Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
That is fair mod coverage there Zippy.

I had a tent very similar to yours, but the sun ultimately cracked it up, even though it was supposedly "UV resistant".

Consider tucking the SAE battery connector in and behind the frame a bit just to make your battery circuit a wee less vulnerable. In my case, I extended the connector to under the seat so it could take advantage of the security provided by the locking seat.

Video volume level: Sometimes hard to hear your voice?

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
One feature I like with the double take mirrors when off-road it's easy to position one of them verticle so that you can have a view of the road behind you whether sitting or standing. I like to have the awareness. There is often someone much faster than me on those roads seeking to pass :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
One feature I like with the double take mirrors when off-road it's easy to position one of them verticle so that you can have a view of the road behind you whether sitting or standing. I like to have the awareness. There is often someone much faster than me on those roads seeking to pass :)
I have the Double Take mirrors on my back pocket list. They look practical.

The current OEM mirrors still work and are not broken ... yet. Also, I have to think about the Double Takes carefully as they are easily "five-fingered" while the bike is left in the parking lot. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
I have the Double Take mirrors on my back pocket list. They look practical.

The current OEM mirrors still work and are not broken ... yet. Also, I have to think about the Double Takes carefully as they are easily "five-fingered" while the bike is left in the parking lot. :rolleyes:
I have had them on a number of bikes over the years and so far haven't had a theft, but if course every area is different so YMMV.

It is too bad that RAM doesn't have an antitheft version of their mounts.

Rotopax at least has one for their fuel mounts. I worry more about fuel because almost everyone can use a can of unleaded :)

Oh yeah, the voice was a bit hard to make out at times. Almost a whisper or so it seemed on listening.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
I have had them on a number of bikes over the years and so far haven't had a theft, but if course every area is different so YMMV.

It is too bad that RAM doesn't have an antitheft version of their mounts.

Rotopax at least has one for their fuel mounts. I worry more about fuel because almost everyone can use a can of unleaded :)

Oh yeah, the voice was a bit hard to make out at times. Almost a whisper or so it seemed on listening.
RAM does, and I use it on my X-Grip holder ...

This appears similar to some locks that keep bicycles and skis from leaving the car hitch rack unexpectedly.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
I haven't figured the extra fuel thing out yet ... not sure if I need to.

Hiding a pack behind a pannier makes sense to me. But, I ain't a pannier rider ... yet.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
I haven't figured the extra fuel thing out yet ... not sure if I need to.

Hiding a pack behind a pannier makes sense to me. But, I ain't a pannier rider ... yet.
Fuel is always a concern if you are traveling in remote areas and during hours when stations may be closed. Sara and I always carry extra. We have needed to use it on more than one occasion for various reasons. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Oh cool. It is huge for a mirror stalk? Or not too bad?
It is on the large-ish size, but not intrusive, and it is secure.

I would not use it on the Double Take mirrors, but for other RAM configurations yes (e.g. the X-Grip assembly).

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Fuel is always a concern if you are traveling in remote areas and during hours when stations may be closed. Sara and I always carry extra. We have needed to use it on more than one occasion for various reasons. :)
Yeah, totally understood.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
Yeah, totally understood.
One of the funniest incidents was on a trip we were doing a few years back. We didn't fill up the cans before we left like we should have, figuring we would fill them at a later time on the road before we got into more remote areas. But Sara's bike at the time (an F800GS) sputtered and died before we made the fuel stop where we had planned to fill. I still had fuel and we figured the station wasn't more than a couple miles away. It was still broad daylight so she stayed and I headed off. I go about 30 yards and crest the the top of the hill and there is the gas station at the bottom all down hill right into their lot. Had we known and pushed her bike to the top, she could have coasted the 1/4 mile into the station. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
One of the funniest incidents was on a trip we were doing a few years back. We didn't fill up the cans before we left like we should have, figuring we would fill them at a later time on the road before we got into more remote areas. But Sara's bike at the time (an F800GS) sputtered and died before we made the fuel stop where we had planned to fill. I still had fuel and we figured the station wasn't more than a couple miles away. It was still broad daylight so she stayed and I headed off. I go about 30 yards and crest the the top of the hill and there is the gas station at the bottom all down hill right into their lot. Had we known and pushed her bike to the top, she could have coasted the 1/4 mile into the station. :)
Either way, that story ended nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts