside down?
But then I just happened to be cruising the selling dealers website and found another example of what to my mind is quirky fitting.
Is this just an idiosyncrasy of this dealer's workshop or has anyone else fitted them this way? Perhaps the cable catches on the brake lever if they're fitted any other way?

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Viewed from the bar end that grip should have been fitted further clockwise so that the cable exits below the brake lever. As the throttle is opened the cable will rise and perfect fitting will leave a few mm gap between the cable and the brake lever. The way it is will work but looks crap

·
Registered
118 Posts
. The way it is will work but looks crap
Agreed. :frown2:

It grates on me every time I look at it. I'm wondering if or how I can remove and refit the grip without wrecking it. Failing that I wonder if Oxford could provide me with just one R/H grip?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agreed. :frown2:

It grates on me every time I look at it. I'm wondering if or how I can remove and refit the grip without wrecking it. Failing that I wonder if Oxford could provide me with just one R/H grip?
I have bought single Oxford grips before. I can't remember where off the top of my head. Just do an internet search for a single Oxford grip and you should come up with something. I believe I paid around $25 for a LH grip. It just plugs right into the connector from the heat controller.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Getting the grip off depends on the glue used. The supplied glue is super glue. If a couple of drops were used you may be able to get it off without damage but its unlikely. I have just fitted Oxfords and they were less than £50 from Sports bike Shop in UK.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts