Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this crack on my front rim when I was replacing a flat tube. I'm guessing this means it's time for a new rim. Unless this can be repaired? The crack is mirrored on the other side.

·
Registered
743 Posts
That shouldn't happen. New rim for sure - I'd be talking to the dealer and Honda Canada.
The crack is most likely at the welded joint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That shouldn't happen. New rim for sure - I'd be talking to the dealer and Honda Canada.
The crack is most likely at the welded joint.
Thanks, Figured as much.

Probably won't make a fuss about it. Bike is a 2018 with almost 30000km on it, and there's some pretty hard miles mixed in there. I know for a fact I have hit some things pretty hard.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks, Figured as much.

Probably won't make a fuss about it. Bike is a 2018 with almost 30000km on it, and there's some pretty hard miles mixed in there. I know for a fact I have hit some things pretty hard.
I've also hit some things pretty hard. Recently had Greens massage 3 decent bends and straighten my from rim. The rim shouldn't crack at the weld unless welded poorly or heat treatment post weld was done wrong. I was able to buy a used complete set of wheels with disks form my 2017.
Check around. The rims are not cheap!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've also hit some things pretty hard. Recently had Greens massage 3 decent bends and straighten my from rim. The rim shouldn't crack at the weld unless welded poorly or heat treatment post weld was done wrong. I was able to buy a used complete set of wheels with disks form my 2017.
Check around. The rims are not cheap!
I'll take a look for sure, I bought a used rim for one of my previous bike and it saved me a fortune. I'm also considering getting a tougher rim and lacing it with these spokes, assuming that they are all in good condition. While it won't quite be as tough as some of the fully build aftermarket sets it should be an improvement over stock. looks like the excel A60 might come in a 21x2.15 (I'm not sure if I want that or the 1.85 though)

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
706 Posts
Noticed this crack on my front rim when I was replacing a flat tube. I'm guessing this means it's time for a new rim. Unless this can be repaired? The crack is mirrored on the other side.
Yup, that's a definite "toss this rim" condition. But are these rims truly welded? (See @black99S note above.)

I would imagine these mass-produced rims are milled or stamped, though not necessarily forged. See the video below to get an idea about how similar things get made:

If they're welded then I suspect they're extruded, rounded, then welded. Right?

Willy's little engineer is curious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any 21" 36 hole rim should work right? I have a 21x1.60 spare around I could lace up to finish out the season while I wait for a better replacement. I know it will have an effect on handling, but I don't want to just be on the sidelines for the final short stretch of my riding season.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any 21" 36 hole rim should work right? I have a 21x1.60 spare around I could lace up to finish out the season while I wait for a better replacement. I know it will have an effect on handling, but I don't want to just be on the sidelines for the final short stretch of my riding season.
After some research, this does not appear to be the case (surprising nobody I'm sure)

I'm trying to find out if the current rim I have will work or not, but in the meantime I reached out to Excel about a replacement rim in either 2.15 or 1.85 width.

They gave me this part number for the 2.15: IEK408

They do have a rim with the same drill pattern in 1.85 (P/N IDK408) but couldn't confirm fit because it wasn't listed in their chart.

I highly suspect it will fit without issues, but I've also reached out to woodys wheel works to see what they think since it appears they fit this rim as an option in their rim builder.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rims normally crack on one side of the weld. From the pic I cant see a weld. But it happens. Low pressures, big hits, flex and age takes its toll.
We replace, on average about 1.5 rims a motocross season. (before covid)
Takasago A60's are the best from Excel
ST-X are the best from DID. These two rims are the elite for tubed wheels. Forget anything chinese, we have tried a lot. And go for the 2.15

Reactions: Svendus

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rims normally crack on one side of the weld. From the pic I cant see a weld. But it happens. Low pressures, big hits, flex and age takes its toll.
We replace, on average about 1.5 rims a motocross season. (before covid)
Takasago A60's are the best from Excel
ST-X are the best from DID. These two rims are the elite for tubed wheels. Forget anything chinese, we have tried a lot. And go for the 2.15
I'm definitely going for the excel, it seems to be the easiest for me to get.

What makes you suggest sticking with the wider rim?

·
Registered
170 Posts
What makes you suggest sticking with the wider rim?
Theres not much in it, strength and contact patch are 2.
Other considerations at this time. Going tubeless, Colour match (powder vs anodised), resale value you'd want both rims to match.
Check the back rim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts