Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may be a dumb question but what is the - Trip meter for and why can enter milage into it,what is its purpose.
Iv looked in my manual and it just tells you how to set the subtraction trip but not what its purpose is.

Iv had trip meters in the past which activate when you have low fuel and count how many miles you have done since reserve,but I don't understand why I would need this subtraction trip meter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can think of two possible uses for the - Trip, although the relative difficulty in setting the starting number makes it almost worthless for #1 below and only slightly better for #2:

#1 - Use it as to count down mileage to the next turn on an off road ride. Organized off road rides often have roll charts that give you precise distances to your next turn point. If you stopped at every turn point and set the mileage, it would count down to the next turn.

#2 - Use it to count down approx distance to go on the current tank of gas. You could set a mile number (I use 200) and reset it every time you fill up with gas - then it counts down to when you need to get interested in getting more gas. Not very useful given the fuel gauge and the countdown miles to go feature, but that is a potential use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I assumed it was just a countdown to when you would arrive at your destination. Enter the distance between start and finish so you know how close your are as you ride... assuming you stay on the route. Of course this feature is obsolete since most riders have GPS.

Cory

·
Registered
131 Posts
This may be a dumb question but what is the - Trip meter for?
It IS a dumb question :wink2:

If you are talking about the RNS tripmaster that came with the early released bikes (my RNS is on a shelf in the garage)

Have a read here to get loads more information http://rallyenavigationsolutions.com/honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-customers but it is mainly for those who do RALLY stages etc so that they know how far it is to the next checkpoint etc.

eg. a 'stage' is say 533km long, set the tripmaster to 533 and you can read how far is left to go or to any designated points along the way (fuel stop)

( i think???)

Anyway welcome from just down the east lancs road (leigh) :nerd:

Ian

·
Registered
22 Posts
No, it is NOT a dumb question since he's obviously not talking about the tripmaster. To quote one of my school teachers from many decades ago: "There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers" ;)

I've asked myself the same question. I cannot come up with any reasonable excuse that could explain why the Honda designers would waste any effort on this feature. But since we have it I can see one possible use: It could be used after a service like an oil change / brake fluid change, etc. to set the mileage until the next service is due. It could save a tiny bit of math to figure out if you should do a service before a trip or not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No, it is NOT a dumb question since he's obviously not talking about the tripmaster. To quote one of my school teachers from many decades ago: "There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers" ;)
He's a Liverpudlian, he will see the joke is on me for trying to be clever :x

I don't even know of this dashboard function you are taking about anyway :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
how do you set the dame thing mine just shown 2 zeros can someone explain how to set it to like 200 miles?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

I've asked myself the same question. I cannot come up with any reasonable excuse that could explain why the Honda designers would waste any effort on this feature. But since we have it I can see one possible use: It could be used after a service like an oil change / brake fluid change, etc. to set the mileage until the next service is due. It could save a tiny bit of math to figure out if you should do a service before a trip or not.
A slight variation on this - use it for chain maintenance, I used it like this on my NC750X when I decided I would follow EXACTLY the chain lube makers guidelines. IIRC it was to clean every 600 miles and lubricate every 300 (I think). So I put 600 in the minus trip meter. It was easy to see when I was approaching 300 and oil the chain then, when it approached zero it was time to use my Kettenmax chain cleaner and some paraffin. After the thorough clean it was an easy job to press reset on the minus tripmeter and the 600 miles started counting down again. (The chain maintenance didn;t really help though as those NC chains lasted only 12k miles :frown2:)
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
how do you set it ? i cant figure it out

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You need to work through the user manual but once you have put in the number that you want (sat 600) then resetting it to that each time is just a matter of holding the set button in while the minus trip is displayed and selected
Mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use it as my trip meter. I like having both the trip and total miles displayed at the same time lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts