Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When running hard for extended time this sucker becomes a blast furnace.

Won't leave on another summer trip unless I have highway pegs installed....stop the inside of my thighs from blistering

MeCasa

Reactions: Dan Reed

·
Registered
963 Posts
Really?
I'd say this is likely one of the coolest running bikes that I've been on. V-twins and V-Fours run really hot and undertail exhausts BBQ your underside but I can't say the AT generates enough heat to even feel it if the bike is moving. Even in long runs of traffic it's pretty good. Where are you finding the heat coming from?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The entire engine was throwing heat. I just left northwest Montana to Houston and I was running at 90 for hours on end (speed limit is 80). The air was cool at altitude but once I hit the plains the heat off the engine was annoying. Rained between Kansas to Houston so the heat was not a problem, but it was hot and dry south of Houston and once more I was trying to elevate my feet to get the air passing beneath my legs

Could be the speed, not sure because the bike is new to me...flew to Montana to bring it back. Could be just kicking down to 80 solves the problem

Old hand at long distance riding....not a whiner

It was annoying

MeCasa

·
Registered
105 Posts
Running 90 for hours on end... Other than full touring bikes, how many bikes are going to run cool like that?

What RPM = 90mph on the AT?

I don't go on long high speed rides yet, but I have never had a problem with heat myself.

I can put my arms down by my legs while riding and feel the heat blowing around my legs. I don't even notice that on my covered legs though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can't read the tach (hate dash) but it's straight above the left side of the first 8 (actually running 88 because it's less than 10 above speed limit)

The purpose of this bike is to run long and hard, it's 1000cc. In my experience you spend a lot more time getting to the playground than in the playground. If the playground was near home I'd do better with a smaller bike. The purpose of 1000cc's is to run hard blacktop getting to/between wilderness.

We're talking serious blown heat. Once I figure out exactly where it's coming from I can try to deflect it. The bike was new this trip...I didn't even know it had two radiators.

MeCasa

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello Mecasa,

i picked up my ATAS this Saturday and rode it for 421 miles total in 9 hours, from the dealer in San Jose, CA to Pasadena, CA.

I rode it through PCH all the way down to Cambria, from Cabria, I merged into the 101 because that's where the fun and beauty ends (IMO).

I encountered a crazy weather getting to Templeton and riding south from there, it was probably around 4:30 pm, and the weather outside was hot, sometimes peaking at 105 from what the gauge in my ATAS told me. During this part of the road I was riding anywhere from 70 to 85 MPH.

I was very hot, i was wearing my riding jeans with kevlar and hip/knee protectors, they are black and i know for a fact that they run hot, from my previous riding experiences in my 2014 HD Fat Bob. I was also wearing a hoodie because i didn't want to get sunburned. I have a Bell Bullitt helmet, good air flow, so my head was not too hot. My gloves are some half fabric half leather from RSD, kinda hot.

But, even tho that high weather and the black riding jeans, I did not feel the bike running hot.

I have ridden my Fat Bob on the PCH over at Malibu, and while lane splitting I used to rev the engine hard, so that the car drivers would move to the side so we could lane split. That bike gave me blisters on my right calf from the heat. I had to use 1 extra heat shield from the exhaust. But still the engine would be emitting so much heat.

I have crossed Death Valley during Summer in a 128 degree heat, on top of a 2016 Road Glide Special. This was hot. Extremely Hot.

So, I don't think that the Africa Twin's run hot, at least not my ATAS with the DCT.

I will pay more attention tho, and I will keep you updated on how the heat situation goes if I do long rides.

Keep us posted and ride safe!

·
Registered
133 Posts
90mph indicated on the speedo at around 5000rpm on my 2016 manual.
85-90mph needed in the UK to join traffic in the fast lane and during the recent warm spell with the air temp gauge showing 34C my bike didn't overheat on a non stop run from Newcastle to Stamford at those sort of speeds, never revealed more than 3 bars on the water temp gauge.
The fans did cut in however and the heat can be felt on your legs when they do.
Can't see this bike overheating if everything is functioning normally.
Running in dirty air fairly close to the vehicle in front tends to have the fans cutting in a little earlier but I would be happy to run this engine all day long at higher speeds as even when I've been on the tank and run it to the stop it never felt stressed or increased any on the water temp gauge.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,

I never said the engine was running hot, **** I wouldn't know where the temp gauge was as that dash is too complex and hard to see for my old eyes. I said the engine was throwing hot air on my legs. If it's coming from those vents where the fan motors sit I'll be able to build some plexiglass diverters with just enough angle to kick it off me.

