Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

The money maker

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Ziggy 
#1 ·
After flicking the high beam switch it pinged off, so I'm left with a gaping hole, I can fiddle with my finger to turn on but not with the glove, so I took it along to my local Honda dealers, thinking there must be some quick fix 😁, err NO after the technician examined it, he said well you can't claim under warranty because it's not faulty 🤔, I scratched my head at this point, and said so when I bring it in for an MOT eventually will it pass? , NO Oh how strange but you just Mmm, so I said how much is a switch?, DRUM ROLL......... £600 for a new complete
Insect Gesture Pink Finger Thumb

Automotive tire Carbon Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior

Human body Gesture Finger Thumb Material property

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

switchgear that's it folks that's what I'm looking at unless so very clever person can show me a plastic switch for less?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know how handy you are at making things but if this happened to me, I first would look for a used switch on Ebay. If that did not work I would probably buy a micro-3/way toggle switch and remove the guts of the old switch and wire in the toggle switch. You could make a simple aluminum plate to mount the toggle switch into and use some 3m extreme double sided tape to mount the plate to the hand switch assembly and cover the hole from the old switch. I think you could make this look clean enough to be acceptable. I also would get a waterproof toggle switch cover to put on the switch.

Just a thought.

#6 ·
Once again the AT 'Knights of the Road' stand ready. No doubt there will be more help from other directions on this site but in the 6 months that I have been a contributor I am always humbled by the altruism and generosity which is displayed on a daily basis to those desperate for answers about their particular bike problem. Everybody is so generous with their time and research. A small thing in life but an important one and the selfish should learn from it. Good people on this site. As I approach the end of my riding days I salute you. Proper bikers who look after each other. I would urge the 'Ask a question and leave' to at least acknowledge the faceless people who offer their expertise at no cost, and save you hundreds of dollars or time in research, to at least have the decency to acknowledge them.
:mad:

#8 ·
Here it is. I assumed you have a 2022 DCT - If not you can go to your year bike. I know that sometimes switchgear has slight differences depending on what country you are located so these may have differences, I don't know for sure. I would check your part numbers.

#10 ·
8$ For this:
A Dremel tool..
They also make a plastic weld epoxy..
Done right other parts of the switch will snap off before that piece breaks again..

#11 ·
Does that square hole that the rocker sits on or to be more accurate is part of. Just go all the way through.
If so I’d use the “putty” to block the bottom of it off, glue the two pieces back together, drill a hole on the surface of the rocker over that square ( now plugged hole ) and then fill it up with epoxy. So not only is the rocker glued back together but now it is one solid piece.
Better still just take it apart glue those pieces back together and fill that square hole full of epoxy or putty from the bottom.
Lol I guess you see my point; I’d make that switch solid and get rid of those hollow spaces..

#14 ·
After flicking the high beam switch it pinged off, so I'm left with a gaping hole, I can fiddle with my finger to turn on but not with the glove, so I took it along to my local Honda dealers, thinking there must be some quick fix 😁, err NO after the technician examined it, he said well you can't claim under warranty because it's not faulty 🤔, I scratched my head at this point, and said so when I bring it in for an MOT eventually will it pass? , NO Oh how strange but you just Mmm, so I said how much is a switch?, DRUM ROLL......... £600 for a new complete View attachment 72270
View attachment 72269
View attachment 72272
View attachment 72271
switchgear that's it folks that's what I'm looking at unless so very clever person can show me a plastic switch for less?
the button seems to be hollow it is surely made off ABS plastics, so cut a small square rod that fits within the hollowness and glue it with super glue 👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.