Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody find anything that works

MeCasa

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought and tried the Kaoko. I thought the installation was overly difficult and the whole thing hard to adjust. I then bought an Atlas Throttle Lock and like it a lot. Much easier to install and use. I have a Kaoko for sale, just make me an offer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You a helluva salesman...The Kaoko didn't work well so I need a dumbass to sell it to

How about you MeCasa?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Kaoko and the Atlas are about the same price, the Kaoko looks more substantial

MeCasa

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the Kaoko. I was easy to install and works well. You just have to learn how to unhook the internal balance weight from the bolt, so you can re-connect it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do heated grips affect the throttle lock? I have a set of Oxford Heaterz that I was going to install the same time as the lock.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had to return a Kaoko as it doesn’t work with the oe heated grips.

I bought one of these for my euro trip this year. I was actually quite impressed with how well it worked. I quickly got used to it and it was a god send on the boring motorway bits. I had expected to throw it away, but it now resides under my seat for long distance duties.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

I bought one of these for my euro trip this year. I was actually quite impressed with how well it worked. I quickly got used to it and it was a god send on the boring motorway bits. I had expected to throw it away, but it now resides under my seat for long distance duties.
Thanks Davy - you have answered a question in advance for me. I was surprised to find that the Kaoko worked fine with my Koso heated grips. I guess I'm going to need to get them moved over or buy new Kosos for the 2018 model if I trade up in April.
Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts

In the States these are sold as "Crampbusters" or something like that. I leave mine on all the time; just wind it down out of the way in town. Fits over the Oxford grip.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been using the original Atlas unit for over a year and it still works well.
I see that they have an updated unit with separate engage and disengage buttons.
I like that it is on the inside of the throttle for usability of it by your thumb and rotates with the throttle.
Would buy again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just installed a Kaoko, easy install. Went for a ride, works great. Comes with two thrust washers, one for oem heated grips and one with standard oem grips. Great addition for me!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just installed a Kaoko, easy install. Went for a ride, works great. Comes with two thrust washers, one for oem heated grips and one with standard oem grips. Great addition for me!
Thanks - that's worth knowing. I will see if they supply the thrust washers separately
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too installed a Kaoko on my 2018 ATAS with the factory heated grips and it works fine. The installation was straight forward you just need to ensure you use the correct spacer / washer. What impresses me most? As the bike is throttle by wire I found the throttle to be 'jerky' over longer rides and on uneven roads. By partially winding the Kaoko on it takes out the jerkiness out of the throttle making for a much smoother ride. Worth it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hopefully Kaoko are now supplying the correct items to enable fitment with the Honda heated grips.

Saying that, I’m so happy with my solution, I wouldn’t spend the £££’s on the Kaoko now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’m using the Go-cruise throttle lock $25.00 on my AT , also have it on my concourse 1400 , hasn’t affected my heated grips ,everything works perfect. First bought this lock in 2008 ,very easy to use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My take

Tried an Atlas throttle lock on my 2017 Africa Twin. Two things I did not like about it were the side to side play and the slow creep of the throttle closing even with the thickest pad installed. Having made throttle locks in the past, I decided to make one for the Twin. It works on the end of the throttle similar other designs that cost 100$ or more (having a lathe in the basement helps). If anyone would like to try an Atlas make me an offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have followed this thread and the cheap Oring thread for throttle controller. I did this and it works, so far.
Some years ago I saw an infomercial for Miracle Wrap, self-fusing tape. They wrapped some tape around the finger and then rolled it down to create...an o-ring.
After measuring the bar end weight I thought 1" pvc was the right diameter. Not sure how many wraps I did but rolled it over itself and once installed it works perfectly. There are different colors of Miracle Wrap and this stuff should be in all tool kits.
I have no ties to Miracle Wrap, just a customer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hate to revive an old thread but apparently I can't start a new thread since being a fairly new member.

I bought the Kaoko for my 2018 ATAS DCT. When I put it all together it binds. I have the appropriate spacer for the heated grips. It appears I need to move the throttle tube inwards to create more clearance. I pulled off the brake lever to access the right hand grip. I pulled off that cover but can't see any way of adjusting it. Am I missing some sort of set screw or some way of adjusting it?

Unfortunately I had to put it all back together as I had to ride the bike to pick up something. I don't want to tear it all apart until I have a solution. It looks like if I could move the throttle tube inward about 5mm or so it would probably work and not bind when all tightened up. They just have made cruise an option since it is ride by wire and easy to implement.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts