Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was with a Yamaha and a Triumph today. My temperature readout never dropped below 21 deg c. The other guys told me we went as low as 14 deg C. That's just ridiculous. As well as the 20% over-read error, mine (I think) has an averaging problem. I think the software guys at Honda have built too much averaging into the device, so that it won;t register a change until maybe 5 or 6 minutes after it's registered the first drop (or rise).
For this reason I have no faith in Honda being able to fix mine under warranty, and am looking to source a really small display with an external remote - anyone know where?
Mike

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I was with a Yamaha and a Triumph today. My temperature readout never dropped below 21 deg c. The other guys told me we went as low as 14 deg C. That's just ridiculous. As well as the 20% over-read error, mine (I think) has an averaging problem. I think the software guys at Honda have built too much averaging into the device, so that it won;t register a change until maybe 5 or 6 minutes after it's registered the first drop (or rise).

For this reason I have no faith in Honda being able to fix mine under warranty, and am looking to source a really small display with an external remote - anyone know where?

Mike

Your temperature readout definitely seems far worse than mine. Mine seems to read fairly consistently about 2F higher than actual temp, at least in the temperature ranges I have had the bike in. I can live with that. If it says it’s 73F, it’s probably 71F +/-.

My wife’s readout in her AT seems to be fairly consistent with mine. Sometimes her readout will go up or down a degree quicker than mine or vice versa, but eventually they get to the same place.

They are also not had any problems reading down into the low teens F. When we did our annual New Years Day ride, it was 13F at the time of departure, display was showing 15F.

I wonder if yours isn’t particularly flawed and maybe a replacement will at least get your readout close? Or if Honda has some sort of issue when it comes to C when giving a readout?

As far as a small display, I don’t know if this Koso unit would work or not. I have no experience with them.

https://www.motosport.com/koso-mini-3-ambient-air-temperature-gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
My thermometer is also ridiculously high. Usually reads 7-10F higher than it should. I've decided it's just useless and never have it on display.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve flagged up a potential warranty claim with the dealer. I will report back
I bought one of the Docke (?) displays for my NC and it was very good but it’s just too big to go in one of the two unused squares such as where the fog lamp switch would fit and although the excellent sensor is waterproof the display unit isn’t

1 - 4 of 4 Posts