Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a Super Tenere S10, I REALLY miss the excellent cruise control.
I thought I would overcome this by using a Go Cruise throttle lock that has been in my garage for years.
It will not hold the throttle no matter how tight the thumbscrew is. Tried putting duct tape around grip, still no good.

What do you inmates here use as a throttle lock that works???
Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Throttle Lock Thoughts

I have used Go Cruise throttle locks for several years on several models. Work great for me at a very easy price to live with.

Go to Ebay - type in Go Cruise Throttle locks - check them out for yourself.

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Texasten,

I have the Kaoko on my AT and after getting used to it I like it. I have used Vista Cruise throttle locks on three other bikes and was very happy them. You can get the Vista Cruise for around $35. If performance is your only concern buy the Vista.
However, the Kaoko blends in with the bike and looks like it belongs there. It took me a few days riding before I got it setup just the way I like it. Is it worth $100 more than the Vista? Depends on how important appearance is to you.

I'm in Arlington and I would be glad to show it to you if that would help with the decision.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Kaoka looks very nice, but bloody expensive...
I'll be having a look and some pictures to try and make one myself on the lathe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used to have a Kaoko on the XL1000 but it was a bit of a pain to use. I have just ordered the Atlas Throttle lock that Zoro has the link to above. I expect to get them next week will post up what its like, looks very easy to fit and easy to operate

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have used Go Cruise throttle locks for several years on several models. Work great for me at a very easy price to live with.

Go to Ebay - type in Go Cruise Throttle locks - check them out for yourself.
I use one of these on my NC750X DCT and it is very good for a 30 second hands-off wrist shake, but it's nowhere near the same as a proper cruise control (it only keeps a constant speed on flat ground). And for DCT owners who actually switch between A and M please be aware that it gets in the way of your forefinger reaching the switch. But I find it a useful gizmo for the money
Mike
PS DCT owners should also be aware that with this or any other device that works against the spring-loaded throttle closing action, you have to be conscious that in an emergency there is an extra step - close the throttle as you grab the brake. On a manual bike you probably grab the clutch instinctively but that option isn't open to DCT bikers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got the atlas as well. It's alright, manual throttle locks are never going to be as proper cruise control especially if you live some where hilly.

·
Registered
794 Posts
An update...Touratech contacted me after I returned the Kaoko to say that there was a thrust washer missing from the one they sent me which is why it wouldn't work with the Honda grips. They're in the process of updating their site to reflect this development. I'll maybe try again when their stock is correct.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I just installed my Kaoko and it came with 2 thrust washers. The shallow one is for OEM Honda heated grips and the deep one is for stock grips. There is a new video posted on installing the Kaoko on the AT and he explains this as well. The instructions don't tell you this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Install of throttle lock, removal of bar/throttle end cap

Can someone confirm for me the method to remove the stock end cap to remove the stock handguard out of the way. Is it standard thread direction, ie left to loosen, right to tighten. Mine seems to be frozen solid in place even with the correct sized hex into it. Any tricks/suggestions welcome

1 - 20 of 28 Posts