Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if others like me think that a lot of the fasteners are overtightened at the Factory. I have found that some small fasteners have been very tight when only designed to be tightened to a few NM torque.
Here is the latest example of overtightening on my ATAS
My new fork shield arrived today to hopefully reduce buffeting. A simple piece of plastic that fits over the front of the tank. To fit is easy, remove four screws, fit the new air dam with four new longer screws and washers, what could be easier
The first 2 screws came out easily. The third was really tight and eventually released with a snap. When I came to the final front RHS screw I could see a crack in the RHS fairing panel. I tried to remove the screw and it was so tight that the nut beneath turned and chewed up the RHS fairing and the crack opened up. The screw will need drilling out and the fairing panel is knackered.
So be warned. A lot of fasteners are very tight and the hex heads are not very deep. A chewed hex head, a spinning seized nut or a stripped thread, take your pick.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My triple clamp bolts were all way over-torqued from the box. I went over the whole thing since I bought it in the winter and couldn't ride it for 4 months. Most other fasteners seemed reasonable or at least I didn't break anything.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've noticed a a few small screws have been tight when trying to remove, but rather than forcing them, just warm them up with a hair dryer or soldering iron, it'll just soften the red loctite they put on at the factory, worked for me :smile2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes - The other thing I have noticed is that all engine bolts etc were assembled dry.
Whilst fitting some engine bars I had to remove them and found that were very corroded.

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
55 Posts
My handlebar chocks were way over-tightened from the factory - almost broke a very high quality tool trying to loosen. I recommend you check and loosen so that your bars can rotate under sudden stress (and not bend).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts