Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where shall I start? Taking the bike offroad requires tracks that are not part of the tomtom map. I naivly imported tracks to tomtom but it didn’t work as the software was overwriting the track points and adjusted them to the map. So offroad became onroad. As it turned out tomtom onroad files are .itn extension and called routes, tracks are .gpx extensions. Those two for reason only ‘nown to tomtom it guys can not be stored on the same strorage i.e. one can be on the internal storage the other one must be on an sd card. (Really stupid as if you couldn’t have excel and word on the same hard drive at you pc/mac.) anyway i put the brand new sd card in to tom formatted it then it was not visible by either the device itself or the pc. Tomtom support suggested the solution the card needs to be fat32 formatted. Done. Card visible ...gpx file put on the card...yet the bloody device again produces and onroad version of the originally off road track. long story short I reformatted the card again with fat32 and now the card is not visible again. Also did the factory hard reset. Nothing works. Anyone any idea?

·
Registered
364 Posts
TomTom never supported "tracks" for offroad riding.
The TT rider series units work fine in areas with non-paved roads that are traveled in cars but so do regular/cheaper automobile GPS units.

Offroad and dualsport riding with a GPS is a must for me.
So, I cut my losses and moved to a Garmin Montana which is still the choice for many offroad/dualsport riding where handling tracks is mandatory.
Not promoting Garmin to be any better, overall but at least the Montana has the capability to load tracks and routes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
IMHO all these devices and apps are just too unreliable. Every time I rely on an app or smart device it crashes, freezes when I need it most. Our club standard is the MyRoute app which allows us to share routes etc. I can guarantee that I get an error code each time I use it. Maybe this stuff is not the rubbish some of us think it is, it might just be extremely complex. Either way, I have reached the age when I'm happy to be old school!

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
I never had a paper map fail me, don’t get me wrong I love the electronics, but I always carry a paper back up, guess I’m just old school that way. Of course paper maps don’t help if you can’t navigate by them either.
My zumo will drive me nuts with the routes it makes , in the end I sometimes just use it as a scrolling map and go the way I want and let it “ recalculate “ the route to the one I wanted.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess guys you may be right, I always liked maps anyway but if i got a christmas presemt from my misus I thought I start using it. Failure always annoys me.

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
I have been really happy with my Zumo over the years. No complaints. But I have thought about picking up a Garmin Oregon 700 from Costco just to play with. Price seems good at $239.

That said, I do also carry my Butler Maps, particularly the Colorado one for around here and also have Avenza Maps and Gia GPS on the phone

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts