Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asking a few questions about the AT. Thanks for your help so far. I'm still waiting on an insurance check though (40 days and counting) so I've got nothing better to do than pester you folk.

I rented an AT last week -- put 300 miles on it in about 8 hours. I was happy with the handling and comfort but I'm curious about the throttle response. On the highway, if I rolled on the throttle, I thought the bike felt a little weak in it's response. I say this in comparison to my old (and dead) t120. Both bikes put out the same torque within three or so pounds, and the Twin has significantly more horsepower. I guess I was expecting more oomph. I did get to a 100mph pretty quickly, but it still felt lazy, if that makes sense.

Could it be the traction control? I never thought to fiddle with the settings, so it stayed in max mode the whole time. Had I reduced it, would I have gotten a more snappy response? I ride two-up a decent amount, and when I make a pass, I like to overtake a vehicle quickly. I also like torque for positioning on the hwy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I came from sportbikes (and various dirtbikes) with the last being an Aprilia Tuono. My AT is not a Tuono for sure. I recently test road a 2017 BMW G1200GS demo bike (therefore stripped down, light as it ever will be) and it had definitely more giddy-up-go. But, I got back on my AT riding away from the dealership and thought it's not like crazy different. Now my experience with V-twins is get a KTM 1290 and you are going to feel like on a rocket. No replacement for displacement!

I have not ridden two up, but did do a cross country ride loaded with a big tail duffle bag. Plus, I'm 225 lbs as well. I'm not expert and do not claim as such, but I have ridden a fair number of different sportbikes etc. and do know EXHILIRATING acceleration. The AT does not fall into that category.....

1) What is your planned riding? If you are off-road a lot the more 'power' you have the more you have to control. OR be fiddling with electronic settings to get what you want. Personally, I think the AT is a good compromise between road going power and off-road controllability.

2) When you go up (altitude) power on any bike goes down. As I summited passes I certainly had to shift gears more. Are you riding high elevations? Two-up you'll want to start with more HP down low to have the power up high.

3) Plan your pass. Do you ride high traffic roads where you know you'll be making passes often? OR just once in awhile? Bottom line the AT takes one or two downshifts to make that jump. But, I made stupid-ass passes (Hey, just admitting it) around big lines of slow ass vehicles on a beautiful curvy road. It got it done and I was to 'stupid speed' pretty **** quick.

4) I couldn't believe how well the AT cruised the long straight highways of the desert at 80 to 100 when desired (I had places to be so sue me)....

At the end of the day you really need to think that like most Honda motorcycles (not just my thought, but seems to be a generally stated in the mags as well) the AT is a middle of the road bike. More HP than the smaller singles and twins (650s to 800s), but it's not 1200cc+ type HP either. It's not 650 light off road, but will feel lighter than the 1200GS off-road (just my personal thought after testing one). The AT is Honda middle-of-the-road. Not the absolute greatest at any one thing, but pretty good at a lot of things. If the bike 'fits' your riding for everything else except passing with aplomb, you just have to know it going in.

Sorry for long post, but I like to know what I'm getting and I didn't get to demo an AT before purchase and have had to accept some things that I didn't know when I bought it. So just hoping I give you info that helps with an informed purchase which I think equates to happy ownership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good thoughts. Thank you.

I'm not expecting sport bike performance.... Just wondering how I could go from a bike that made 71 horses and 72 pounds of torque to a 82 horsey with 65 lbs and notice that much less snap. I guess 7 pounds is a big difference.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not to insult your intelligence but was it a DCT and did you allow the bike to downshift on its own? While you can let the bike drop a gear, I think most DCT owners blip down before they need the power as D mode is VERY conservative.
If it was non DCT then I'm surprised. No the AT isn't a rocket, but it certainly has descent acceleration for what it is and I'm coming from a Hayabusa.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All good thoughts. Thank you.

I'm not expecting sport bike performance.... Just wondering how I could go from a bike that made 71 horses and 72 pounds of torque to a 82 horsey with 65 lbs and notice that much less snap. I guess 7 pounds is a big difference.
Per this thread it shows your numbers expectation is right on, but goes on to say the bike seems "Honda’s motor feels much livelier than the dyno chart indicates, pulling strongly from down low and revving out with decent gusto up top". So not sure how to explain your power lacking experience.

http://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...nda-crf1000l-africa-twin-dyno-chart-here.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts