Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without accessing the throttle body ends of course.

There must be a way to loosen the cables without half disassembling the bike? Does anyone know how?

I've tried the tensioning nuts at the throttle switch block, but a) the return cable doesn't seem to have any, and b) the mechanism for the main cable seems to be in fully loosened position with the cable still relatively taught - from the factory like this I assume.

This is to replace the throttle tube, by the way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I found a solution, but I doubt this one is in any "how to" publications.

I slid the half-housing and throttle tube off the end of the handle bar. The cables had just enough slack. I then pulled the throttle tube away from the housing, along the axis of the throttle cables. There was just enough slack to get the lip of the tube over the edge of the housing and out, which gave plenty of slack to remove the cables.

Installation of the new throttle tube was the reverse - cables in position, prise the tube into the half-housing, slide back on to the handlebar.

Your mileage may vary. All care and no responsibility. In no way do I recommend this procedure. If you do it and stuff something up, I am most definitely not to blame. It's probably the government's fault.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was installing these AU$12 (the price has risen since I bought them, I think the word may be spreading) heated grips. They have an integrated throttle tube, as well as an integrated Off - 1 - 2 - 3 switch.

I highly recommend them, I've had the same type on my K1100LT for a few years. You may find cheaper examples with a bit of searching.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to ricketyclik for posting this - I had the same problem, interestingly because I bought the exact same heated grips hah! I'll do a youtube on how to install these fantastic grips (cheap + 'invisible' = win) for anyone else who wants to install them, it's all fairly straightforward except for the 'lack of slack' in the throttle cable. Thanks again ricketyclik!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've used those same grips on my CB500X and found them fantastic. Nice heat and like you said are practically invisible. Easy to operate as well without even having to look at a separate controller like on the Oxfords. I'll be putting the same ones on my AT this coming winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts