Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unlike many folks, personally not motivated to have multiple bikes, want the fewest, most versatile, machines. Don't have much time to ride and would rather have one or two go-to platforms that can be better understood, maintained, appreciated.

Rode my AT for the first time in four months, put on 45 miles. While riding was thinking, there's just nothing I don't like about the machine - across the board it's fine - year, transmission, color. Had ridden a T700 in October and yeah they're great but what could they do my AT couldn't? I appreciate there's a world in which the desire for 3mm additional fork travel would mean a bike trade, for me something like that couldn't be more of a wash. So got to thinking, although I'll never willingly part with this AT, what would be a big enough game-changer in a machine to make it worthwhile acquiring another road-going bike? ....

And so - maybe - what might motivate me to open the checkbook might be a nicely designed, nice riding, extra-high-range, rave-reviewed, revolutionary new ADV electric. I've heard it before "I'll never own an electric" and I might never either but that's at least something different enough from my AT to even consider. Sure, I'd take a hover-bike but that's probably a little too far away. So for you, what could come down the path that would be revolutionary enough to say, "I need to think about talking to a dealer about this"?

· Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
960 Posts
I suggest staying away from electric. The tech just isn't there yet. It is getting better but still has a way to go. As has always been the case, the short pole in the tent is specific energy storage, a battery problem. And it's not getting any better soon. The tech just isn't ready unless you just want to go down to the corner 7-11 and (maybe) come back.

Thinking about things like any of the BDR rides or my desire to go on and off-road anywhere, I should like to be riding a 500 to 650-sized bike if I truly wanted to go where my soul leads without compromise. The AT is a big girl which I have dropped several times fully-loaded on messy single track outings. It is always a challenge to get her back on her feet and back on our way. The trepidation I feel when it's clear I'm in questionable territory is palpable. And this from an older US Army paratrooper and Ranger. As I get older I would like to wrestle less off-road with the bike and enjoy the ride more, even when it's sloppy. My target today is focused on a Honda XL650R or a Kawi KLR 650. These bikes are pretty inexpensive, though the cost to bring them up to gear level w/ Ol' Red is sobering. My plan for the future is less sloppy single track and more fire roads. This getting old stuff isn't for wimps as my 87-yr-old dad reminds me often enuf.

YMMV.

· Registered
2023 Africa Twin 1100 manual (on backorder)
218 Posts
Give me the Africa Twin, but 50kg lighter.
OR
Give me a CRF450L with a 10kkm+ service interval while not passing 120kg wet.

· Administrator
11,172 Posts
Unlike many folks, personally not motivated to have multiple bikes, want the fewest, most versatile, machines. Don't have much time to ride and would rather have one or two go-to platforms that can be better understood, maintained, appreciated.

Rode my AT for the first time in four months, put on 45 miles. While riding was thinking, there's just nothing I don't like about the machine - across the board it's fine - year, transmission, color. Had ridden a T700 in October and yeah they're great but what could they do my AT couldn't? I appreciate there's a world where 3mm additional fork travel would mean a bike trade, for me it couldn't be more of a wash. So got to thinking, although I'll never willingly part with this AT, what would be a big enough game-changer in a machine to make it worthwhile acquiring another road-going bike? ....

And so - maybe - what might motivate me to open the checkbook might be a nicely designed, nice riding, extra-high-range, rave-reviewed, revolutionary new ADV electric. I've heard it before "I'll never own an electric" and I might never either but that's at least something different enough from my AT to even consider. Sure, I'd take a hover-bike but that's probably a little too far away. So for you, what could come down the path that would be revolutionary enough to say, "I need to think about talking to a dealer about this"?
Do it.

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah!

I get into this circular reasoning thing where I would swing a new machine but then if so would want it to represent some living-end newfangled really cool new development ...... and realize that if not, any potential attraction would be just that it's different and that's not what I want to make a decision on. When the AT Junior in what would have been hopefully, potentially DCT turned into a fizzle I kinda lost interest in what else might be coming available. If I could snap my fingers and have my same AT in DCT in 850 and 150 lbs lighter and a few inches narrower that might be my ultimate machine - ain't gonna' happen and I appreciate I've made that same post enough to sound like a broken record -

· Registered
2017 DCT(sold), 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT Hack Rig
682 Posts
Adding a side car was the only reason I was willing to swap my 2017 DCT Std for a 2021 AS DCT.

Figured with the huge money sink that a sidecar project is, I just as well get the larger gas tank, cruise control and slightly more power. The bike was the cheap part of the project.

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Adding a side car was the only reason I was willing to swap my 2017 DCT Std for a 2021 AS DCT.

Figured with the huge money sink that a sidecar project is, I just as well get the larger gas tank, cruise control and slightly more power. The bike was the cheap part of the project.
I remember your original posts and reasonings for the sidecar project. Riding along today I did have a fleeting thought of whether a three-wheeler (of any kind) would eventually have some appeal?
Tire Wheel Helmet Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
157 Posts
Give me a reverse gear! Can I get an AMEN?!!!
so you want a goldwing?
tho Would be kinda cool if they rehashed the vfr1200x to be a lighter version of a goldwing with standard steering and reverse but keeping to a v4 or ptwin. Make it low as a vfr tho for a more adventure touring design where it is more for 70/30 at most but capable to do 50/50 if you really wanted. BUT TUBELESS WHEELS ARE A MUST

· Registered
2017 Honda Africa Twin
17 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think I have the best of both worlds, having the Honda AT for longer rides, log roads, cruising, and having a Honda 450X for trail riding, more technical single track. It's really hard to find a do all bike, unless I've missed something. It kind of makes me giggle to see AT owners try and do trials they just really shouldn't be doing. But who am I to judge.

· Registered
2017 Honda Africa Twin
17 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think I have the best of both worlds, having the Honda AT for longer rides, log roads, cruising, and having a Honda 450X for trail riding, more technical single track. It's really hard to find a do all bike, unless I've missed something. It kind of makes me giggle to see AT owners try and do trials they just really shouldn't be doing. But who am I to judge.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 35 Posts