Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm sure this has been posted before but could not find it!

I noticed some corrosion (see Pictures) on the right hand lower side of my 2017 AT (3000 Miles Only) and ACF50 from new; I took it to my local dealer who took a photo and sent it to Honda.

The response is that this is normal but if it gets worse bring it back!!

Is it Normal??

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi All,

I'm sure this has been posted before but could not find it!

I noticed some corrosion (see Pictures) on the right hand lower side of my 2017 AT (3000 Miles Only) and ACF50 from new; I took it to my local dealer who took a photo and sent it to Honda.

The response is that this is normal but if it gets worse bring it back!!

Is it Normal??
How do you wash the bike? are there any harsh solvents or chemicals used during washing? Such product may cause corrosion.

Ususally I wash my bike myself, always with low pressure tap water and products that are used for the dish. They are mild and very effective against dirt.

In gas stations or similar, many times they use hard chemical cleaners to minimize the time needed to rub insisting dirt. But those do cause issues, not only with corrosion on visible parts but also on rubber parts like the sealing gaskets on the wheels, on the chain o-rings and elsewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Likewise always myself using a hose/bucket and sponge with MUC-OFF cycle cleaner.

I normally pre-wash with water then apply MUC-OFF where needed then agitate rinse and dry..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with Harleywilma. Looks like some leftover flashing produced by dirty patterns at the foundry level and little/no clean up of the unmachined casting. I have found this particular part of the world that mass produces castings does not place such a high priority on aesthetics as the western world is accustomed or desires. It's all about fast cycle times and maintaining lowest possible cost. As long as fit, form or function is not compromised, and it is not butt ugly, it ships out the door.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Auto part Automotive exhaust Wheel Pipe Exhaust system

NORMAL..took this pic of my bike along with many others as it was delivered ...brand new ...to my home..
sounds like you have motorbike condition OCD just like me.. ha ha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts