Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

Registered
2020, CRF1100L SD08 DCT, black
Hi @Konstantin

Any news with your AT?

Here in the german speeking Trueadventure Africa Twin Forum we have some very similar issues with extreme oil consumption.
AT least 2 Africa Twins were took back from Honda (cust have got the money back) and were sent to Honda Japan to analyse the problem. It seems the root cause and possible solutions are still unknown ... at least the involved dealers were not informed so far.

Rgds Manfred

Registered
Some recommend oilchange @ everry 5000 miles even on cars that has 10K intervals 馃槈
i change oil and olil filters every 10000 km. and the oil do not become black as on the photos posted here (Motul 10w40) cold climate 馃嚫馃嚜
Toyotas and many other car manufacturers have had issues like this over the years. You really can't judge oil change timing based solely on miles driven. Oil change intervals have everything to do with the type of oil and the way the vehicle is operated. A high TBN synthetic oil will keep an engine clean for a longer period of time vs a standard mineral or petroleum lubricant. That being said the way the vehicle is operated is just as important. If the car or bike is driven very short distances and the oil is not allowed to heat up fully, condensation forms in the engine and moisture in the oil will allow acids to form. Engines that run for short distanced will accumulate sludge in the engine and deposits will form inside the ring lands on the piston. Synthetic oils help or reduce this but won't stop it. An engine run this way needs to have the oil changed much more frequently. Petroleum oils also are known to form deposits behind the rings in the piston ring lands(grooves). An engine run for long periods of time will heat the oil and evaporate off moisture in the oil. Oil change intervals can be increased and the engine will stay clean inside. Car engines will sludge up a lot more than a comparable motorcycle engine. Toyota had a huge problem with engine sludging on their V6 engine a few years ago and recommended oil change intervals to be reduced to 3K miles to prevent this. Most all of the engines that had this problem were cars operated in town and driven short distance mostly. This video is an example of a car that was driven very short distances mostly and the inside of the engine shows this. Another problem with modern engines is that the engineers design engines for maximum fuel efficiency. In order to reduce friction in the engine they reduce the tension on the piston rings to reduce friction. These lower tension piston rings are much more subject to problems with carbon deposits from fuels as well as oil deposits, especially if the oil is not changed frequently enough. It is common to see some new engines develop oil burning problems due to this. Sometimes using a higher detergent synthetic oil that is rated for diesel engines can help reduce oil consumption in engines with oil burning problems by cleaning up the rings and piston ring lands. I have had some success using an additive like Archoil 9100 in carboned up engines because it has a very good ability to loosen and cleanup pistons and rings. It also will dissolve sludge over time without causing the sludge to plug up oil passages.

Registered
Can you link to this case? Or a personal.
Hi @Konstantin

Please read this - also older and newer entries within this thread:
Extrem hoher 脰lverbrauch? AT 1100 - Honda Africa Twin Forum
So, the dealer has finally bought the bike back and will clarify this with Honda. Honda Germany confirmed that another AT was also took back and sent to Honda Japan.

Same with this this thread:
Warranty request was openened and the Customer will apparently get a new engine.

Everything in German of course.

Rgds, Manfred

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hi @Konstantin

Please read this - also older and newer entries within this thread:
So, the dealer has finally bought the bike back and will clarify this with Honda. Honda Germany confirmed that another AT was also took back and sent to Honda Japan.

Same with this this thread:
Warranty request was openened and the Customer will apparently get a new engine.

Everything in German of course.

Rgds, Manfred
Thank you! The problem exists and not only at me.

Registered
Hi @Konstantin,

oh, you sold the motorcycle with a defective or non-functioning engine.
I'm sorry to hear that but I suspect that you didn't have much choice in the current situation either.
Hopefully the loss wasn't too big.

Rgds, Manfred

Registered
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hi @Konstantin,

oh, you sold the motorcycle with a defective or non-functioning engine.
I'm sorry to hear that but I suspect that you didn't have much choice in the current situation either.
Hopefully the loss wasn't too big.

Rgds, Manfred
Leider gab es keine Wahl. Also ich habe es vorher nicht gemacht. Verkauft f眉r mehr als gekauft

Registered
"Unfortunately there was no choice. So I haven't done it before. Sold for more than bought."

Mmm, hopefully not without divulging the problems... :cautious:

61 - 72 of 72 Posts