Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1800 miles and the one edge of certain knobbies are worn very uneven and near the wear bars.

No shakes or wobbles at any speed so balance should be ok. Its a little noisy going down the road but not noticeable very well since this bike has stupid amounts of wind buffeting noise issues.

This normal tire wear for this tire? It doesn't seem to be lasting long. The original tread depth certainly doesn't seem to be very large to begin with. The rear is fairing much better.

This is with the stock Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross Tourer AX41F tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
786 Posts
Are you running std tire pressure?

·
Registered
187 Posts
That tread pattern is obviously susceptible to that type of wear.
Tire pressures and front brake/throttle usage are the catalysts...too little of the one, too much of the others.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have Michelin Anakee Adventure on my bike and I liked them to start with but now at 8000 miles the front is getting low and the back tyre has loads left in it apart from the fact that the wear on the back of the blocks is lots more than on the front of the same block, so it is a bit like having the tremors especially going round corners when its akin to having chatter on the bike, Going for Conti Trail Attack 4, Smooth Lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm usually fairly aggressive on the front brakes and do run at 31psi for a bit softer ride.

Just seems like an overly fast wearing tire is what I was getting at.

When the time comes, I'll be getting a dual compound tire for a replacement so the center wears better. I assume someone makes these in this size.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,373 Posts
Pretty much any front tire that is somewhat “knobby” has always had a uneven tread wear on any of my bike that have seen a lot of tarmac..

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got early tire wear from them as well although not cupping. Up the pressure . I like the tires but wear made me switch to to switch to the Trail MAx Mission, that and the noise the Bridgstones put out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Had the same thing happening on the TKC70s
The front developed the same kind of cupping or uneven wear between neighbouring knobs.

Seems this is one of these facts of life.
Wanna have good off road grip while also being able to ride reasoably well on the tar. The Enduro riders dilemma.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
481 Posts
Had the same thing happening on the TKC70s
The front developed the same kind of cupping or uneven wear between neighbouring knobs.

Seems this is one of these facts of life.
Wanna have good off road grip while also being able to ride reasoably well on the tar. The Enduro riders dilemma.
i think the Mitas E-07+ will do the job even on wet tarmac

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with the comments about low tire pressure leading to early cupping. On my bike I started running three psi higher than the sticker on the bike recommends but still within the tire manufacturer's limits and this has made a significant difference

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm usually fairly aggressive on the front brakes and do run at 31psi for a bit softer ride.

Just seems like an overly fast wearing tire is what I was getting at.

When the time comes, I'll be getting a dual compound tire for a replacement so the center wears better. I assume someone makes these in this size.
Have the same issue with the AX41's. Tarmac will kill em quick. I found one side wears faster than the other especially knobbies due to the dome shape of most 2 lane roads.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Looks like some life left, eh @Svendus?
Yes i think round 5000 km left on the rear tyre
but the front tyre has suffererd from a period with a small puncture from the inside off the tube, that i was not aware off and i drove many kilometer with rather low air pressure
and because the DAKAR version are extremely stif you do not feel it before the tyre becomes noisy you can see the uneven wear on the front tyre do to low air pressure 👍

·
Registered
423 Posts
A suspension damping problem is usually indicated by tire cupping.

In many cases cupping can be caused from excessive compression damping causing a wheel to hop rather than stay planted when hitting bumps or joints in the road. A slight hop may not be noticeable but can cause uneven cupping. Too little compression damping can also do this as the wheel is allowed to travel excessively when hitting a bump. In general if you feel more of a hit or sharpness to hitting bumps or joints without bottoming out this can be because of excessive damping action. To much rebound damping will also keep the wheel from staying grounded and cause cupping and on really washboard surfaces the suspension can actually pump down. Too little rebound will make the front end feel really loose when on rough roads though the ride may be smooth but more imprecise feeling in turns.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
A suspension damping problem is usually indicated by tire cupping.

In many cases cupping can be caused from excessive compression damping causing a wheel to hop rather than stay planted when hitting bumps or joints in the road. A slight hop may not be noticeable but can cause uneven cupping. Too little compression damping can also do this as the wheel is allowed to travel excessively when hitting a bump. In general if you feel more of a hit or sharpness to hitting bumps or joints without bottoming out this can be because of excessive damping action. To much rebound damping will also keep the wheel from staying grounded and cause cupping and on really washboard surfaces the suspension can actually pump down. Too little rebound will make the front end feel really loose when on rough roads though the ride may be smooth but more imprecise feeling in turns.
I was told by a professional to day that if the font tyre first have been damaged do to low pressure the uneven wear will continue with the right pressure do to the vibration in the front fork 🤢

1 - 19 of 19 Posts