Cup half empty, cup half full...the hot air will be great during cold weather runs :)

MeCasa

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree, I think those with longer legs will notice it more as the knees are closer to where the hot air is expelled. I'm 6'1" 34-35 inseam, and you can clearly feel the heat being pushed by the fans.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Fair enough. I've done 12-14 hour continuous riding days at 100-120 kph (60-75 mph) several times in 30 celcius heat and haven't felt heat myself other than ambient temperature outside.

90 mph isn't the norm for this bike as it is not a full-fledged tourer and where can you legally ride that speed in the US anyhow? ;) It seems to love 55-70 mph for fuel economy and comfort.

Are you wearing riding gear and boots? Just a thought. Good luck with your heat woes. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a special exemption from US speed limits, when in Canada I simply wear a Harry Potter invisibility cloak so that the cameras can't see me. Unfortunately I spent a lifetime of getting in trouble before I got the cloak and exemption.

If the air is being driven out from where that fan motor is it shouldn't be hard to divert it out farther without changing the aerodynamics much. Since I just got the bike and now know what I'm looking for I should be able to narrow down the heat source.......ya'll can check too.....I can't do anything about that foolish overly complex and hard to see dash but I will fix this problem

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello,

I never said the engine was running hot, **** I wouldn't know where the temp gauge was as that dash is too complex and hard to see for my old eyes. I said the engine was throwing hot air on my legs. If it's coming from those vents where the fan motors sit I'll be able to build some plexiglass diverters with just enough angle to kick it off me.

Cup half empty, cup half full...the hot air will be great during cold weather runs :)

MeCasa
I'm 64 and without reading glasses it took me ages to realise trip A and trip B are on the bottom above the temp gauge and I could then set them.
The air temp is about third row up and not really easy to see without squinting a bit.
When the fans cut in I stick my knees well out and let a bit of air to my bits.
Forward controls and ape hangers would let some air in though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We're the same age Skimmer but I'm sure I'm better looking. That dash confuses me, you would think they would go simplistic because it's a given that we'll eventually break down in the middle of nowhere. Readable tach and speedo would be fine with me.

Highway pegs would help a lot to kick that hot air below our legs

MeCasa

·
Registered
133 Posts
We're the same age Skimmer but I'm sure I'm better looking. That dash confuses me, you would think they would go simplistic because it's a given that we'll eventually break down in the middle of nowhere. Readable tach and speedo would be fine with me.

Highway pegs would help a lot to kick that hot air below our legs

MeCasa
Better looking than me, you must have all your mirrors shiny side to the wall.:wink2:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have noticed some heat but I don't find it uncomfortable even in 100+ F weather. I think "noticeably warmer than ambient" better describes it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm now pretty sure it was the speed I was running.....I don't run that fast normally but in places like Kansas riding fast is the only entertainment available.

And other than the heat the bike handled the speed well, still plenty of throttle left at 85...kick down to 5th the amount of acceleration is very impressive

I like the bike, I'll put up with some heat at high speed....should be a good warning to slow down or pay a ticket

MeCasa

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just rode my 1000 Africa Twin from Nebr. to Mexico and back. The only heat I felt was the HOT WEATHER HEAT! I would like a good pair of highway pegs tho. Where can I get a good pair?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just rode my 1000 Africa Twin from Nebr. to Mexico and back. The only heat I felt was the HOT WEATHER HEAT! I would like a good pair of highway pegs tho. Where can I get a good pair?
What was your average speed?.....and I think I'll have to make the highway pegs...tube stock u-bolted around the square frame right above the exhaust, usually take rubber handlebar grips and glue them on the ends to deaden vibration. Have to wait till I get the crash guards to see how they fit...I didn't want to add weight but everything on this bike cost a million dollars to fix so crash guards are a necessity. Just found out that the headlight is over $1000...pisses me off

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in Texas and I wear shorts from Spring to Fall and the air is down to 84 this time of year.

This beast throws a lot of heat....I'm going to build some removable summertime deflectors

Thank you for your input :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Riding gear - shorts. I think you've just narrowed down the possibilities for the heat issue. :grin2:
In full riding gear, with boots and my commuting riding pants, I feel almost nothing for heat.

I live in Texas and I wear shorts from Spring to Fall and the air is down to 84 this time of year.

This beast throws a lot of heat....I'm going to build some removable summertime deflectors

Thank you for your input :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts